Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 02:19   #1

Boat: Solaris Sunstream IT 40
"Solaris 40' catamaran" heading for Australia

I've just purchased a vessel in Elmsworth and hope to leave for home after the Christmas break, if the vessel is ready. Need a skipper or sailor who would be willing to teach me the ways of this big cat. The ship is currently having the rigging & sails checked, and looking I'm into upgrading it's sparse electronics. Two weeks minimum pay, negotiable, on experience and comparability, then we'll see how we go from there. My preference would be a stable couple, looking for a slow, safe journey thru to the other side of the Bay of Biscay, or a couple, wanting to head back to Australia who have some experience, want an adventure, and make a few bob at the beginning of the journey. Drop me a line at PeteSchilder@aim.com and we'll go from there,,,
Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 04:36   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: "Solaris 40' catamaran" heading for Australia

Good luck on your journey. You are about to become one of the %1 that actually get out there and do it.

However.. Just a small suggestion. I know of no professional skipper that will accept a couple as crew. The dynamics are very difficult on a boat and having a couple aboard adds another layer. Not only will you have to deal with the ebb and flow of their relationship, but it will always be two against you. If you chastise one of the partners, then you may well have chastised both. If you can't get along with one of them and need to part ways, then you will loose 2 crew instead of one.

Just some food for thought.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 17:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Good luck on your journey. You are about to become one of the %1 that actually get out there and do it.

However.. Just a small suggestion. I know of no professional skipper that will accept a couple as crew. The dynamics are very difficult on a boat and having a couple aboard adds another layer. Not only will you have to deal with the ebb and flow of their relationship, but it will always be two against you. If you chastise one of the partners, then you may well have chastised both. If you can't get along with one of them and need to part ways, then you will loose 2 crew instead of one.

Just some food for thought.
I agree with Travellerw....from experience.....couples...veggies...and even two individuals who are friends with each other can make for a difficult voyage.

I might be interested depending on your route, your experience and condition of boat and electronics. I have experience on big cats as crew. Just helped deliver a SF50 from Cape Town S.A. to Annapolis, Md. Also, deliveries from Panama to Galapagos Is. (65' cat) and Fiji to Australia.

Please give potential crew more info on boat, equip and yourself and you're sure to get more replies.
Old 31-12-2016, 10:43   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstream IT 40

Well, the "Monami" is still on the hard stand until at least the 13th of January, when a 40 tonnes crane "should" be available to move three boats around the tidal, Thornham marina. Everything in Emsworth is shut down for a few more days, but the riggers have checked over the mast & rigging, everything is fine in their opinion, and they will re-check in a few days when "new" lights are fitted to the masthead. I'm expecting to leave Emsworth for Portsmouth (with a 'local" who knows the tides & mudflats which abound in this estuary, around the end of January, heading for the Azores. A mono hull sailor who has just passed thru Suez, and berthed here, strongly recommends NOT to travel thru that area. The sail maker has recommended my sails get dropped & cleaned, sometime in the next week or two, the 27hp Yanmar GM's & sail-drives have yet to be checked, holiday period delays, but it's giving me more time for the new anti fouling to be applied, house batteries replaced etc etc, all the tiny details of owning a new, (1989) vessel. At the moment it looks like I'll be in need of a Skipper for the passage from Plymouth to the Azores,,, towards the end of January.
Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 19:07   #5

Consider the weather en-route to the Azores in January and February. The expected weather is bad and the chance for very violent storms is very high. Perhaps wind well in excess of 70 knots and waves in excess of 30 feet.

I would never cross an ocean in a new, old boat without a shakedown cruise. You can expect half the stuff on the boat to fail in the first 45 days. This includes the brand new stuff you just installed.

It seems to me you may miss the best window for a Panama departure to the South Seas even if you get close to your planned departure date, so what's the rush. Get your boat equipped for extended cruising and get some experience on your vessel along with your crew, then start your journey across the Atlantic in better weather.

Best wishes!
rsailorbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, catamaran, head, solar