Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 22:00   #1

Move my Cat to Texas?

I have a 38 ft Woods Transit catamaran that is currently in the Abacos, Bahamas while I am living in Arizona for at least the next couple of years. Getting to the Bahamas to spend time aboard is too difficult, so am hoping to find somewhere to keep her within a couple of hours flight. California is an easy flight, but expensive to get there and expensive to keep there. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice regarding Texas Gulf coast?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 22:27   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Move my Cat to Texas?

If flights to Houston Hobby airport works for you, check out marinas in the Kemah/Clear Lake area. There are many to choose from. Galveston is about 28 miles farther away from the airport, but is on the Gulf. It really depends on what you are looking for - bay sailing, open water, or just a place to hang out on your boat. Kemah is pretty cool. We like it. Probably a bit safer if a hurricane hits, but may be debatable. So, where do you keep your boat in the Bahamas during hurricane season????
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 07:29   #3

I cruised the entire Texas gulf coast in 88 --it sucks.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 08:57   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Used to live in Texas and have cruised most of the coast. The Texas coast is certainly not the most picturesque of places -- muddy water and heavily industrialized -- not a lot to offer a cruising yacht. And, in general it is a bit of hike between the limited number of good anchorages/destinations. Galveston is one of the better options. The Kemah/Seabrook/Clear Lake area is one of the largest concentrations of boats on the planet, but not because it is a great cruising ground. I think it has more to do with proximity to Houston and NASA. It is an enjoyable venue, but most people just sail on the, very crowded, bay.

I've sailed a lot out of Kemah, Corpus Christi (another enjoyable venue), Port Aransas, etc. Each has their own appeal, but really good surrounding cruising ground is not one of them. If you plan to mostly day sail and then socialize on the dock they all are certainly good venues, but if you want to cruise while you are there then there are much better options.

Iv'e also cruised most of the coast east of Texas and it is certainly more appealing. In fact I really enjoy it there (at least I did pre-Katrina...haven't cruised it since). Lots of great destinations within a day sail of each other. For example, from just east of New Orleans all the way to Pensacola there is quite a good mini-cruising ground: Mississippi Sound, Mobile Bay, Pensacola Bay...good sailing, good food, good music, good anchorages, islands, several very active yacht clubs....

Maybe check flights into NOLA, Mobile, Pensacola and consider something along this section of the Gulf Coast.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 12:13   #5

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG
I have a 38 ft Woods Transit catamaran that is currently in the Abacos, Bahamas while I am living in Arizona for at least the next couple of years. Getting to the Bahamas to spend time aboard is too difficult, so am hoping to find somewhere to keep her within a couple of hours flight. California is an easy flight, but expensive to get there and expensive to keep there. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice regarding Texas Gulf coast?
Check out San Carlos/Guaymas for Storage in the Sea of Cortez. Awesome cruising and only 5 hour +/- drive from Tucson!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 22:27   #6

Belize?
HapaPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 09:17   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaPops View Post
Belize?
Used to live in Belize: Direct flight, about 2 hours, from Houston, extensive cruising ground. Ran charters and cruised there for over 5 years and there are still areas I want to cover in more detail.

Limited Marina options: Cucumber Beach in Belize City. Robert's Grove in Placencia.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 19:12   #8

Ugh such sour grapes about Texas. Home to the Third Largest Concentration of Boats in the US

We live here now and sail here (changed since 1988). Galveston Bay is huge (and empty especially Trinity Bay side). You can sail year round the water is green to brown dependent upon the amount of rain. Great Community of friendly boaters and cheap slips $400 for 40' per month and much less in the marinas west part of Clear Lake. 4 hours sailing to the Gulf or ICW down the Ship Channel

If you want blue water, then look to Corpus Christi (own airport) and South Pardre (haven't been yet but Harlingen airport is nearby), cheap flights especially on Southwest.

I have a link on top of our blog to a great wiki site about Texas destinations. Hope that helps too.
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas