Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 03:29   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Arctic Weather Routing/Advice

We are in Scotland poised to set out to the Arctic. We will stop in the Orkneys and the Faroes and aim to be in Iceland by the end of this month. Then we will cross to Tasillaq, Greenland as soon as the ice conditions on the East Coast are reasonable. We will cruise the fjord there and the coast North of Tasilaq, and if the ice conditions permit, we will go up to Scoresby Sund.

From Greenland we will sail to Northern Ireland, stopping in Reykjavik if necessary. This is a particularly tricky passage from weather planning point of view, but the 400 miles from Reykjavik to Tasillaq is also a fairly serious job to plan properly. We get weather info offshore via Saildocs, Wefax and Navtex, and like all offshore sailors, I guess, I have some experience myself with weather, but it sure would be great to have someone on shore looking at the big picture for us using a wider variety of sources of information and possibly deeper expertise, than what we have on board.

Is there anyone who might be interested in supporting our expedition with weather advice and weather routing? We don't have any budget to hire a pro for this, but it might be fun for someone to participate in our little venture from land. We have a professional filmmaker on board and will make a movie about the trip, and the weather guru -- if we find one -- will be recognized as part of the team.

We have HF radio and I have a ham radio license, and we also have an Iridium Go, so we can communicate by different means -- HF voice or email via Winlink; SMS messages, emails with light attachments via satellite, satellite voice if necessary.

Please PM if interested.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:12   #2
cruiser

Re: Arctic Weather Routing/Advice

If you're concerned, I recommend hiring a professional weather routing service.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:47   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Arctic Weather Routing/Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you're concerned, I recommend hiring a professional weather routing service.
As stated in the original post, we are not looking for professional weather routing. Not really just because we don't have a budget for it, but the kind of service you get is not really what we want. The longest passage is only about a week, so there are no complex problems of routing. We are looking more for a friend on land with some weather expertise but not necessarily a high professional level of it, who would like to participate in the adventure vicariously and help with collecting weather data and thinking about the weather, and perhaps other issues which are easier to figure out from land.

I have done this from land for others and it's quite enjoyable if you have time for it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, weather