Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 19:36   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Cockpit teak

The teak in my cockpit it kinda rough - see attached. Mainly there are a number screw heads starting to show thru.

I need suggestion for dealing with this. Do I need to replace the teak, or should I try sinking the screws.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 19:40   #2

Boat: Tashiba-31
Re: Cockpit teak

added photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	150761  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 12:33   #3

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Wow.. Like deja vu looking at the photo. Teak seats in a cockpit are a PITA. They get more use from walking on then than everything else You will have to use your best judgement as far as the screw heads showing. Some I was able to re-sink using a drill bit in my hand to clean out and deepen the teak after removing the screws. Worked well on some. Others there was not enough teak left in the strips to deepen and re-set, so I removed the screws, sealed the hole with some G5 epoxy, and put in a new bung.

I had thought about replacing the teak and even have pondered the idea of getting rid of it and coming up with something else with less maintenance. I still have not made that decision so in the meantime, I had cockpit cushions made to cover the teak with. This has been working well for me.

Good luck, and please let me know if you come up with something I haven't thought of..
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 12:59   #4

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

The solution comes down to how much thickness you have left. If you feel that you have enough material to remove the screws, deepen the countersink, rescrew and plug, followed by a light sand and reoiling (teak sealer) then go that way. If you only have a few mm of teak left, then I'd consider removing and replacing.

I've slowly replacing mine with PlasTeak (PlasDeck) .. looks, sands, cuts, just like new teak, but doesn't rot and doesn't get too hot from the sun. You glue it down and caulk in between the pieces - requires very little maintenance and looks/feels just like new teak... Have a look around on Youtube, there are a few "how to" videos and you'll see how it works/looks.

Sent from mTalk

Tags
cockpit, teak