Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 02:13   #1

Anchoring in the La Maddalena archipelago

In a few weeks I will be for the first time visiting the La Maddalena archipelago in Sardinia and after having looked at the official rules here it seems you're only allowed to anchor there in the MB zone between sunrise and sunset during high season.

Am I right? Is that something that is enforced? The MB zone reaches 300 meters from the shore, is it viable to anchor outside the MB zone?

Anything else I should know about the archipelago before heading there?

Thankful for any tips!
xjussix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 03:05   #2
cruiser

Re: Anchoring in the La Maddalena archipelago

We are presently anchored just outside the Maddalena archipelago. It gets very crowded July through the end of August and there are no free anchorages within the nation park. You must pay and obtain a permit. The best deal is to head into town and purchase a weekly or monthly permit which brings the cost down significantly. Instead of paying nearly 100 euros per night, the extended permit for sailboats is reduced to maybe 20 euros per night. But we've found the best anchorages in the area are uncrowded and free and just outside the national park.

You won't even be able to drop your anchor within the park for 15 minutes before an official will approach and start filling out the billing information which will cost around 100 euros per night if you dont already have a permit. They are very nice about it, but you will only have about 10 minutes to be out of there if you don't plan on paying.

If you're looking for free anchorages, please PM me and I'll give you a list of our favorites.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 16:06   #3

Hi Ken,

I´d like to know your recomended anchoring places. If you´d be so nice sen it to me by email jan.lerche.jl@gmail.com

Any advise is welcome. Our plans are from Portisco north to Alghero, than west part of Corsica towards Bonifacio and back to Portico.

Jan
lerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 08:29   #4

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Ken, I also would like to know more about your favorite anchoring places. deanj105@comcast.net. Thanks.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 13:28   #5

Yes, we are headed that way in May and I would also like the list of recommended anchorages. Jmorrison146@gmail.com. Thanks!
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 19:29   #6

Hi Ken, We will be in the Madelenas mid - late june and would love to hear about your favourite anchorages and any other tips that you may have.

Tried to PM you but can't. email is timmorison @ gmail dot com

Many thanks
Timoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 01:42   #7

Boat: Hanse 540e

For starting point, there are many options for protected and free anchorage around Cannigone, just south of La Maddalena. Anchorage just north of town for visiting, but its exposed to passing daytrip boats (swell), further north there is a large bay La Saline, good protection from prevaling winds, on eastern side north of Porto di Cala Bitta, except in strong NW.
Old 21-03-2018, 13:36   #8

Boat: Sun Odyssey 32 & Bavaria 38

Hi, we are currently based in Northern Sardinia, and have had a couple of holidays around the area, and planning to be there in May, July and September, as last year.

We have anchored both inside the National Park, and also outside. Have found that the Navily app, free to download, is great for anchorages.

We did anchor one night in Cala Lunga on Isolla Razzoli, very peaceful with a lunar landscape. There is a mooring buoy you can pick up, if you have a permit, holding tanks, and a local boat! There were three of us in there, non local, non with permit, which I tried to buy online whilst we were there, but didn't manage, as kept kicking out when I got so far. We were not bothered by the authorities, probably because it is in the outer islands of the archipelago, not around Maddalena itself.

There are a lot of anchorages on Sardinia mainland outside of National Park, with no restrictions, all shown on Navily, with feedback from genuine users, me being one. Also we called into Madallena town harbour in September, which was really nice, lots of charector and plenty of restaurants. We have a 12m yacht, and from memory cost about 35 euro for night. We thought it well worth it, and will visit again this summer.

Outside of this, a trip into Bonifaccio on Corsica is also well worth it, if more expensive. Cost us about 70 euro in July, and 40 euro in September, but again we will definitely be going back this summer.

Whatever you do, am sure you will have a great time, just remember that the winds through the straights can be very strong, and sea conditions quite lumpy.

Happy sailing
Twhitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, arc