Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 11:38   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Nervous About North Channel Canada

My husband and I are doing our fist "solo" charter next month, and we decided on the North Channel on Lake Huron.. and to be completely honest, I'm really nervous. To make matters worse... I can't believe how LITTLE information there is out there on line about the North Channel.

I do have the latest "ports" guide... but only about 1/3 of it pertains to the exact area we are going to cruise. I also have the paper charts... but other than that.. I can't find any information.

I looked in the "destination" forum, but there was very little there.

I understand this area is a challenge to navigate, but as I look at the charts, most of the larger islands seem to be well within our draft (36 inches). would there be lots of rocks and shallow areas that aren't marked? Also, I'm having a really hard time coming up with an itinerary appropriate for us (advanced beginners).

We are sailing out of Gore Bay, and I think we should keep our daily sails under 20 miles. We want to find nice holes to tuck into where there may be decent fishing.. hiking, and a place to put in a kayak... we don't want to stay in town, or marinas.. we like quiet solitude...

Does anyone have experience in this area? or perhaps you even know someone who has sailed in that area that you could hook me up with for some Q and A? Help!!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 11:50   #2

Re: Nervous About North Channel Canada

Have you tried Active Captain?

Have a great journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 12:17   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

It’s one of my old stomping grounds scarlet, (plus, I am the Cruising Editor for that area in Waterway Guide). It’s a gorgeous cruising grounds. Pretty easy.

You don’t say how long you are chartering, but I’ll guess a week. If you want an easy, but interesting circle, I would head out of Gore Bay, NW across the Channel towards Turnbull Island. Then I would enter what’s called the Whale’s Back and proceed east north of John and Aird and the other islands. Lots of anchorages in the area.

Make your way towards the Benjamin Islands. Lots of nice anchorages around there (Clapperton Benjis, Hotham, etc.) If you have time you could head towards Little Current, or earlier you could head up to Spanish.

From there it’s a an westerly run back to Gore Bay. (OR, do it the other way around).

This route is all short distances. It’s actually hard to do 20 mile days unless you want to sail to the far west or east end, and then come back (which can also be nice).

Get current Canadian charts. Navigation can be a challenge, but things are well charted. The Ports book or Waterway Guide (have to suggest this one ) are good. In August sudden afternoon thunderstorms can be a hazard. And some of the popular anchorages tend to be busy up until around mid-August. Otherwise, it’s pretty straight forward.
Old 25-07-2018, 13:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Have you tried Active Captain?

Have a great journey.
I haven't looked at Active Captain... In fact, I've never looked at Active Captain... Thanks for the suggestion.. I'll go look at it.
Old 25-07-2018, 13:57   #5

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I'd be nervous also. Careful of the bears if you go ashore.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 13:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It’s one of my old stomping grounds scarlet, (plus, I am the Cruising Editor for that area in Waterway Guide). It’s a gorgeous cruising grounds. Pretty easy.

You don’t say how long you are chartering, but I’ll guess a week. If you want an easy, but interesting circle, I would head out of Gore Bay, NW across the Channel towards Turnbull Island. Then I would enter what’s called the Whale’s Back and proceed east north of John and Aird and the other islands. Lots of anchorages in the area.

Make your way towards the Benjamin Islands. Lots of nice anchorages around there (Clapperton Benjis, Hotham, etc.) If you have time you could head towards Little Current, or earlier you could head up to Spanish.

From there it’s a an westerly run back to Gore Bay. (OR, do it the other way around).

This route is all short distances. It’s actually hard to do 20 mile days unless you want to sail to the far west or east end, and then come back (which can also be nice).

Get current Canadian charts. Navigation can be a challenge, but things are well charted. The Ports book or Waterway Guide (have to suggest this one ) are good. In August sudden afternoon thunderstorms can be a hazard. And some of the popular anchorages tend to be busy up until around mid-August. Otherwise, it’s pretty straight forward.
Wow! Imagine my luck! I haven't looked at all at Turnbull, or Spanish... We are definitely wanting to go to the Benjamins (could we make that 2 days? and is there good fishing there? and can you go on land, or is it too rocky or lots of cliffs? we love to hike, and explore, and we will have a little dog with us. We would love to take her ashore to play..)

Also, since we do have a dog.. do I have to worry about bear on the islands?

I'll check on the islands you recommended, and will get back to you with more questions... is it ok to drop you a private message?
Old 25-07-2018, 14:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
My husband and I are doing our fist "solo" charter next month, and we decided on the North Channel on Lake Huron.. and to be completely honest, I'm really nervous. To make matters worse... I can't believe how LITTLE information there is out there on line about the North Channel.

