Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 10:02   #1

Vancouver, Canada couple looking to rent or share a displacement power boat

Hello all,

New to this forum so I'm hoping this is appropriate place for this post...

My wife and I are mid forties, no kids, who own a 30ft semi-custom fiberglass diesel express cruiser. We have been weekend commuters to our family ocean front cabin for the last 20 years (12 months of the year). We have done many summer time cruises from days to multi weeks up the BC coast increasing our time each year. We are interested in renting or perhaps formally sharing a displacement hull power boat in the 40-50ft range for most, if not all, of July & August. We are about 10 years away from retirement and want to experience a trawler type capable boat while exploring the coastline up to and through Alaska. As we only have the weekends and July & August (and still need and want to commute) our present boat is too perfect to consider letting go and we couldn't justify having an expensive 'slow' boat sitting around for 6-8 weeks of use. We are looking to see if there is anyone that we would be the right fit for us.

Sharing our respective boats with each other, renting your boat, helping with upkeep on your boat (if you perhaps live out of town) or even maybe (eventually) a buy in / buy out of your boat would all be up for discussion. Having us aboard as crew (sharing expenses) would seem the best way to judge each other should we get to that point. I believe I would be judged by most as very capable in the handy man, mechanic & maintenance departments when it comes to boats (or yachts if we must). My wife and I are healthy, in shape types that don't smoke. We do not have pets.

We have limited experience on board a displacement boat but our desire would generally be towards the higher end likes of Nordic Tug, Nordhavn, Selene, Northwest, Diesel Ducks or any designs by Kaston, Seaton, Neville, Bray or J.Simpson. We are not interested (and with the utmost of respect to everyone and their choices) the more common production type boats which are typically semi-displacement.

Features that are a must have for us: swim grid (like to swim and launch the dinghy without trying to hang a ladder over the side), water maker or large water tanks (like the option to stay away from marinas when they're busy), robust electronics (we know how to read a paper chart and look out the front window but are much happier embracing technology), good heating system (we know very well how damp & cool the weather can be above the top of Vancouver Island).

I would be happy to discuss this further if you feel we might be a fit with your situation and boat.

Thank you.

Tags
Canada, displacement, men, power boat