Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 16:16   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Heavy Displacement Genoa In-Hauls

Hi,

I recently saw a racing boat with what I think are called in-hauls for the genoa in order to improve sheeting angle when close hauled. They used a second genoa track with a second sheet on the cabin top.

My boat can only sheet in as far as the outside of our first stay... do you think a heavy displacement vessel such as my CR would benefit from such an arrangement?

Thanks,
z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:42   #2

Re: Heavy Displacement Genoa In-Hauls

Possibly. I call them barber haulers... and used a big snatch block for that purpose led aft or just a 4 part vang style arrangement works very well if you don't mind going forward at times.
Keep in mind that pointing up isnt all about the sails though... some hulls/keel do it better. On a heavy cruiser I tend to crack off a bit for power and speed. I gradually pull the jib in to increase speed but not so far that the main isn't driving hard and well full.
the clew of the headsail in a few inches can make a big difference though at times...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 22:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Probably not on that boat. Just doesn't have an efficient enough keel to sail that close to the wind. You can make a temporary setup as Cheechako described and experiment with it to see if a narrower sheeting angle would be of benefit.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:22   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I agree that the standard name is "barber hauler", and I also agree that I have rarely seen them mentioned since the old IOR days with boats sporting huge genoas on vast J measurements. Their purpose and best use is covered off in the old Wally Ross book "Sail Power".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:31   #5

a 4 part "soft vang" type tackle is very useful on a boat in various ways. Maybe you can get one and try it out on the headsail. The blocks are expensive now days, same as mainsheet setup on some boats or vangs, but a Nautical swapmeet, with older style blocks you might find a setup reasonable...
something like this with a snap shackle built into the end of each block. probably 1/2" line for general use. Smaller would work for a barber hauler only.

Old 20-10-2014, 13:11   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Not sure how well that would work on a CR38 but if you could borrow a block or two to experiment with it's always worth a try, as was mentioned earlier the hull design also has a huge effect on pointing ability.
I've had boats with the second inboard track but they were fin keel/spade rudder boats.
On one boat I used a temporary block placed inboard to get tighter sheeting angles for upwind use, but again that was a fin keel boat.
Are there any CR owners sites that might have more specific insights?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 16:21   #7

I used the barber hauler a lot of the HC38, as well as my Perry designed 47 and Tanton 44. The HC38 is a full keel and most anything can out point that one! Like I said, even a few , maybe 6" helps a bit on long keel boats...

Old 20-10-2014, 18:42   #8

The CR's came equipped standard with soft vangs, so we have had a chance to play with that.

I was primarily interested in sheeting in at a higher angle than I can being that my cutter mast is a little more forward than on a sloop and we have four stays on each side. This means that the main really can't go out far on a run and the genoa sheeting angle is pretty limited on a close reach because of the forward most stays.

I'm trying to make up a sail config cheat sheet and during my research I came across that video.
Old 21-10-2014, 08:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The CR's came equipped standard with soft vangs, so we have had a chance to play with that.

I was primarily interested in sheeting in at a higher angle than I can being that my cutter mast is a little more forward than on a sloop and we have four stays on each side. This means that the main really can't go out far on a run and the genoa sheeting angle is pretty limited on a close reach because of the forward most stays.

I'm trying to make up a sail config cheat sheet and during my research I came across that video.
Most cutter rigs are designed with the mast a bit further aft...? you sure?

Old 21-10-2014, 16:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Most cutter rigs are designed with the mast a bit further aft...? you sure?

zzzzzrrrrfp... "aft"... cat sat on keyboard and typed "forward" with its nimble claws. Stupid cat.

Tags
displacement, Genoa, men