Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 15:13   #1

Boat Insurance Recommendations Canada/US Coverage

Does anyone have a recommendation for boat insurance? We have a 40’ sailboat that we will be taking cruising and will need coverage in Canada (British Columbia) and the US.
Sailor89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 16:50   #2

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: Boat Insurance Recommendations Canada/US Coverage

Where are you?
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 16:57   #3

We are buying a boat in Washington and will be bringing it up to Vancouver Island. We plan to cruise along the BC and Washington coasts and islands.
Old 09-08-2019, 16:58   #4
cruiser

I just did a pile of research on this and struggled to find a good rate in Canada for a Canadian citizen.

Navis had the best rates by far. But their customer service was weak. It would take a week to two weeks for a turnaround for any questions I had. I ended up wondering what they would be like to deal with in the event of a claim so elected not to go with them.

Ultimately I went with skippersplan marine insurance. Second best rate and fantastic customer service. Speak to Petra Fischer if you call. She is on the ball and responds right away. Plus, you get a significant discount if you are a member of a sail Canada sailing club. Even an associate member. So it was money ahead for us to sign up as associate members with a local club.

I don’t know if I am allowed to add a weblink here, so just google skippersplan and you will find them.

Knot Safety
Knot Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:04   #5

Boat: Alden 44

I started out on the East Coast and got insurance (now Gieco) from:
Dianne F. Peters
E:dpeters@atlassinsurance.com
A:21 Brown & Howard Wharf, Newport, RI 02840
P:401-619-4790 F: 401-619-4791
W:www.atlassinsurance.com

These agents have been very helpful. Gieco has several options for US-Canada including one for the inside passage to Alaska. Don't know how their rates compare but they did pay for haul outs on the East Coast when hurricanes threatened, with no hassles.

I keep the boat in Sidney BC now.

Greg
GregW1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:08   #6
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor89 View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for boat insurance? We have a 40’ sailboat that we will be taking cruising and will need coverage in Canada (British Columbia) and the US.
I have BoatU.S. insurance. I live in Washington and my policy covers me for "...coastal and inland waters of the U.S. and Canada." ...I just got back from Alaska.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:25   #7

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I insure both our boats with skippers plan and Petra Fischer is my agent. She is a sailor and really understands a boaters needs . I had a claim last year and they dealt with it quickly and efficiently.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:35   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

www.hagerty.com
They have insurance that covers US and Canadian waters to 25 miles out. Unlimited recreational use. Many brokers sell for them, but you can buy direct (but for the same price). I consider them reasonable. Especially good if you have a bigger, older boat. Or wood like mine.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:01   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

I'm in Washington State and have Geico through Boat US.

They have great coverage in all US and Canadian waters and were willing to up my replacement coverage amount significantly more than any other insurers.

I also received a discount for covering my vehicles with Geico. I would say the rates are also reasonable.

My last insurer, Zurich, wanted to hit me up for fortune for sailing into Canadian waters.

Geico is easy to work with online or over the phone. When I've switched marinas the email showing the new marina as the additional insured hits my inbox as soon as I hang up the phone.

If anyone has a recommendation for a company that can do better I would love to hear about before my October renewal.

Fair winds and calm seas.

Doug
S/V Egret
Somewhere on the Salish Sea
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:04   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tashing, Panda, 38

I have been successful writing boats in Canada and down the west coast to Mexico and thru Caribbean.
If you are interested in an agent who is also a cruiser I would be happy to help.
blueblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 00:23   #11

Boat: Island Packet 349

I was recommended Bristol Insurance Group, they are an insurance broker in Seattle. Out of several quotes that they provided I chose Markel. It was about 2.5 times cheaper than what Progressive quoted. Coverage was specified initially for Puget Sound and up North to include Vancouver Island, but can certainly be extended when needed.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:07   #12

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I was recommended Bristol Insurance Group, they are an insurance broker in Seattle. Out of several quotes that they provided I chose Markel. It was about 2.5 times cheaper than what Progressive quoted. Coverage was specified initially for Puget Sound and up North to include Vancouver Island, but can certainly be extended when needed.
Interesting. We just left them after many years; they were writing us through New Hampshire Ins.

We have plans to go down to Mexico and they wouldn't write us that far south. Also - we spent the winter before last in Petersburg, AK, and we had to be on the dock in Petersburg by mid Sept.; time constraint written into the policy.

We went with Al Golden of IMIS insurance. He is on the east coast but has been a cruiser and is well versed in the needs of same. He is also writing us through Markel, but there is no time constraint on the policy; just areas. And he can write us into Mexico and the South Pacific if we choose.

Just my 2c
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:59   #13

Thanks for all the suggestions! Time to call around for quotes!

Tags
boat, Canada, insurance