Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2017, 22:46   #1

New, from Southern British Columbia (Canada)

Hello all, my spouse and I are quite new to sailing only having experienced hobiecats while vacationing and a weekend sailing course here on okanagan lake.

a little bio I am a self employed fabricator/weldor of primarily stainless steel and aluminum. I work from home on our 28acre mountainside hobby farm.
originally grew up alongside the Johnstone straight on Vancouver Island. unfortunately never had the opportunity to get into much water activity

I have my spouse obviously two girls 5 and 7 and two heeler/Shepard cross dogs

what we (myself) are wanting to do is purchase a trailer able sailboat capable of doing weekends and perhaps longer on both the lakes of BC and the waters around vancouver island.

there is not much for sale around my part.
my local and semi local choices are catalina 27 fully outfitted for a princely 15k with tender, full soft top Bimini, heater, fridge, hot and cold water lots of sails, bottom recently blasted and recoated, safety and communications gear etc. newer macgregor 26 for 12k with solar . an olson 30 for 9k (not really suitable for weekending) and a catalina that is undergoing refit near completion for 7k

I am definetly leaning towards the cat with more stuff as the extras all add up real quick

my intent is to become proficient in sailing coastal waters over the next few years and hopefully transition to full time cruising/ circumnavigate before my kids are too old to experience it with us

a little back story on what put the seed in my head.

I was with my spouse Dawn before we had kids on a camp trip on the sunshine coast having lunch at the local marina (Lund BC) taking her around where my dad used to deliver dairy products. I got in a conversation with the waitress who happened to be a cruiser rebuilding the kitty they were out doing it with there kids this is about 9 years ago and I have never been able to shake the yearning or the wanderlust that has been passed down through both sides of my family.

so here I am finally making real progress. sorry for the long read it's not usually typical of myself

thanks all
ironvalleyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 22:47   #2

Re: new, from southern British Columbia (Canada)

that's probably the longest post I have ever made on any forum!
Old 17-02-2017, 23:51   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: new, from southern British Columbia (Canada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironvalleyfab View Post
that's probably the longest post I have ever made on any forum!
Oh, I don't know...you didn't tell us what you had for lunch....just kidding[emoji1]
Welcome to CF!!!
What is your budget?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 00:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: New, from Southern British Columbia (Canada)

Ironvalleyfab, welcome to the community. You have a beautiful area to begin cruising and we look forward to hearing of your adventures. When we read that you are "leaning toward the cat.." , most of us would be searching for the catamaran on your list of prospective boats. A Catalina 27 may serve you well as a start, but with the four of you and for longer terms, you may want a few more feet.
Old 18-02-2017, 03:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ironvalleyfab.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 07:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Ironvalleyfab, welcome to the community. You have a beautiful area to begin cruising and we look forward to hearing of your adventures. When we read that you are "leaning toward the cat.." , most of us would be searching for the catamaran on your list of prospective boats. A Catalina 27 may serve you well as a start, but with the four of you and for longer terms, you may want a few more feet.
definetly agree, if I still lived on the island or coast I would have somthing that stayed in the water
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Oh, I don't know...you didn't tell us what you had for lunch....just kidding[emoji1]
Welcome to CF!!!
What is your budget?
well I couldn't convince Dawn to sell the property so I am stuck with a budget of about 18k after we sell our travel trailer and her atv.

Tags
british columbia, Canada, columbia, canada