Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 06:13   #1

BVI- Scuba Diving

Hi All...

Chartering again in October, but this time am going to rent dive equipment as my lady is now certified.

I already did an advanced search and didn't find the specific information I was seeking. Here is a helpful link for general information....

Scuba diving in the British Virgin Islands travel guide - Wikitravel

My specific questions...

1) Do most of you rent gear from the Charter company or use one of the local dive shops? Moorings has a package deal for the week that seems reasonable. I would think that going with the Moorings would save some hassle even if it is a bit more expensive.

2) Have any of you had any difficulty refilling your tanks? I've read that sometimes this could be rather time consuming esp. if the "tank filler guy" is busy mon or not even in.

3) Do you have a specific dive shop that you like?

4) Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. From what I've read, no major issues diving on your own. No strong currents to sweep you away for instance and the dives are fairly shallow.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-07-2016, 18:31   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: BVI- Scuba Diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
1) Do most of you rent gear from the Charter company or use one of the local dive shops? Moorings has a package deal for the week that seems reasonable. I would think that going with the Moorings would save some hassle even if it is a bit more expensive.
I would recommend you bring your own equipment but not tanks. Its not that the equipment is not available but do you really want to depend on equipment that you have no clear understanding of its maintenance record? Otherwise, just stick with the moorings rentals for everything but tanks because you will have to return the gear at some point and its easier to return it when you get back to base.

Quote:
2) Have any of you had any difficulty refilling your tanks? I've read that sometimes this could be rather time consuming esp. if the "tank filler guy" is busy mon or not even in.
This can happen. If we are diving around jost van dyke we use jost van dyke dive tanks, if we are around mid islands like Peter, we use a local dive shop and swap the tanks for refill. Some dive ops will deliver and exchange dive tanks right on your boat.

Quote:
3) Do you have a specific dive shop that you like?
They are all pretty equal unless you are getting training or taking a tour.

Quote:
4) Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. From what I've read, no major issues diving on your own. No strong currents to sweep you away for instance and the dives are fairly shallow.
Wrong. There are definitely currents that can be dangerous. We like diving off the southern ends of the southern islands and the currents can be wicked (not the worst but still). Remember to always start your dive INTO the current.

Most of the dives are wall dives and generally go from 30 to 60 or maybe 70 feet. There are a few that go deeper. There are a few wreck dives that are fun. One of our favorite dives (I won't give you the location to preserve the reef sorry) is in only 25 feet of water. Our tanks last about 1.5 hours... we run out of air and can go right back and do it again because its below 30. Be sure to go slow and pay lots of attention to the small life in the sand, spend time observing the behavior of the animals. Also, do not touch anything and do not allow your body or equipment to come into contact with the reef.

Have fun!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 19:05   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I prefer to use Sail Caribbean Divers but Blue Water Divers has done very well for me too. Pretty much all shops will deliver and pick up any rental equipment directly to your boat. I'm sure Moorings does a good job too. I usually get 2 to 3 tanks per diver in case da compressor ain't worken today mon. There are lots of places to get air but your chances at any one place are maybe 50/50.

You can usually find all ranges of diving from beginner to advanced in fairly close proximity. I usually even find some treasures under whatever mooring we end up on. I've found winch handles, buckets, a grill in very good condition, fins, masks, etc. I've left treasure too. One late night I must have dropped my wallet returning to the boat. I discovered it missing when I got to the airport the next day. I got an email from a French diver saying they found my wallet under a mooring at The Bight. They mailed it to me with all the cash still in it! There are good people out there!
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 21:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I would recommend you bring your own equipment but not tanks. Its not that the equipment is not available but do you really want to depend on equipment that you have no clear understanding of its maintenance record? Otherwise, just stick with the moorings rentals for everything but tanks because you will have to return the gear at some point and its easier to return it when you get back to base.

This can happen. If we are diving around jost van dyke we use jost van dyke dive tanks, if we are around mid islands like Peter, we use a local dive shop and swap the tanks for refill. Some dive ops will deliver and exchange dive tanks right on your boat.

They are all pretty equal unless you are getting training or taking a tour.

Wrong. There are definitely currents that can be dangerous. We like diving off the southern ends of the southern islands and the currents can be wicked (not the worst but still). Remember to always start your dive INTO the current.

Most of the dives are wall dives and generally go from 30 to 60 or maybe 70 feet. There are a few that go deeper. There are a few wreck dives that are fun. One of our favorite dives (I won't give you the location to preserve the reef sorry) is in only 25 feet of water. Our tanks last about 1.5 hours... we run out of air and can go right back and do it again because its below 30. Be sure to go slow and pay lots of attention to the small life in the sand, spend time observing the behavior of the animals. Also, do not touch anything and do not allow your body or equipment to come into contact with the reef.

Have fun!
Excellent information...esp about the currents....Thank you.
Old 02-07-2016, 21:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
I prefer to use Sail Caribbean Divers but Blue Water Divers has done very well for me too. Pretty much all shops will deliver and pick up any rental equipment directly to your boat. I'm sure Moorings does a good job too. I usually get 2 to 3 tanks per diver in case da compressor ain't worken today mon. There are lots of places to get air but your chances at any one place are maybe 50/50.

You can usually find all ranges of diving from beginner to advanced in fairly close proximity. I usually even find some treasures under whatever mooring we end up on. I've found winch handles, buckets, a grill in very good condition, fins, masks, etc. I've left treasure too. One late night I must have dropped my wallet returning to the boat. I discovered it missing when I got to the airport the next day. I got an email from a French diver saying they found my wallet under a mooring at The Bight. They mailed it to me with all the cash still in it! There are good people out there!
Thank you for the information.

Amazing you got your wallet back with all the cash.

I NEVER get my stuff back...probably living wrong.
Old 05-07-2016, 20:39   #6

Agree with previous post - bring you own equipment whenever possible. My instructor told me o buy the best you can afford, its not worth being cheap on something that could save your life oneday. Over a few years a few extra bucks wont make much difference
scubajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajean View Post
Agree with previous post - bring you own equipment whenever possible. My instructor told me o buy the best you can afford, its not worth being cheap on something that could save your life oneday. Over a few years a few extra bucks wont make much difference
I agree.....we have our own stuff except tanks and weight belts.

Been over 30 years since I started chartering in the BVIs.....lots of snorkeling but no diving. We are looking forward to this.

Tags
Cuba, diving, scuba