Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 15:07   #31

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I see nothing here that justifies the title of this thread.

No surprise.
This is just more of the - if it sinks,it must be a Hunter/Catalina/beneteau mentality. Facts are irrelevant.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 15:07   #32
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I see nothing here that justifies the title of this thread.

Welcome to the Wild West of the Internet Chat Room....no Justification needed, nor usually asked for nor noticed when absent.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 15:10   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
You'd be better off checking your backing plates and quality of your cleats.
I have. I'm pretty confident that they won't sink my Hunter.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 15:11   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Smack....what model Hunter do you have?
Old 03-01-2015, 15:14   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Hey Smack....what model Hunter do you have?
A sweet 1989 40 Legend...

Old 03-01-2015, 15:21   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

**** want to trade it for a 1978 Hudson Force 50 teak forest?
We love the boat and living aboard/working aboard in the lower salon office is sure comfortable with two teenagers but......

I also have to be honest....Give me a nice new clean shinny Catalina 42 MKII or another 45-50ft "production boat" and bingo....I'm gone baby! No teak to maintain. No leaky pilot house **** to deal with. No having to rip up the algrip/walnut shell deck (teak decks long gone) and redo it with Kiwi Grip this summer....and the 1978 Wiring...ha ha ha ....lets not even go there! Then Rich, why did you guy her? Easy...I could afford her...and needed 3 rooms with the kids....next silly question....

But on the flip side....you get this 55,000lb-empty girl going on a beam reach and get the **** out of her way...literally because to tack her upwind will kick your short handed crew in the ass...ha ah ah...thank goodness I was cruising with two teenagers....I needed them as crew!
Old 03-01-2015, 15:24   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the santana condition i was advised was blowin over40 kts straight into avalon.
east to west hell winds cause biiiiig problems with a 26 plus mile fetch. seas n winds. all there SHOULD have departed forsafer harbors in that instance. is more than merely unpleasant in avalon during these backwards winds.
and, for your info, slammers of busted cleatosis...is not only catahuntebenelinas that bust bow cleats. my friends who have been summer workers and winter workers as captains have a perry designed lafitte 44 that had both bow cleats break off in stormy cali san diego waters. wind and fetch cause big problems for all.
remember that 2 lives were lost in the saving of the many boats that broke loose in avalon in this windy nastiness. there is the usual pacific swell PLUS your nasty wind waves on top of the swell which creates evil seas, breaking over bows of injured boat.
yes this thread is warranted as a warning to others.
be nice
be kind
and be safe in and for windy days. they happen
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 15:32   #38
cruiser

Quote:
We love the boat and living aboard/working aboard in the lower salon office is sure comfortable with two teenagers but......

I also have to be honest....Give me a nice new clean shinny Catalina 42 MKII or another 45-50ft "production boat" and bingo....I'm gone baby! No teak to maintain. No leaky pilot house **** to deal with. No having to rip up the algrip/walnut shell deck (teak decks long gone) and redo it with Kiwi Grip this summer....and the 1978 Wiring...ha ha ha ....lets not even go there! Then Rich, why did you guy her? Easy...I could afford her...and needed 3 rooms with the kids....next silly question....

But on the flip side....you get this 55,000lb-empty girl going on a beam reach and get the **** out of her way...literally because to tack her upwind will kick your short handed crew in the ass...ha ah ah...thank goodness I was cruising with two teenagers....I needed them as crew!
That is seriously a beautiful boat Third. Wow. I have two young boys and we are heading to Florida in June - then down into the Carib over the next 3-4 years. The 40 fits us pretty well, though, like you, I'd prefer another 5'-10' and newer. But, like you, it's what I could afford. Paid cash and ready to rock.

Maybe we'll see you out there.
Old 03-01-2015, 15:39   #39
cruiser

Autumn - funny you should ask about bow cleats in a "Hunter Sinks At Catalina" thread...here is all that was left of my Catalina 27 after a freak 60 knot wind-storm hit while the boat was in the slip:

The rest of her was on the bottom. Kind of a striking similarity to this story eh? Maybe if I'd had a backing plate on there she'd still be hanging from that dockline!

Here are several of the other boats that were on my same dock which had been pushed out into the lake due to drought and was thereby much more exposed than usual:

Something like 5 or 6 boats (including mine) sunk that day, all of them having their stems sheared off like above. 90% of those that didn't sink were total losses. The marina guys tried valiantly to keep the boats off the dock by replacing snapping lines during the storm - but they shut it all down when one dude was almost crushed trying to keep his boat off the concrete and steel which chewed through every boat like it was butter.

The force of the storm bent the entire dock structure. And this was in a freakin' lake! It was pretty nasty.

Several Catalinas sunk - but I don't think any Hunters went down.

Damn bow cleats.
Old 03-01-2015, 16:02   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Autumn - funny you should ask about bow cleats in a "Hunter Sinks At Catalina" thread...here is all that was left of my Catalina 27 after a freak 60 knot wind-storm hit while the boat was in the slip:

The rest of her was on the bottom. Kind of a striking similarity to this story eh? Maybe if I'd had a backing plate on there she'd still be hanging from that dockline!

Here are several of the other boats that were on my same dock which had been pushed out into the lake due to drought and was thereby much more exposed than usual:

Something like 5 or 6 boats (including mine) sunk that day, all of them having their stems sheared off like above. 90% of those that didn't sink were total losses. The marina guys tried valiantly to keep the boats off the dock by replacing snapping lines during the storm - but they shut it all down when one dude was almost crushed trying to keep his boat off the concrete and steel which chewed through every boat like it was butter.

The force of the storm bent the entire dock structure. And this was in a freakin' lake! It was pretty nasty.

Several Catalinas sunk - but I don't think any Hunters went down.

Damn bow cleats.
Well that was a piece of bad luck, hope you were insured. Cleats are an important part of a boat and one of the areas that should be inspected because today's builders on entry level production boats use fender washers to save a few bucks and in situations such as yours it makes or breaks whether the boat will survive. Everyone with a newer boat should carefully inspect their boats and put proper backing plates on to replace the fender washers.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 16:18   #41

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
To save money many of these boats don't use a proper backinglates on cleats, instead simply cheap fender washers.
Yep

Should be standard upgrade for most production vessels. Together with anchor gear as there are many vessels lost/damaged at anchor/moored.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 16:18   #42

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
... today's builders on entry level production boats use fender washers to save a few bucks ...
Could you be more specific? What builders? How do you know this to be factual?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 16:22   #43

Quote:

Whilst I understand many love the traditional teak/timber forest look I totally agree with you. I see darkness and work.

I personally like the light airy clean gel finish that does not absorb moisture and simply requires a wipe down.

cheers
Old 03-01-2015, 16:27   #44

I have not personally inspected all the new entry level boats but I was looking at a near new Benni Cyclades and that's what they used, fender washers. I think it was NeilPride on this forum that suggested it was a standard way of backing a cleat but I may be wrong. My surveyor told me that several of the new boats used fender washers for backing but to be fair I can't remember the brands. Help me with this one Neil.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 16:31   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Could you be more specific? What builders? How do you know this to be factual?
I know mates that have cruised the med and ripped out cleats med mooring on a Lagoon 440 and FP Salina, 44 and 48ft cats respectively.

I would check all models from both manufacturers.

Tags
catalina, hunter