Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2016, 14:46   #1

budget 38-40 foot cat for Bluewater and livaboard in Australia

Hi,

I'm interested in models available in the Australian market for a budget Bluewater capable cat in Australia.

There are quite a few budget cats like the Tasman elite 12 but have quite limited offshore capabilities.

What models apart from the typical lagoon/FP might be sufficient for Australia-Asia cruising? Hoping for something basic, with good bridgedeck clearance with diesel motors not outboards?
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 15:01   #2

Re: budget 38-40 foot cat for Bluewater and livaboard in Australia

You really need to explain your budget. 100k 200k 300k+++?

Budget means different things to different people.

On another forum in a thread calling for budget tips to making your sailing dollar go further , one poster thought tips on how to find budget lobster meals at restaurants was a valid contribution.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 22:16   #3

Budget for the boat is AUD$200,000 and a boat that had basic systems to minimise operational cost, while still having good accomodation room and bridge deck clearance.

The only lobsters I will be eating are ones I catch myself.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 23:13   #4

Boat: Grainger cat

There are schionnings in your budget. Saw an 11m Wilderness on yachthub for I think189 just today. Although I have diesels on my cat I would take outboards. Cats have the acreage for decent solar.
ocean_groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 23:28   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
Budget for the boat is AUD$200,000 and a boat that had basic systems to minimise operational cost, while still having good accomodation room and bridge deck clearance.

The only lobsters I will be eating are ones I catch myself.
I'd be inclined to agree with the above, as I've seen some candidate boats that would work for $150,000 AUD +/-
Some of that though depends on what you want. If you're looking for something similar to a Lagoon, it'll hurt your wallet more. Especially if it's a big boat (heavy), with lots of built in accessories. But if you keep it light, & pretty simple, to possibly include boats with outboards, then the above numbers fit.

If you say where you're looking, & provide more specifics on boat criteria, it'll be easier to say. As well as to suggest a few boats.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 02:20   #6

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

For that money you can get some nice custom 40ft Graingers, Chamberlins and Pescotts, maybe a Schionning or two. Faster than the Lagoons and they all the Australian type design where they sail nicely but still have good accommodations. I love sailing my Chamberlin - it is so fun to feel her slip along in light winds or pick up her skirts in a breeze. I feel a bit sad that Auusie sailors are buying the French cats - I get that they are roomier but our modest 38ft cat is more than enough for my wife and I. I can't understand what we would do with any more room.

Consider outboards IF the boat can sail. I have had a single outboard setup for 16 years and would not take a diesel if you gave it to me free. I have had one problem with my outboard when I gave it bad fuel. They smell less, are just as or more reliable than diesels, don't need folding props, can be quiet, are faster under sail and are just as safe as diesels - the reason they can be just as safe is because they are hanging below the boat so your fuel tank and all lines go there - not inside. This is safer than having it all inside a locker or internally. The common caveat with petrol is that it explodes - it can but you will probably have petrol on board for your dinghy outboard so it is a question of how much petrol - not whether you will or won't have it.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 03:09   #7

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

There was a nice looking Oram on boatpoint. 39 ft I think. Mango? $ 150k I think. I wish!
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 09:58   #8

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

It is multihull wonderland. Get on web pages.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 13:18   #9

Boat: Schionning GForce 17c

Hi there check out Schionningdesigns.com.au. They have a few boats on their brokerage page - might be a bit more than $200,000, but I think there is a few schionning boats in the market place in the range u are after on other websites as well. Think I saw some on boatsale.com.au also. We are just finishing building our Schionning and due to hit the water early next year. The design of the schionning are mostly complimentary to water sailing">blue water sailing, are simple, robust and well designed. Good luck!
WildFireAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 15:06   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

I'd also be taking a look at Boat Sales .com.au, the Grainger Chincogan 40. Always liked the build quality of those. The 05 Simpson Inspiration 10.5 is an excellent sea boat too. Plenty of Schionnings around as well, and the Jensen 37 Coral Sea would be worth a look. I guess you need to decide if you want a more performance oriented cat as opposed to comfortable cruiser. At your budget a compromise must happen as it's hard to get a quality larger boat for those $$, although the Chincogan is pretty good! Best of luck, looking will give you a better idea and feel.
PaulMarion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Bluewater, budget, water