Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 16:57   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 40 'Cour Volant'
Looking for Jeanneau Owners

Hi, I'm new to the Cruisers Forum community. I just purchased an 02' Jeanneau SO 40 and have in the last few weeks put around 600 miles under her keel from no wind to mid-30's with nasty 4-5' chop with no problems. Hope port is in Oriental NC but plans are in the works to do more long range curising. I'v logged around 5k offshore miles in the last year doing deliveries on 'charter built' Bene's going to the islands and have seen some heavy weather onboard. The Jeanneau has suprised me and more 'seasoned' sailors with her performance, ability to climb and feel in rough weather. I'd like to talk to some Jeanneau owners with a few blue water miles under their keels and compare experiances. The Beneteau 40 we rode out a 50knt storm suprised me with her toughness and so far the Jeanneau appears a much higher quality boat. Of course experiance and effective storm tactics always help. (also, luck)
Look forward to some feedback and getting to know other Jeanneau owners!

Fair Winds,
Edana
ladyofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:45   #2

Hi Edana,

We've owned our 2000 SO40 about 4 years now. We use it primarily for family coastal cruising on the West Coast of Florida but I have sailed it to Mexico as well as crossing the Gulf to the panhandle of Florida a couple of times.

It's been a great boat for us and has never let us down due to manufacturing or design issues. I use a couple of Jeanneau-specific resources that might interest you: sailnet has an owner's group and there is a website for a owners network: http://jeanneau.tripod.com/

I'd be happy to discuss specifics with you. Welcome.

Curtis
s/v High Cotton
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 20:37   #3

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Oddesy DS, 42, Zofia
Hi,

We also own a Jeanneau, a SO 42DS. we are neewbies, however, we wouls like to share aour experiences as well. Welcome
Old 28-08-2008, 05:32   #4

Welcome

Hi Oldfield

Great to hear from another Jeanneau owner. So far since we purchased the boat in May we have been very happy with her comfort and performance, but in need of new sails.

Have you been sailing your Jeanneau very long? How have your experiances been?

Edana
S/V Cour Volant
Old 28-08-2008, 06:15   #5
cruiser

Can I jump in, as a non-owner to say that I, too, was surprised recently by the handling of a Jeanneau I was on teaching a sailing course?

The boat was a 40' and handled rough slop (coastal) in a manner akin to my old 13 ton Gulfstar.

The Jeanneau's flatter hull design was a joy... keeping the boat from rolling as much as many mono's I have been on. In fact, I had commented to my wife that it was something like a cross between the cat I have now and our old Gulfstar. It stayed firmly upright in rolly anchorages like a cat, but handled the slop as well as a 13 ton mono.

That reminds me... I think it was 12 tons for a 40' boat. Heavy, but the weight didn't seem to slow her down a bit.

Nice design.

Only negatives I found:

*Fuel tank way too small for Yanmar engine fitted - only 13 hours at max RPM
*Some of the stock systems were a little under-sized for cruising in the example I was on

All in all, a surprisingly well built boat.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 14:50   #6

Seakindly

It was a supprise dwhen we went through the first real blow, 45 knts. I was impressed by how gentle the motion was. I've been on other boats that pounded so hard you thought the hull was going to break but my 40' Jeanneau takes them with much more grace, in fact no one got sick. I think the beauty is in the hull design, they did a very good job in that department. And sure there are other areas that could be improved but mostly I have been impressed.
It dosn't perform like a stock boat, even with worn out sails.

I agree about the tankage. I do have a 43 gallon fuel tank but only a 12g holding and only 70g water. Which for my water loving husband is only a weekend's worth and with guests an overniter.
We are about to do some extended cruising on her and plan to leave this coming week depending on the TS Hannah for a two month New England tour. We plan to do all the passage offshore if we can. I'm looking forward to getting her in some seas, although not too big, and see how she handle's those conditions.
Old 28-08-2008, 18:01   #7

LOTS,

We have not owned 'Zofia' for long, only six months. Still fitting her out. Having Davits build (Design I got from the Jeanneau site http://www.jeanneau-owners2.com/ )

You might want to check it out. Also we have requested more technical details from Jeanneau because their web site is short on information, more sizzel than steak. We will send you what ever we get.

