Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 05:52   #1

Motorhome and sailboat in tow

We're thinking of purchasing a 25 (thereabouts) foot Class C motorhome. Providing the trailer/sailboat is within the motorhomes towing capacity, would this be a reasonable situation or would I find myself on Youtube the first time I tried to launch the sailboat?

I've seen many videos of tow trucks pulling submerged pick up trucks up the boat ramp with the trailer (and sometimes the speedboat) attached.

Thanks,
gittist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 06:08   #2

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45
Re: Motorhome and sailboat in tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittist View Post
We're thinking of purchasing a 25 (thereabouts) foot Class C motorhome. Providing the trailer/sailboat is within the motorhomes towing capacity, would this be a reasonable situation or would I find myself on Youtube the first time I tried to launch the sailboat?

I've seen many videos of tow trucks pulling submerged pick up trucks up the boat ramp with the trailer (and sometimes the speedboat) attached.

Thanks,

I am coming out of the RV world and can't imagine a class C that could do the job. They are woefully underpowered as it is, and that's on a flat and level surface. Trying to back it up on a ramp to launch the boat would be a problem with weight distribution constantly changing based on packing the RV and fluid distribution along with algae growth on a ramp...no bueno. Then you have the problem of having the RV hit bottom as you back it over the edge of an incline. I just don't think it is going to work.
Old 17-09-2017, 06:45   #3

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I'm a sailor not an RVer and don't know what a class C is. What about a slide In camper in one of the larger 4wd pick up trucks? As long as you pick your ramp that should work fine.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 07:23   #4

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I've never tried it but I've heard the suggestion to uncouple your trailer right at the top of the ramp, then lower it to the water using a power winch, while the car/camper stays up on the level.

Might need to use a bigger wheel on your trailer jack to let it roll efficiently.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 07:30   #5

Boat: Pearson 33-2

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=5&ajaxhist=0

This is the same chassis as my fencing truck. With the gear ratio in mine, it's rated to tow a little over 29,000 lbs. That would be a fairly expensive solution to ease your concern at the boat ramp, but would solve the towing and power issues. In my cowboy days, I pretty much lived in a slide in camper. (I still have it, but my wife would like for that to change) There are some really nice slide ins available, but they are pretty cramped compared to a motorhome. If you found a suitable class C with towing capabilities, why not unhook in the parking lot and have someone with a truck back you in?
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 08:22   #6

Boat: Scout 30

If the boat is not very big I think this should work. The sailboat needs to be a swing keel extreme shoal draft boat & you'll still probably need an extension. Something along the lines of a West Wight Potter would be easy to pull & launch.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 08:29   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

The trick is keeping the drive wheels on a dry part of the ramp. For an empty '65 Dodge van I had a hitch on the front bumper and I believe some MH use this method to launch.
Starting to back it out was a little tricky with a manual, auto trans should be easier.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 08:54   #8

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Depends upon the boat and trailer weight. For any tidal launch ramps (usually steep) a person should have 4X4 wheel drive. I don't know of a Class C with 4X4 unless its a special built extreme adventure model. The suggestion of a front hitch on the MH is a good idea, we do see them around here sometimes also mounted on pick ups, but mainly to launching smaller alum fishing boats. Also see people with 2X2's having to be assisted with a helpful pull up the ramp. Even my son's 4X4 2500 was slipping on the wet ramp yesterday at low tide and on a steep ramp, but a bit of sand or kitty litter helps!!
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:00   #9

Our current sailboat is a 19' trailerable. Boat on trailer comes to about 2000 lb. This year I've fantasized about a van-sized RV to tow it, thinking that the boat plus van would provide enough living/storage space for a winter on the road.

Personally I wouldn't want to be launching a boat with any tow vehicle much larger than a pickup or a van. Many ramps are crap and I don't much like the idea of jeopardizing $100k+ of living space to launch/retrieve a $5k boat.

I like the idea of a vehicle-mounted winch, or a trailer tongue extension. Keeps that rear axle out of the water.

[edit] some interesting rigs
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:12   #10

Boat: Flicka 20

This is a great thread. I have a Flicka 20 on a trailer, the total weight is about 6,000 lbs. for the boat and 2,000 lbs for the trailer. I have a Mercedes Sprinter based Winnebago View which is 24' overall. The weak point on any Mercedes Sprinter is the transmission. I just had the transmission reworked at Level 10 in Hardyston Township, New Jersey. They installed a torque converter designed for towing, increased the number of disks in the transmission, case hardened the transmission shafts, installed a larger oil pump and reworked the TCU (transmission control unit) and the ECU (engine control unit). The cost of the work was $4,500 and it's good for a gross vehicle weight with boat and trailer of 20,000 lbs. This makes it good for transport from point A to point B and gives you a place to sleep etc. As for launch and recovery I have an extension on the trailer but I either let someone with a pickup do that or I pay a boatyard with a travel lift.

Don't get me wrong, I also have a Dodge Cummings 3500 that can do it all but I prefer to use the Mercedes for longer away times. If I were to use the Dodge I'd get a smaller slide-in camper that doesn't overhang the rear bumper by more than a few inches. I've had 3 campers before and know how they are to travel with.

The fuel milage (I only use diesel) is about the same with either the Mercedes or the Dodge when hauling, somewhere between 12-16 miles per gallon. By the way don't try to do this with a gas Class C motorhome, it won't work.

Good luck.
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:28   #11

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

If your boat has a toilet,sink,galley and bed, do you really need the rv?
We just camp in the boat when we are on the road
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 13:37   #12

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Unless you are thinking of a Sunfish, or any boat that you can manually launch, and retrieve, don't think about doing it .... unless you get the OK, in writing, from the RV manufacturer, and good luck with that.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 13:49   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittist View Post

Thanks,
What kind of boat are you thinking of? If it's small enough, like a Sunfish, you could just unhook the trailer and walk it down the ramp.

That's what I'd be looking at. I can't imagine towing around anything much larger.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 14:19   #14

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Our first sailboat was a Catalina 22, and we towed it behind our 32' Southwind motor home without any problem. We even used the motor home to launch the boat. The MH had such a long overhang aft of the rear wheels, we didn't need an extension.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ture28018.html
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 14:35   #15

Boat: 32 contessa

we have a c class RV and tow our 7 metre runabout with a 125hp merc on the back ,,, we get stange looks at the ramp but when they see the boat in the water in 1/2 the time the 4x4ers take they shut up we had a croud of 10 or so ,, when i pulled up i said this is the first try any hints ,,,, as usual in the drink in one go the look on there face`s faces were just gold ,,,
DO IT <<<
WE DO <<<
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, motor, sail, sailboat