Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 10:48   #1

Boat: Tai Chiao 41, 50 ft overall
Hurricane holes on the Central American Pacific Coast

I've been searching for advice/inside info on safe anchorages for hurricane season on the Pacific coast of Central America. I spent this last season with my insurance company's consent in Mazatlan, but intend to head south this year with plans for stopping within reasonable distance of a good jumping off point for the Galapagos in Spring 2017. My thoughts have turned to Golfito as a hurricane hole, but I wonder if there isn't some more northerly location that's as good so that I can spend more time exploring on the way down and then take advantage of the post-hurricane season months to work down to Costa Rica or Panama. My problem is that all the information I've found in on-line conversation and cruising references (e.g. Cornell) talks about how to get through hurricane season in the South Pacific islands, not on the Central American coast. Any advice or opinions out there, hopefully including personal experience?

Thanks,
Roy
FutureCruiser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:23   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Hurricane holes on the Central American Pacific Coast

Have you looked at the historical hurricane paths? South of Huatulco is pretty safe. The best info on ports is the svsarana guides online. Many people leave their boats in Bahia Del Sol, El Salvador. In Pacific central america in the summer you have a lot higher risk of lightening strikes than ' canes.

Tags
Central America, hurricane