In the process of moving the chartplotter to the helm, runing leads and lead pull throughs so as to make it easy in the future.

We have sailed almost ever weekend..The stongest wind was 26 Knots. This is a regular breeze on the West Coast so we have to get used to it. The boat handled well and is a real bueaty. We will keep you posted.
Old 26-01-2009, 09:00   #8

Boat: Jeanneau, 40DS
As they say better late than never. We have a 2000 40DS for three years now with our homeport in Kemah, TX. She has performed very well in big seas and strong winds. Rode out 50+kts on the hook very nicely, and beat through another storm of 40+ as well. She handles the slosh and wash of the Gulf very well, and maintains good speed too boot, we're very happy.

Also in the process of getting her ready to move aboard and head out and would be happy to share any insights we've come across.

We do have a question for ya'll, we've been considering the addition of an inner forestay to hank on a storm sail, has anyone investigated this on a 40'?
Old 26-01-2009, 09:01   #9

Oldfield,

curious how the Davit install went? We're at that point now? If you have some pics that would be great too.
Old 26-01-2009, 09:20   #10

Davits and Inner Stay

Hi Boto

I also looked into an inner stay. My local yard wanted quite a bit to install it with a location just on the back side of the anchor locker mounting it right to the bulkhead. I still might consider it if we take off for a long offshore cruise.
A storm sail would be handy, seems like I'm a 40knt. wind magnet.
We got a new Jib with luff padding and it trims nicely when reefed. So far the furler has worked flawlessly on both the main and jib and I've had no problems in up to 50 knts of wind. (knock on wood)

We decided not to install a davit system on our boat and just keep it on the bow during passages and lift it out of the water a foot or so overnight on the spinnaker halyard, as you see so many cruisers do.

We just spent two months cruising New England earlier this fall and found that this system worked well.

Good luck with your plans. Even if you only get out for a few months its well worth it!!!!
Old 26-01-2009, 09:38   #11

New Jeanneau Owners Group

Hi Jeanneau owners, I just created a new group for us.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...au+owners.html
Old 26-01-2009, 10:58   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
I added i pic Of Rhosyn Mor to the group
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boto View Post
Oldfield,

curious how the Davit install went? We're at that point now? If you have some pics that would be great too.
Boto,

I will get some pictures to you. It works well. We have to suppot arm that create the targga and on top of those we have placed a flexable solar panel. It delives about 4-5amps is 4 meters long and about .5 meter wide.

There is a third support that is the crane and this is used to lower and raise the tender (30Kg). the moter os 2.5 Hp 4 stoke that I lift on and off by hand and is mounted on the stern rails.

The metal work was great and the whole thing hase been incorperated into the existing stern railings.

I will get some photos and post them on the new Jeanneau thread.

Regards
Brian & Eva
Old 17-02-2009, 12:24   #14

More Jeanneau Questions

We're adding to the ground tackle, currently we have a 25lb Danforth for use in the Bay. The new hardward will be a 35 lb Danforth for everyday use ( the 25lb becomes the stern anchor) and likely a 44 lb Bruce, both will have approx 100ft chain and 200 ft rode.

We've been considering a redesign of our anchor locker; first to seperate the chain/rode for the two anchors, secondly looking at a new hatch, one that will be flush to the deck rather than the current hump which allows the anchors shaft to slide under the hatch.

Has anyone had similiar thoughts? Other ideas?
Old 17-02-2009, 13:20   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Boto,
If you are going to " head out", might I recommend a bigger primary? I use a 55# er on Rhosyn Mor, and she weighs in at 15,600, the 40 DS must weigh substantially more, with an electric windlass and all it makes no real difference to weighing anchor.
GO up in size until people laugh at you and then you know you have the right size, when they are dragging all over in 50 kts of micro burst you can sleep happily.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau