Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2016, 01:05   #1

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26
Is a Hunter in the Pacific northwest okay?

I'm completely new to sailing ( 2 lessons under my belt), I'm planning on moving up to the Pacific northwest and picking up a liveaboard. I'm wondering if a 33 ft 1996 Hunter 336 or a 32 ft 1990 Hunter Vision 32 would be a bad idea to pick up ( assuming the boat is in good working order). I'm not sure exactly where the line is to be considered water sailing">blue water sailing, as I want to eventually cruise up to Alaska and there looks to be a decent amount of blue in the way. I know Hunters arn't considered true blue water boats but would they be able to handle this journey in decent comfort and safety? If not can anyone suggest a boats with similiar specs/creature comfort (for passengers) that would be worthy? I've been looking at some Hans Christian 34s , but I really like the 38s better ( that I've seen on sale) and they are at my max budget, and I would like some breathing room for modifications and repairs. I have no doubt I will get a Hans if I ever decide to sail out of the area, but for right now I would be mostly hopping around on small trips, and entertaining guests. Also I know this can become a heated topic, please give me an idea of what these boats are realistically capable of if the previous owners kept up maintenance. I don't want a ford vs chevy flamefest.
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 02:13   #2

Boat: Hunter 40
Re: Is a Hunter in the Pacific northwest okay?

Mate…..
All this Hunter bashing is a load of crap. Mine sailed across the Pacific in 2002! It is a Hunter 40 Legend.

Any boat is only as good as the sailor at the helm! If you want a Hunter buy one!!
Old 19-10-2016, 09:39   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm been cruising a month now and Hunters are all over. Get yourself one and then learn how to use forum ignore features
Old 19-10-2016, 09:47   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Most of the cruising in the Pacific Northwest is in relatively protected waters. This includes the inland passage to SE Alaska. Pretty much any boat with a reliable engine and decent anchoring gear can travel the Inland Passage to Alaska safely. Production boats like a Hunter tend to give you a lot of interior room for the cost.
Old 19-10-2016, 09:51   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For what you describe, one would be fine.
As with ALL manufacturers, some years / models are better than others and are more sought after.

Buy a boat that you can sell, one that has a following and is sought after. You may one day want a different boat, or maybe a newer / bigger Hunter, either way usually means selling the current one.

Personally I would look more towards condition of the boat / motor over age
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:09   #6

Depends on the particular specimen. I would say that hunters in particular tend to vary widely? I can't say if it's due to manufacturer or owner. Probably both.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:23   #7

It's all about the particular boat. That trip can be done in any seaworthy boat, but you need to know your boat. Not a Hunter fan necessarily, and don't pay too much as they can be a killer on resale (justified or not). The thing is, you buy a boat and most often put a lot into it to make it your own. Get something that you like and has value later on.
If a HC38 is at the top of your budget, there should be many boats up here that you can buy below that... other than Hunter .
It's cool up here in the wind even in summer, so keep that in mind. An Islander Freeport 36 pilot house type of design is nice up here. Not only for moving, but sitting at anchor on these grey dark days you have some light below.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:38   #8

Thank you for the input so far, would you guys be able to suggest a site where I could see the depreciation of different models and years, like they do with cars? I plan on updating things on whatever boat I have, will this ever actually raise the value of the boat, or is depreciation that bad where I will never profit? Honestly I would also love a site where I could read reviews of older models, It seems all the reviews are on newer boats( well at least on youtube).
Old 19-10-2016, 10:50   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind459 View Post
Thank you for the input so far, would you guys be able to suggest a site where I could see the depreciation of different models and years, like they do with cars? I plan on updating things on whatever boat I have, will this ever actually raise the value of the boat, or is depreciation that bad where I will never profit? Honestly I would also love a site where I could read reviews of older models, It seems all the reviews are on newer boats( well at least on youtube).
Go to bluewaterboats.org

Plenty of info on older cruising boats.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 11:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind459 View Post
Pretty tough to find what info you want. in general (and I do mean in GENERAL) figure on losing what you put into the boat after purchase and maybe getting back what you paid originally, less broker fees. I did have one boat I made some money on after a lot of work.
Paid $65k
Spent $73k
Sold $165k
Broker $10k?
Profit $17k
But easily lost $50k on another boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 12:05   #11

I'm from Vancouver and Hunter has had a large following in that area. As others have said it's more about the particular boat than the manufacturer. The cruising areas you are talking about are fairly well protected so no issue for a well maintained boat but be sure you have a strong motor, winds are very light and fickle in the summer cruising months. Because your talking about live a board you should be thinking of a good heating system with adequate ventilation in your new boat, very important in that area. Enjoy your new adventure. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 13:22   #12

So with the knowledge that a boat is going to be a loss for me in the future regardless, this is going to be a tough choice, as I was only planning on having my first boat for maybe 2 yr and then upgrading, and trying to reach Hawaii in a Hans after owning it for a year or two. I'm wonder if Im better off just finding a Hans that might be a fixer upper or a nice hunter that I can upgrade to be blue water capable.

I've been on bluewater boats and sailboatdata.com all day looking around. One of the big things the hunters seem to have in this price range/size , that is rare is an Aft space that fits a large bed , and in some cases has stand up room even. That is very hard to find on any other brand.
Old 19-10-2016, 19:54   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Plenty of Hunters have sailed to Hawaii. Yes, they are more lightly built than some boats, but a well-maintained Hunter can still probably take more abuse than you can. Just pick your weather.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, pacific northwest