Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 08:32   #1

Boat: Oceanis 40
Connecting WiFi Router to marina network + Marina log in page

Hi there,

I cannot get my head around this two stage connection process.

I am in a marina that has provided me with the SSID of their WiFi network and the password to connect.

Once connected to the wifi network I have to open up a webpage browser and then I have to log in with another username and password that is assigned to me personally.

My personal username and password only allows one connection at a time.

I want to somehow connect my router (Tenda W309R) to the marina network and have my devices connect to the Tenda.

Is this possible? If so, how?

I plan to buy a Ubiquiti Bullet (in the coming weeks), and I assume the same question will apply.
AFKASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Re: Connecting WiFi Router to marina network + Marina log in page

To use your router to distribute the marina signal to wireless devices onboard you will need to connect your computer to the marina using your wireless card and set up Internet Connection Sharing on your computer. Plug an ethernet cable from your computer to the WAN port on the router and you will be good to go.

The other option is to get a Groove or a Bullet or other client device to connect to the marina with. You can plug the client into the router WAN port and use the router to distribute the signal on board once you log in.
Old 02-05-2016, 13:08   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

The Tenda has two functions that you can probably use to make this work:

1. MAC Cloning. Login to the network with your PC, then follow the MAC Cloning directions in the Tenda manual.

2. WISP Mode. This allows the Tenda to connect to the other WiFi network pass through the internet connection. You may have to use it in conjunction with MAC cloning to get the connection built.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 14:59   #4

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

I use a rouge wave, they are a little pricey, but anyone can use it and its been 100% reliable. 1 connection to router and run typically 2 cells, roku, and a laptop, sometimes we have a couple of laptops running (while watching movies). I can pick up signals from about a mile away realiably, maybe further, but all the ssids are not easily identifiable as location. I have watched people in my area struggle with any signal or decent connections and try all sorts of boosters just wasting money....
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:21   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

You can log in with one machine and make this machine a virtual AP for all other machines onboard.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:27   #6

I believe this is also possible to use one router to log into the marina network and connect this one to another one with a LAN cable. Set both to bridge (LAN/wireless). Use the second router as your onboard AP.

I am not sure all routers do this but those with OpenWRT do ... ;-)

Cost: (well, two s/h routers, about USD5 each).

If any of your onboard machines is Win 8 and +, then a virtual AP is way the easiest method.

b.
Old 02-05-2016, 17:47   #7

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Technically with the rouge you dont need any computer..i have the rouge to a cheap router. Wifi in with my phone. Set the password and it remembers it. I only log in to change to a different signal across the lake when the local marina has issues
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:32   #8

Boat: Oceanis 40

Thanks guys. The reason I want to link my router to the marina router is my router has more powerful wifi.

It's no problem for me to use my mac as a hot spot when there is a decent signal.

It becomes more complicated when there are two stages to logging on to get the wifi.

Beneteau Oceanis 40 - 2008
Netherlands
AFKASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:25   #9

Much depends on your admin but I have seen plenty of those password and mac secured networks to be completely open otherwise - they offer security to the admin ;-) but none to the one who logs in!

Make sure your marina network uses proper WEP/WPA/WPA2 etc security methods. Ours DOES NOT!

b.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:39   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Hi there,

I cannot get my head around this two stage connection process.

I am in a marina that has provided me with the SSID of their WiFi network and the password to connect.

Once connected to the wifi network I have to open up a webpage browser and then I have to log in with another username and password that is assigned to me personally.

My personal username and password only allows one connection at a time.

I want to somehow connect my router (Tenda W309R) to the marina network and have my devices connect to the Tenda.

Is this possible? If so, how?

I plan to buy a Ubiquiti Bullet (in the coming weeks), and I assume the same question will apply.
Get a SIM with a big data allowance. Use it as your hotspot for your devices. Have never found a satisfactory wifi service in a Marina.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:11   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Much depends on your admin but I have seen plenty of those password and mac secured networks to be completely open otherwise - they offer security to the admin ;-) but none to the one who logs in!
I believe the OP's marina is using a radius server for authentication of users. He connects to what appears to be an unencrypted network but when he tries to go to the internet he is redirected to a sign in page. If you are using a router rather than a computer to connect to the marina, it is usually best to go to a plain "http://" website rather than a secure "https://" website. An "https" site will screw up the redirect.
Old 03-05-2016, 17:14   #12

We are in a marina with WiFi. We have been asked NOT to use amplifiers for obvious reasons. Now here we are not able to do anything online as band width has been "captured" by those streaming movies. Not the first time. If you want to use lots of band width, don't expect the marina to supply it as others also need access.
Scott N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 17:26   #13

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Some of the posters are making this way too difficult. Use your router as a NAT; that is, you will have a LAN with local addresses assigned by the router using DHCP. This way the marina will only see a single connection, that of the router connected to their wifi AP. Any computer on the LAN can log in by browsing (with http as above), getting the login screen, autofill, return, then redirect and it works. Other computers on the LAN will also have access, and if necessary can log in instead. I have been using a Bullet as my wifi client to the marina AP and as the router, an AirGateway for local AP aboard, and a small switch for connected storage (NAS) and the TV. My computers, tablet, phone, and printer all connect via wifi to the airGateway. It makes for a very clean network.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 17:36   #14

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N. View Post
We are in a marina with WiFi. We have been asked NOT to use amplifiers for obvious reasons. Now here we are not able to do anything online as band width has been "captured" by those streaming movies. Not the first time. If you want to use lots of band width, don't expect the marina to supply it as others also need access.

True, a marina should not need to indulge the video streaming needs of all of its customers, or if it does it will have to charge extra. The problem you are having is that the marina did not install and program a proper router. Even a cheap Mikrotik router, less than $100, allows for programming maximum bandwidth for individual customers (or rather, groups of customers). That way no one can hog all of the bandwidth in the marina. Typically there would be one bandwidth limit for customers, and possibly a different, higher, one for the harbormaster. It is not that difficult to set up for networking folks, but not easy for novices. It really needs to be done.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 17:47   #15

And what are those 'obvious' reasons not to use amplifiers?

I got caught.

b.

Tags
route, wifi