Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 16:55   #1
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution
Need a new dinghy -(Australia based) - Suggestions?

Hi
Our dinghy decided to leave us on New Years Eve. He floated off and has not been seen since.

We now want a new inflatable boat , 3m long that will take a 10-15hp engine. Under $800 ideally. We were initially wanting a solid hull, but have changed our mind and are happy with a good , solid PVC type' V' hull. Anyone got any idea as to which makes and models we should be looking at? There seem to be so many options...
Old 13-01-2017, 17:28   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Need a new dinghy -(Australia based) - Suggestions?

$800?.... hmmmmmm.... must have been a while since you last bought one

Achilles have a dealer in Sydney and a model that may suit.. Achilles Inflatable Crafts | Boats & Parts

I bought a small ( ie the smallest one they make ) Achilles in either 92 or 94. Pretty heavy usage ( running lines in Patagonia etc etc.. ) from then until I retired it last year. Its still in use as my mate's son's 'muck about' boat in Montt.
Bought a new one ( same same size ) just because I could.....

Old one is Hypalon , new one is Achilles CSM fabric.

Would not buy any other make.
Old 13-01-2017, 17:46   #3

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Heg, pushing the dollar boundary is ISLAND INFLATABLES. I had a 2.6 which got itchy feet. Beautifully made in KOREA. There is the IA 290 WD...wood deck rather the pvc. Also is IA 290 AD...air deck. Both are $1300 AUD.
The Aus importer is in Memai NSW.
REALLY good quality. 10 hp max. 450 kg load. Massive tubes @ 44cm diameter. Two seats.
There are dealers in your neck o' the woods.
Don't think you find better....at boat show I compared all price ranges and having owned my IA 260 for 2 years I believe the quality is as good as nearly double the price.
Menai Marine has been importing them since long before I bought mine over 7 years ago. My Zodiac 2.7 rib has to go because i can't fold it up for the fore-deck for Bass Strait. Another IA 260 will be next. Good luck Heg.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 19:26   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I picked up a fair condition used Quicksilver 3.8m for AU$600. But I was only thinking of it as a temporary boat for the next three years.
Old 13-01-2017, 20:03   #5

Boat: Lightwave 45 catamaran

We love our Highfield inflatable ridge aluminium floor available through swift inflatables at the Gold coast. They are a chinese made version of the swift dinghy. Ours is 3 years old and has had a hard life but still no leaks or problems except the rubbing stake marks the hull if not regularly treated with rubber sunburn cream. You could contact them for secondhand one otherwise you will have to pay more to get a new one.
xbillaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 20:20   #6
Heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I picked up a fair condition used Quicksilver 3.8m for AU$600. But I was only thinking of it as a temporary boat for the next three years.
That's the kind of thing we had in mind. Doesn't have to be new, but we just want ideas on what make and model to get. The one we lost was an Apex , GRP hull and it was damn heavy, especially with the 15hp outboard attached.
Old 13-01-2017, 20:20   #7
Heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Heg, pushing the dollar boundary is ISLAND INFLATABLES. I had a 2.6 which got itchy feet. Beautifully made in KOREA. There is the IA 290 WD...wood deck rather the pvc. Also is IA 290 AD...air deck. Both are $1300 AUD.
The Aus importer is in Memai NSW.
REALLY good quality. 10 hp max. 450 kg load. Massive tubes @ 44cm diameter. Two seats.
There are dealers in your neck o' the woods.
Don't think you find better....at boat show I compared all price ranges and having owned my IA 260 for 2 years I believe the quality is as good as nearly double the price.
Menai Marine has been importing them since long before I bought mine over 7 years ago. My Zodiac 2.7 rib has to go because i can't fold it up for the fore-deck for Bass Strait. Another IA 260 will be next. Good luck Heg.
They look awesome. Thanks
Old 13-01-2017, 20:22   #8
Heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
$800?.... hmmmmmm.... must have been a while since you last bought one

Achilles have a dealer in Sydney and a model that may suit.. Achilles Inflatable Crafts | Boats & Parts

I bought a small ( ie the smallest one they make ) Achilles in either 92 or 94. Pretty heavy usage ( running lines in Patagonia etc etc.. ) from then until I retired it last year. Its still in use as my mate's son's 'muck about' boat in Montt.
Bought a new one ( same same size ) just because I could.....

Old one is Hypalon , new one is Achilles CSM fabric.

Would not buy any other make.
We can spend more, but this was more just a cheaper fix to tide us over until we decide on a more permanent solution in a year or two.
We were trying to buy second hand rather than new -hence the $800 budget.
Old 13-01-2017, 21:10   #9

If you're willing to go rigid, you can find some polycraft dinghies at reasonable prices.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 08:48   #10

Boat: O'Day 19 (not Rhodes model), and Chrysler 26

Would people have different recommendations for inflatable dinghy's in the US?
Snowdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:28   #11

Boat: bavaria 42 cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heg View Post
Hi
Our dinghy decided to leave us on New Years Eve. He floated off and has not been seen since.

We now want a new inflatable boat , 3m long that will take a 10-15hp engine. Under $800 ideally. We were initially wanting a solid hull, but have changed our mind and are happy with a good , solid PVC type' V' hull. Anyone got any idea as to which makes and models we should be looking at? There seem to be so many options...
hi
that i can not answere,but what i do know from experience,do not buy the once with wooden floors,since that will rotten away after a few years if it is not always dried out--- happend to me on two dingies.:banghead
norwegian vikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:42   #12

Boat: FP Mahe 36

I second the suggestion of looking at the Polycraft.

We previously owned a Chinese manufactured inflatable and was very happy that it lasted 4yrs before I started to lose confidence in it. It never leaked however the glue holding the oar locks and tie down points had failed and I did have to do a seam repair early on. Furthermore, I was also concerned that when taking the dog ashore for her evening ablutions I'd hear a disconcerting pppffttssssss if I hit an oyster covered rock or tree root 😱

The Polycraft is certainly heavier but has a lot of advantages (robustness, stability, durability, on board storage to name a few) and is a purchase you'll only have to make once. I'm extremely happy mine with no purchasing regrets whatsoever.

Regards,

Brian
tpkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:52   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, SnowDog,

Availability of some good dinghies is very difficult here, think ABI or Caribe.

Aus does have a first class hypalon dinghy, made by Swift, aluminum hull RIBs, good heavy hypalon, but good heavy pricing, too.

Gemini market one here, as well, with lighter weight hypalon, for less, but ime, the hypalon they use doesn't last as long as heavier weight.

Ann
Old 14-01-2017, 13:19   #14

I bought a Calypso PVC inflatable about 8 years ago and it's still as solid as new. It has aluminium floor boards and a maximum of 3.5 hp motor. It weighs about 30 kg but will fold up quite well. It cost about $900 then but there's one advertised on Calypso 6 Foot Inflatable Dinghy • AUD 270.00 - PicClick AU for $270 at the moment. A good buy if it's in good condition.
Motif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 14:07   #15

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There

I had a chat to a professional dingy maker about the best option for a cheap quality dingy.. His advice was to purchase a ZODIAC brand secondhand. The over all quality and finish was better. I am looking for one myself..

I currently have a Southern Pacific RIB and the only good thing about it is the hard rigid frame. When I contacted the manufacturer about the poor quality glue their only interest was to see if it was out of warranty. Just the sort of service you expect from an inferior manufacturer
I suspect by the response I received my issues were rather common and they did not a dam

ray
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, dinghy