Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 06:07   #1

Boat: Nautitech Open 46
Water maker needed for the ARC?

I have a Nautitech Open 46 on order and intend to do the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC) this November.
The Boat is going into charter with TMM in Tortola and they are not keen on having a water maker on a charter boat. Maintenance issues, inexperienced charter guests etc.

Assuming 6 persons on board 20 days average trip the recommended minimum of 1 gallon per person per day 120 gallon 50 % safety margin equals 180 gallon. Boat has 180 gallons +/- in 2 tanks

We will carry Jerry cans of water for emergency use plus planning on maybe 200 bottles of drinking water.

My question is in practical terms will it be enough or do we just install the Watermaker and close it of for charter.

On Cheorae our last boat we had a spectra 700 and never concerned ourselves with water usage. However Cheorae was never chartered.

Regards

Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:10   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Water maker needed for the ARC?

Why not buy a Rainman? Use it for the Arc, then pickle it and take it with you (or maybe the charter company can store it). This way you get the best of both worlds?
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:37   #3

Your plan is perfectly fine, why screw with a watermaker, instead just become a water Nazi and your trip will be a great one.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:20   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Historically we plan on a gallon per day per person, and use something less. Dishes are washed carefully in fresh water and showers underway are very quick. There is ample water for drinking.

We typically carry a few gallons jugs as reserve. We have never tapped into to these due to empty tanks, but have used them near the end of the trip due to the water tasting better than the tank water.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:40   #5

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You do not need a watermaker.

When I crossed the atlantic (not ARC) we were 4 men aboard. I planned on 2 litres per day each, bottled drinking water. Then all the tankage could be used for washing, cooking, whatever.

I was surprised to find that the others (including the owner/captain) expected to shower at least every other day. While I just let my facial hair grow, they each wet shaved almost every day. On the other hand, they drank only beer, wine and hard liquor. They almost never drank any of the bottled drinking water. So much so, that when the tanks ran dry, they poured the bottled water into the tanks so that they could continue to shower. It was at this point I started hiding bottles of drinking water from them. With 600 miles remaining, we first ran out of beer, then wine, and finally cigarettes. As you can imagine, the other 3 crew become quite irritable. As soon as Antigua was within range of our remaining fuel (a question I was asked 4 times every hour), the engine went on and stayed on, regardless of the wind. The crossing was 20 days from Las Palmas, Gran Canaria.

So my point, lost someplace in my long, sad story, is to consider more than just gallons. Consider how the water will be used, what else you will drink, and how much washing you will each do. Best to discuss with all the crew.

FWIW, IMHO a saltwater deck bath is sufficient, with one bottle of water as a rinse. Fresh water is for drinking. And IMHO, alcohol has no place on a passage. I'm sure there will be a bar within 50 feet of wherever you end up in the Caribbean.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:23   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

You can do it without a watermaker with careful planning.
We have crossed on ARC 2003. Beneteau 42.3, 3 crew without one. 450l tank and 40 extra 5l bottles in in the lazarette and various hiding places.
Showers - once a week. Shave at pleasure. Water
taps used very carefully. Dishwashing in seawater and final rinse in fresh. Cooking and drinking from tanks supplemented occasionally from the extra bottles. Arrived with water to spare.
However - crossing with a watermaker is certainly more fun.and less discpline involved in resource management.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:34   #7

Boat: Baba 40

It’s always a fine line between ‘living’ and ‘camping...’
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:44   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Why not buy a Rainman? Use it for the Arc, then pickle it and take it with you (or maybe the charter company can store it). This way you get the best of both worlds?
The Rainman idea is interesting. Buy in Europe but claim back the VAT on export, then sell on arrival in the Caribbean. Would have thought that a portable water maker will sell easily there.

Alternatively, if the boat has a genny then this is a cheap option:

http://www.sailfishmarine.co.uk/epag...cht_Controller

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 13:23   #9

Smile Re: Water maker needed for the ARC?

Take one of those shower black bags that you hang up to heat the water. Use the water that you can carry in jerry cans on deck first. Wet yourself turn off the water, lather and rinse off. You use very little water. Take 200 bottles of wine instead of bottled water as it is expensive in the Caribbean.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 14:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The Rainman idea is interesting. Buy in Europe but claim back the VAT on export, then sell on arrival in the Caribbean. Would have thought that a portable water maker will sell easily there.

Alternatively, if the boat has a genny then this is a cheap option:

NEW - - Sailfish Marine - Watermakers, Marine Generators, Solar Panels and more..

Pete
Hey Pete,
You have to attend a flea market in the Caribbean, we all know sailors are cheap but it's taken to extremes here. No one will pay squat for used gear. Sell it on the East or West coast and I'm sure you'll do fine but not in the Caribbean where sailors throw nickels around like man hole covers
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 15:14   #11

Boat: Lavranos 58

Your calcs and backup plan are fine barring disasters. 6 people on a small boat for 20 days is going to get cramped and smelly though. You could consider sea water showers followed by a towel off with fresh water each day. its amazing how a good wash picks up morale onboard
Kenmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 15:22   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Rather than taking more water (or installing a watermaker)...have you considered the simpler solution of taking fewer people? On that beautiful boat, you could easily do it with 3 people, instead of 6. That cuts your water requirements in half!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 17:02   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hey Pete,
You have to attend a flea market in the Caribbean, we all know sailors are cheap but it's taken to extremes here. No one will pay squat for used gear.
What, oh dear strike the Carib of the bucket list then, I'll just have to head north to the PNW to find real sailors
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 19:13   #14

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

Pete that looks cheap enough. We have a generator 7kw Onan but only US voltage
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 21:11   #15

One gallon of water a day per crew?. That does not sound like much I live full time at anchor and I'm using about 25 gallons a week. This includes my drinking water
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, water