Does anyone have experience in this area? or perhaps you even know someone who has sailed in that area that you could hook me up with for some Q and A? Help!!!

Depending on when you're going, you might consider hooking up with the annual Trailer Sailors' North Channel Cruise. It would be an opportunity to be part of a "guided" cruise to the North Channel, as well as the camaraderie of the group, many of whom are experienced. That site also has some North Channel info and tips.

I haven't yet done that trip with them; it's on our short list. We've heard nothing but good reports, including a 2007 review in Sailing magazine.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 14:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Wow! Imagine my luck! I haven't looked at all at Turnbull, or Spanish... We are definitely wanting to go to the Benjamins (could we make that 2 days? and is there good fishing there? and can you go on land, or is it too rocky or lots of cliffs? we love to hike, and explore, and we will have a little dog with us. We would love to take her ashore to play..)

Also, since we do have a dog.. do I have to worry about bear on the islands?

I'll check on the islands you recommended, and will get back to you with more questions... is it ok to drop you a private message?

Always happy to help with stuff I know. Fire those PMs away. Be warned though, my net access is sketchy right now. I'm in a semi-remote anchorage on the west side of Newfoundland, and only get data when the boat swings east.

Shore access is generally available as long as you don't mind managing rock outcroppings as your landing site. Usually not a problem.

Black bears are definitely present. One if my best bear photos is actually taken from my cockpit in the Benjamin's. Bears are generally not a problem, but if your dog is a chaser, and can't be verbally controlled, then you probably should use a leash.

Yes, good fishing (so I'm told ... I hate fishing myself). You'll need a fishing license, and a copy of the appropriate regs.

Waterway guide has a number of anchorages marked, but there are many that are not. Definitely look at Activecaptain as well.

Anyway, fire away with the questions. Happy to help. And I know there are a number of other North Channel cruisers on CF. Hopefully others will chime in as well.
Old 25-07-2018, 15:09   #9

Yes, keep the dog on a leash and never run from a charging bear. Your only hope, however slim, is to stand your ground and fight. The bears will be gorging themselves of food for the long winter ahead so will be looking to eat anything that moves.
Old 25-07-2018, 15:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Yes, keep the dog on a leash and never run from a charging bear. Your only hope, however slim, is to stand your ground and fight. The bears will be gorging themselves of food for the long winter ahead so will be looking to eat anything that moves.

This is needless alarmism. Black bears are generally no problem. They are not going to be "looking to eat anything that moves." They are mostly chowing down on berries and grubs. They're not hunting dogs, let alone sailors.

Be aware. Try not to do anything stupid. Keep an uncontrolled dog on a leash. And yes, if you have an encounter, stop, back away, and stand your ground in the rare event of a charge. Don't be afraid, but do be aware.
Old 25-07-2018, 15:48   #11

Mikes right. You'll probably be OK. I just wouldn't want to be the slowest runner in the group.
Old 25-07-2018, 16:53   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Leave the Black Bear alone & it will leave you alone.
Hinterland Who's Who - Black Bear

Do not get between (or around) ANY young animals/birds or Mother will "attack" you in order to protect her young.

Enjoy wild animals-whales,birds,mammals-from a "non-threatening" distance & do not move towards them in what they may perceive as a threatening manner. This includes your pets.

Ask the local folks about "wildlife" procedures in a particular area & season.
Keep in mind that us yokels have survived for generations in these "hostile" environments.
E-mail /Facebook/ phone the relevant village/town website & ask.

Locals will be happy to advise you. We don't need the hassle of "cleaning up" because you "knew better".

Please be kind when you come across one of us "confused bumpkins" in your big cities. We are just as lost as you are in our territory.

Len
Old 25-07-2018, 17:18   #13

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Those black bears don't want any more to do with you than you do with them. Keep your dog on a leash and don't worry about it. If you should happen to see one, get your camera.

I doubt there are any brown bears (grizzlys) in your area, but that would be a different story.

You've been asking a lot of good questions as you get into the sailing life. Keep it up but don't let it keep you up at night.

Cheers,
Old 25-07-2018, 17:30   #14

Yes, the Grizzlys are ferocious but there aren't as many of them. It only takes one though. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 25-07-2018, 18:41   #15

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

I see you are in St. Louis. It will be cooler,especially at night.

I would not worry to much about the bears. Just respect them and the beauty around you in the North.
I assume you have read what you need to take your dog and food into Canada. I think all you need is a rabies vaccination, but best to check.

Tags
Canada