Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 07:46   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Re: A Catalac in a Storm. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Sorry to disagree with you, unless you were making a generic comment. Catalac and beam sea is in less danger than running downwind and being silly about it. Tom Lack offered quite a lot of money for evidence of any successful lifting of one hull in a catalac that did not include use of a crane. However I know of two that got into trouble running down wind. I may be a coward, but 18 kts in a catalac in bad conditions is a mite fast for me.

No bragging but I have done 19 knots downwind with my Catalac 10m and the following waves, enormous but jon-breaking and the wind were working together to give us smooth ride between Richards Bay and Maputo. It never feltbtoo fast but sure very easy to break something at that speed as on any sail boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 13:36   #32

Interesting trip you made goosebump! I just joined this forum to contact you. Last year I raised plan to make the same journey. I nearly bought a small boat in richardsbay last month for this purpose, but the boat had more shortcomings than I thought and people at the Zululand yachtclub convinced me that this boatdesighn lacked sufficient shelter for a difficult trip like this. When studying alternative desighs I came upon the catalac and to my surprise I found your postings. A dutchman like myself, having done what I had imagined. Now in Tanzania?
Can I ask you if you are living permanently on your boat? Myself I am living in the Netherlands but I fly to southern Africa every year for a few months of trekking. I dont own a boat there yet. I own a toyota Hilux 4x4 1989 and a small selfmade offroad caravan there. I shipped both five years ago and since then I have used them for trekking every year for three to four months. After some time, maybe this ( european) winter ir the next I want to go north, via mozambique or zimbabwe to Tanzania. Are you going to stay in Tanzania or returning to Mozambique or different plans? Would be nice to hear more about your travels there or meet perhaps. I travel alone now since my wife died from cancer in 2002.
Alfred Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 22:30   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Daniels View Post
Interesting trip you made goosebump! I just joined this forum to contact you. Last year I raised plan to make the same journey. I nearly bought a small boat in richardsbay last month for this purpose, but the boat had more shortcomings than I thought and people at the Zululand yachtclub convinced me that this boatdesighn lacked sufficient shelter for a difficult trip like this. When studying alternative desighs I came upon the catalac and to my surprise I found your postings. A dutchman like myself, having done what I had imagined. Now in Tanzania?
Can I ask you if you are living permanently on your boat? Myself I am living in the Netherlands but I fly to southern Africa every year for a few months of trekking. I dont own a boat there yet. I own a toyota Hilux 4x4 1989 and a small selfmade offroad caravan there. I shipped both five years ago and since then I have used them for trekking every year for three to four months. After some time, maybe this ( european) winter ir the next I want to go north, via mozambique or zimbabwe to Tanzania. Are you going to stay in Tanzania or returning to Mozambique or different plans? Would be nice to hear more about your travels there or meet perhaps. I travel alone now since my wife died from cancer in 2002.
i am permanent liveaboard the Catalac 10m! Maybe you can email me twerner35@yahoo.com. So I gather you dont have experience with living on yacht. The challenge of liveaboard the cruising area where I am is no support in any form at all, this scares away most, so that I almost got this unbelievable cruising area to myself, something you couldnt buy!
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalac