Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 14:31   #1

Boat: 1995 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.1
Best live aboard power flybridge cruiser

Q and I are selling up our house and going to live aboard. He films his scuba diving. First year or so we are looking at coastal cruising up and down East coast of Oz.

While we want a cat specifically a 40-44 foot SV Lagoon, financially we think it is too much of a stretch initially.

With a max budget of around $120,000 keeping plenty in reserve, thinking of 40+ foot flybridge mono with enough umph to get places but still economical. Ease of access to water for diving and big aft cockpit.

So confused at the choice in this range. Would really appreciate some pointers and or guidance, thanks.
AJ-SeaChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:46   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Best live aboard power flybridge cruiser

Difficult to follow?

Umph and economical 40+ft monohull to live on does not compute. Also most of the cheaper powercats are planning hull with large motors and are definitely not enocomical.

Doubt a budget of 120,000 would cut it.

You may be best looking for a sail cat at a budget you can afford.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:53   #3

Thanks for your reply downunder.

As I'm a total newbie, given a budget of 120,000 and what we're looking at doing any more specific thoughts ... even smaller boat? Less 'umph' etc? I didn't think we could get a cat in that price range
Old 06-02-2017, 15:10   #4

Just google power flybridge cruiser and you will get plenty of results.

Power Boats 36ft > 40ft | Used Boats For Sale | Yachthub

Yachthub as well as boatsonline have most vessels in Australia listed.

Find some in your area and budget and look over some.

Fast and larger means larger motors and can mean expensive motor repairs and fuel use from 35L to 135L/hr burnt.

You may be better finding a single smaller non planing hull vessel.

Look through Yachthul and come back with uestions.
Old 06-02-2017, 16:27   #5

Oh thanks for that.

So more of a displacement hull? Makes sense as we won't need to be travelling back and forwards to a house and so won't need so much speed.
Old 06-02-2017, 19:41   #6

With a displacement hull you will get away with smaller cheaper motor with much cheaper repairs if you needed them. Also less likely.

Any of the faster twin engined vessels will likely have turbos and the costs of repairs once you get over 100 hp can get scary. You don't want a big hole in the ocean to keep poring your money in if you are planning on saving for a 40-44 ft cat down the track.
Old 06-02-2017, 22:17   #7

All good points, thanks so much
Old 07-02-2017, 04:15   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Hard to pick a "best."

If you want more internal space, and aft cabin motor yacht might be right. If you like to fish, too, a sportfish or convertible (see our avatar, although we don't fish often) would be better. There's a class often called sport bridge or sedan bridge that tries to offer more flybridge space on a convertible deckhouse. And also there are "trawlers" or trawler-wannabees that usually offer decent space overall. (In the latter category, a newer idea -- a "swift trawler" -- has come into vogue too. An oxymoron.)

And then there are planing hulls (umph!), semi-planing or semi-displacement (could go either way, depending on engines), and full displacement hulls (slow, no umph).

In the range of semi-planing/semi-displacement hulls, some are boats built to mostly go slow (more economical)... and then there are some with larger engine, so you can still mostly go slow, but might have enough of a turn of speed to run before weather, a bit, if necessary.

If it helps, it's often better to start with an idea of features you might need, some you might want, etc... and use that to arrive at a boat style that offers (most of) those features. Examples: How many staterooms? Split head and shower? Galley up or galley down? Can you negotiate a ladder to a flybridge? Or do you need stairs? Want a transom door? Swim platform? Cockpit or party deck? Hardtop, or soft? How fast is "umph!"? And so forth.

If you haven't already, you might like to browse yachtworld.com to get an idea of fdifferent boat styles, layouts, features, etc.

-Chris
Old 07-02-2017, 09:45   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-SeaChange View Post
Q and I are selling up our house and going to live aboard. He films his scuba diving. First year or so we are looking at coastal cruising up and down East coast of Oz.

With a max budget of around $120,000 keeping plenty in reserve, thinking of 40+ foot flybridge mono with enough umph to get places but still economical. Ease of access to water for diving and big aft cockpit.

So confused at the choice in this range. Would really appreciate some pointers and or guidance, thanks.
In power boats, 120k can buy a lot of boat these days. I have a Chris Craft 47 Commander, 1970 model with flying bridge (my avatar). I bought that one specifically because Commander hulls have the reputation (DESERVED) of being all but bullet-proof. Very strong hull. I'd be happier with a larger salon, but that means bigger boat, more expensive to operate. I've got a pair of Detroit Diesel 8V53s, old 2-stroke engines that last forever. For all practical purposes, it's a displacement hull because of the engines. Repower with 350 hp 460 CID gas engines and you could water ski behind the thing. I get decent fuel mileage IF I stay at hull speed, about 8 knots. WOT will give 12 or 13 knots, but the fuel burn goes through the overhead. At hull speed, I get almost 2 miles to the gallon. That includes running the Westerbeke a lot. The boat cost $45,000 USD. A lot of freeboard, but the swim platform makes diving a snap. There's a project 47 Commander Yachtfish in Alabama right now (less freeboard at the stern), asking $25k. You could probably pick it up for 20K. Mostly cosmetic needs to bring it back. (Not my boat and I don't know the owner or broker) Just my 2 Cents worth. Best of luck to you.
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:50   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-SeaChange View Post

While we want a cat specifically a 40-44 foot SV Lagoon, financially we think it is too much of a stretch initially.

If you want something utilitarian have you looked at the commercial boat market, fishing or crew boats. If you want glitz I am all wet.

Good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:16   #11

For Oz its going to be different than here in the U.S. of course but my choices in what you are looking for would be a Grand Banks or a Rough water say 42. The grand banks goes without saying and is pretty easy to chase down for what you are asking. The Rough water boat line are an older line of boats but are excellently built and very capable being that they were built for the Pacific Northwest Market. Another Northwest market boat that I am sure you have never heard about is a Cruise-a-Home. These boats are essentially a houseboat built on a NW trawler hull. The model you would want would be a 40+ foot Corsair model which really nice. These boats were built specifically for cruising up and down the inside passage and are very capable in rough seas even though they do not look it. They came in both Gasoline and diesel power plants so you would have to hunt for a Diesel version.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 17:49   #12

You've made a lot of good points there Chris, thanks. We have already identified a few basic wants and necessities, but I think the fine tuning process of needs is a good way to go.
Old 07-02-2017, 17:51   #13

Thanks Varkpilot, your two cents worth is definitely worth more than two cents!
Old 07-02-2017, 17:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If you want something utilitarian have you looked at the commercial boat market, fishing or crew boats. If you want glitz I am all wet.

Good luck.
LOL, thanks Cadence - I'm not sure how utilitarian I really want to go. But I'm not really a glitz girl either
Old 07-02-2017, 17:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer1008 View Post
Another Northwest market boat that I am sure you have never heard about is a Cruise-a-Home. These boats are essentially a houseboat built on a NW trawler hull. The model you would want would be a 40+ foot Corsair model which really nice. These boats were built specifically for cruising up and down the inside passage and are very capable in rough seas even though they do not look it. They came in both Gasoline and diesel power plants so you would have to hunt for a Diesel version.
Okay, thanks for all suggestions - and cruise-a-home is a whole new avenue we've not considered, mainly because we didn't think that type of vessel would handle in anything but flat water, from the looks of them! Will check them out too.

[edited for spelling]

Tags
cruise, cruiser