Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 12:52   #1

A Catalac in a Storm. . .

I thought I might be better putting this post in the seamanship area but since it applies particularly to a Catalac then maybe it's best here. Sorry if I am wrong. Here goes:

Phillip Berman says in his "10 Commandments for Buying a Catamaran":
". . . ". . . a performance catamaran that can pull 12 knots running before a storm can easily sail away from just about any sustained winds over 50 knots. Unfortunately, many catamarans on the market today are very slow. . .To overcome this problem I highly recommend adding a bowsprit to carry a permanently mounted roller-furling screecher. This easily handled sail will boost your multi-hull’s sailing performance dramatically and there-fore greatly add to your safety if you need to reach or run away from bad weather. . . "

I know that a Catalac 9M or even a 900 are more family-oriented and, hopefully, will rarely experience such a situation. However, it can happen.
So, in the event of one getting into such a situation, apart from trying to hold the Catalac on a windward tack in which she may hold her own or, hopefully, slowly drift to leeward, does anyone feel that Mr. Berman's advice could possibly apply to a "family-style" Catalc 9M or 900 and be a possible alternative in helping run safely ? Would it be worthwhile or would it dramatically (and perhaps detrimentally) alter the overall Catalac design in that the Catalac is not designed to adapt to such a venture.

Thank you very much for any worthwhile advice.
wambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:48   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: A Catalac in a Storm. . .

Performance is related to sail area and sail choice but equally it is linked to hulls hydrodynamics. Now go to the boatyard and look at those hulls.

What did you find? ;-)

On a small boat (Catalacs have very short masts) you do not need a furler. You can hoist and lower the sail the ole way. Ask your sailmaker if a prod is a good idea. A long prod on a Catalac may give a weird sail shape.

IMHO forget about outrunning the weather. Just sail when and where the weather is good. And if you think you may one day get caught out, make sure the boat you are in WILL take the use and abuse of being tossed about by bad seas. The same applies to her crew.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 17:51   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Certainly a handy rig to have, but before you spend a lot of dollars on a sail plan mod which may not do much for you try rigging a spinnaker and see what happens. If you can borrow an approx correctly sized chute for a day it could be an easy way to determine if worthwhile.

Also screachers are big light-moderate air sails....better be WAY ahead of that storm when you pop the screacher.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 18:10   #4

gawd I love this stuff in books.... yeah right... the average guy is gonna pop the screecher in a hurricane....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 02:34   #5

Hi all. . . truth is - there is some wisdom in what each of you guys say:
Barnakiel - For a Catalac, I do feel that the situation is really academic. I was just wondering would it benefit. Prob. wouldn't do much good for a Catalac anyway. Caught in a storm, the Catalac is, IMO, tougher than most other in her class so I would have confidence to ride it out. Thank you for your input.

Belizesailor - the screecher would be somewhat overkill for the Catalac anyway. I wondered if the premise of a bowsprit with an adaptable sail to suit was valid for the cat. . Thank you for your advice.

Cheechako - hmmm. . . My query was really: would it benefit when I had sufficient info. that a storm was heading my way and would it give me that extra edge in getting 'way ahead of it. Once I am in harm's way with a Catalac I would tend to ride it out. The Catalac is sturdy enough for that, most of the time. Thank you for your comment.
(By the way - I like your signature. So true -
wambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 06:31   #6

Any extra sail, if built for the type of the boat and for the specific sailing conditions, will add miles to your daily run. It goes like you say your sailmaker you want a sail for AWA / wind range, and they will build one. It is like gears in the car. I think in a cruising boat it makes sense to have sails that have broad spectrum - broad AWA and broad target wind speed. Otherwise you run up the cost wall and also fill your forepeak with bags very soon.

b.
Old 23-07-2013, 06:33   #7

PS I think some Catalacs have big windows that are definitely not up to storm force conditions in open waters. Explore this subject, just in case, if you seriously venture offshore.

b.
Old 23-07-2013, 06:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Catalac in a Storm. . .

Having ridden a Catalac 900 at speeds of up to 18kts (surfing) running before with 1/3rd genney no thanks.. helm gets way to tender for my liking...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 06:56   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Wasn't there a article of a Catalac surviving a F12 in the north Sea. The solo skipper was doing okay until the self steering broke whilst he was asleep so the boat broached and turned turtle.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 14:43   #10

From what I recall of Mr. Berman is he sell catamarans and the most expensive are large fast catamarans, so everything he pushes is geared toward that market.

Catalacs are not performance boats. They have more in common with your traditional full keel cruising monohulls. That's not to say they aren't good boats just not what they were designed to do.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 15:05   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
From what I recall of Mr. Berman is he sell catamarans and the most expensive are large fast catamarans, so everything he pushes is geared toward that market.

Catalacs are not performance boats. They have more in common with your traditional full keel cruising monohulls. That's not to say they aren't good boats just not what they were designed to do.
I disagree. There are more slower cats than faster cats for sail on his website. Most cats aren't that fast.
He is right about faster cats running away or getting out of the way.
Those Catalacs are slow but built like a brick sh*thouse. I'd rather be in the 900 than a Gemini if it was hitting the fan.
Old 23-07-2013, 15:50   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

A catalac 12 did okay in the queens birthday storm, it was ultimately destroyed, but that was more about the strangeness of the owners than the inherent badness of the boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 15:54   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Yeah and that one was rammed by a big-assed warship. And they/she were weird.
Old 23-07-2013, 16:05   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I think weird is very very charitable. Perhaps even complimentary, but the old catalac 12 did okay,
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 18:51   #15

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Having ridden a Catalac 900 at speeds of up to 18kts (surfing) running before with 1/3rd genney no thanks.. helm gets way to tender for my liking...
Yes, and I still remember the look on your face when we hit 18 kts down that wave Phil!! (that was my boat he's referring to coming down the Portuguese coast.)

My opinion as a 900 owner who HAS actually been in a Catalac in rough weather (unlike most who just speculate ahem ) is this. These are primarily costal or Island hopping boats and in this modern age where grib files are easily downloaded to a smart phone/laptop, etc. you really have no business being out there in those conditions in the first place. Sure, the Med' can be a so-and-so sometimes and throw up a few surprises but overall, weather and wind prediction is pretty good in this part of the world at least.

Yes, if you run with it, i'm confident that these little boats will take it, my delivery trip down the Atlantic coast proved that to me. However, adding to the rig wouldn't be a great idea as these boats are still only 30ft long and you'll always be restricted to the corresponding hull speed.

If you want to see what it's like being on one of these in those conditions, watch this vid I made myself-

Tags
catalac