Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2014, 16:27   #1

Boat: Cooper 42'
Using your Oven/Cooking aboard

Ok, So here's the question..
Do you use your oven?

I'm not a baker and only need a two burner stove. So, I was thinking of getting rid of the Stove/Oven and replace it with a two burner little camping stove, a shelf with a Microwave and then storage below that.

Is this reasonable? I mean I might use it for a pizza once in a great while but that's it. I could get a toaster over for the small jobs and then stow it when not in use..

Give me your thoughts please...
Old 21-08-2014, 16:33   #2

Re: Using your Oven/Cooking aboard

I never use the oven, some do, but when you say camping stove I hope you're not thinking about one with an integral propane bottle, as they are extremely dangerous on a boat.

Propane bottles should only be in a proper vented locker.

They do sell nice 2 and 3 burner cooktops specifically for boats.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 16:35   #3

Boat: Tartan 27

there's just you, Ken? Then, sure, ditch the oven (but keep it to with the boat when you sell) and stick to a stovetop galley. As far as that goes, you can even bake a cake in a pressure cooker, turning it into a mini-oven (no pressure, however)
JohnDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 16:35   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

We use our oven quite a lot. We bake bread and cakes and biscuits. We also do the occasional "sunday roast" with all the fixings. Our oven incorporates a grill, so we use that for toasting and, occasionally, grilling too.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 16:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I never use the oven, some do, but when you say camping stove I hope you're not thinking about one with an integral propane bottle, as they are extremely dangerous on a boat.

Propane bottles should only be in a proper vented locker.

They do sell nice 2 and 3 burner cooktops specifically for boats.

No, It would be hooked up to the same line the stove is hooked up to.
My tanks are out in a box on the stern ran into the cabin.
Nothing with the Fuel will change.
Old 21-08-2014, 16:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDM View Post
there's just you, Ken? Then, sure, ditch the oven (but keep it to with the boat when you sell) and stick to a stovetop galley. As far as that goes, you can even bake a cake in a pressure cooker, turning it into a mini-oven (no pressure, however)

Just me... I know I would have to save it for resale..
Thanks..
Old 21-08-2014, 16:38   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The answer to your question depends entirely on your usage of the boat. When we're away from convenient bread, I bake, so sometimes I use the oven 3 or 4 times a week. We are set up with minimal electricity (no genset), so a toaster oven would not work for us; nor do we microwave. The other major usage of our oven is roast dinners. We like to cook a roast every so often, and use the meat that remains for sandwiches. I also use the oven to bake desserts when we have guests over for dinner and to bake some hors d'oeuvres, as well. If you go without an oven, you will make do with *whatever*. Also, one can bake bread in one's pressure cooker (with the gasket removed), and I do that in very hot places, like the Solomon Is.

So, maybe cookies wouldn't be practical with a p.c., but bread is.

If you're going from marina to marina in civilized areas where you like the local products, then you can get by with a camp stove for quite a long time before you get tired of it, I'd think. And a great deal less expensive than a "proper" marine stove/oven. The one on this boat is temperamental in that its thermostat does not function well, and there are no longer parts available for it.

Ann
Old 21-08-2014, 16:40   #8

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

You can do a fair amount of baking using a pressure cooker--traditional fruitcakes and plum pudding or plum duff are common steamed deserts easily made with a pressure cooker.
Old 21-08-2014, 16:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
We use our oven quite a lot. We bake bread and cakes and biscuits. We also do the occasional "sunday roast" with all the fixings. Our oven incorporates a grill, so we use that for toasting and, occasionally, grilling too.
Chef Weyalan..lol.. I don't think I've ever use it.. In my land home. like I said a pizza every six months and I can buy cooked also so I'd never use it.
My main goal is just to get room for storage for things I actually use.
Old 21-08-2014, 16:47   #10

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
Chef Weyalan..lol.. I don't think I've ever use it.. In my land home. like I said a pizza every six months and I can buy cooked also so I'd never use it.
My main goal is just to get room for storage for things I actually use.
Chef... hardly. In fact Mrs Weyalan does most (but not all) of the baking. I guess the thing is that thus far most of our cruising (limited though it is) has bee n anchoring out and, in general, no access to shops for a week or more at a time, so if you want fresh bread, you gotta cook it yourself (and truly, baking a loaf of bread is not that hard).

Obviously everybody has different goals and different priorities, but for me, I would never get rid of the oven. Sure you can "make do" with a pressure cooker for some things, but then you gotta have a place to store the pressure cooker... so to me it seems like you are "robbing Peter to pay Paul".
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 16:50   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I use my 42 year old oven quite a bit. Lasagna, biscuits, cookies, yes even Pizza. Helps keep the cabin warm in the winter too.

A dutch oven could be used on the stove top for that matter
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 16:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The answer to your question depends entirely on your usage of the boat. When we're away from convenient bread, I bake, so sometimes I use the oven 3 or 4 times a week. We are set up with minimal electricity (no genset), so a toaster oven would not work for us; nor do we microwave. The other major usage of our oven is roast dinners. We like to cook a roast every so often, and use the meat that remains for sandwiches. I also use the oven to bake desserts when we have guests over for dinner and to bake some hors d'oeuvres, as well. If you go without an oven, you will make do with *whatever*. Also, one can bake bread in one's pressure cooker (with the gasket removed), and I do that in very hot places, like the Solomon Is.

So, maybe cookies wouldn't be practical with a p.c., but bread is.

If you're going from marina to marina in civilized areas where you like the local products, then you can get by with a camp stove for quite a long time before you get tired of it, I'd think. And a great deal less expensive than a "proper" marine stove/oven. The one on this boat is temperamental in that its thermostat does not function well, and there are no longer parts available for it.

Ann

Thanks Ann...
Old 21-08-2014, 16:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Chef... hardly. In fact Mrs Weyalan does most (but not all) of the baking. I guess the thing is that thus far most of our cruising (limited though it is) has bee n anchoring out and, in general, no access to shops for a week or more at a time, so if you want fresh bread, you gotta cook it yourself (and truly, baking a loaf of bread is not that hard).

Obviously everybody has different goals and different priorities, but for me, I would never get rid of the oven. Sure you can "make do" with a pressure cooker for some things, but then you gotta have a place to store the pressure cooker... so to me it seems like you are "robbing Peter to pay Paul".
Understood with the storage of the PC if I had one.. and the Peter Paul thing. Well, the whole boat is that.. lol Everything I do, for the better or worse. something comes on, Something goes off.. You know what I mean.. it's just if a go through the headache of moving it off, will I miss it.

I have to say, most my time is at different Marinas so I would have pwer for the most part..
Old 21-08-2014, 17:48   #14

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42

My galley is too small for an oven, but I do a lot of baking in an Omnia Stovetop Oven. It's lightweight, easy to store, and works quite well for all sorts of things.
Robertkwfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 17:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertkwfl View Post
My galley is too small for an oven, but I do a lot of baking in an Omnia Stovetop Oven. It's lightweight, easy to store, and works quite well for all sorts of things.
Looks pretty cool..
Omnia Stove Top Baking Oven

Tags
cooking, enc, oven