Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 08:14   #1

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Possible Crew Wanted for Baja Bash

Hi all,
I am putting out some feelers to see if there would be any interested parties to help me bring my boat from La Paz back to the US. I would be looking to leave La Paz on about June 23 or 24. All the books say to allow two weeks minimum so that you can wait on bad weather.

My boat is in great shape and should make the trip easily. It is a1979 44' CSY cutter, weighing about 38,000 lbs, so very sea-kindly. It is normally a lot of motoring upwind and up current with some sailing, depending on the wind.

I have a couple of potential crew already, but nothing is in concrete. Looking for chill folks above everything else. Sailing experience is great, but not mandatory. Being able to cook, etc., is also great.

As mentioned, I would need a commitment of about two weeks.

PM me if you are interested and I will give you more info.

You can check my blog to get an idea. http://www.sailblogs.com/member/odysseycsy44

Cheers, Bill
Old 13-05-2015, 10:00   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Possible Crew Wanted for Baja Bash

Finally a CF member looking for crew with a reasonable offer--not the usual mystery wackos that post here--and no response? Wow! Good luck Monte and safe sailing!
Old 13-05-2015, 10:11   #3

Hello Bill
My name is Micah Testerman. Im very interested in helping you on your trip and thought I would tell you a little about myself to see if Im a good fit. Im 28, I grew up on farms in both TN and FL with my 11 siblings. Im a very hard worker and fast learner who has dreamed of learning to sail. I've spent the last two years working as a film producer for my brothers production company Delve Films. After some soul searching this year I've decided to take the next two year or so to learn to sail and see as much of the word as i can before settling in to my career. I have only sailed with a good friend of mine on his lake boat in central OR where i live now so i do not have a lot of experience but as i said before I am a hard worker and fast learner, i need to start somewhere and this looked like it may be perfect for that. I was also the family cook growing up and would be happy to feed the crew quite well! Im happy to pay my own way and would be very excited to be given the chance to help and learn! If you're interested feel free to contact me @ micahtesterman@yahoo.com or you can call (or text) 541 213 7282
sincerely
Micah T
Old 13-05-2015, 15:37   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

You are aware that you will be doing this trip during Hurricane season right? Listed by month

[edit]
Most tropical cyclone impacts occurred in the month of September. This coincides with the statistical peak in the eastern north Pacific hurricane season, which occurs in early September or late August.[117] Although hurricane season in the eastern north Pacific officially runs from May 15 to November 30,[118] no known tropical cyclones have impacted the peninsula in May, November, or outside the season.

Number of storms affecting
the Baja California Peninsula
May 0
June 2
July 10
August 17
September 53
October 22
November 0

Infor taken from Wikipedia.

I know it can be done but an earlier departure might be more prudent.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 14-05-2015, 08:32   #5

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Charlie, yes, I am aware that this is the early hurricane season. I will be watching the weather closely as the departure date approaches. One of the advantages to leaving this late is that the weather tends to be milder and more favorable for the northward trek. That said, I'm still planning for rough weather with wind and waves on the nose.

Cheers, Bill
Old 18-05-2015, 17:59   #6

Smile Re: Possible Crew Wanted for Baja Bash

My name is Samantha and I'm a 22 year old recent college graduate looking for an opportunity to have some overseas adventures! I'm open to traveling just about anywhere but have a special place in my heart for New Zealand and the South Pacific. Would be willing to pay for my own transportation, cook/contribute to meals and am flexible with boat expenses.

At the age of six, I joined my family in circumnavigating the globe for eight years on our Halberg Rassy 53'ft. After returning to the states for high school and college, I am ready to get back to the cruising lifestyle! I grew up on the water and am passionate about traveling.

I am also a hard worker with a good attitude and love trying new things. In addition to my crew experience (docking, anchoring, night watch, long passages etc.), I raced 420's throughout high school, am a certified diver, love to cook, and enjoy a refreshing g&t with good company every once in a while. Available starting in June/July 2015.

Cheers!

Sam
Old 19-05-2015, 08:19   #7

Thumbs up Re: Possible Crew Wanted for Baja Bash

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your interest, but I believe that I have my crew for this trip. If anything changes I'll let you all know.

Cheers, Bill

Tags
baja, crew, crew wanted, wanted