Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 10:44   #1

West Coast Boat Shows - A bust?! ;(

Hey all,

I've been waiting for a good boat show to appear near So.Cal for the past 8 months. I want to go and see several different types of sail boats and maybe trawlers as well. I want to take my wife so that she can have a feel for different types and styles to get a better feel for our 5 year retirement plan (although I already know which one's I like).

I was anxiously awaiting the Newport Boat Show (Lido) and that Friday when I looked at the exhibitor's list was totally disappointed. All weekend cruisers pretty much. Not worth the 2 hour drive down there.

Can anyone suggest a show that I should put on my calendar?

Thanks you in advance.
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:22   #2

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma
Re: West Coast Boat Shows - A bust?! ;(

I was at that show on Friday, spent about 6 hrs there. The Newport show is advertised as the largest in CA. I don't like exhibiter listings, they don't tell the whole story. At that show they had everything from center consoles to 100' yachts. On the sailing side, among being showed, several big Bene's, the new 42 Lagoon cat, and a Lagoon power cat. Lots of trawlers there too, new and brokerage. It was a pretty good show by CA standards.
You will not find the size shows here that are on the east coast, no Miami or Lauderdale etc. However, if you go to several shows, you get a bigger selection to look at. Sure, there will be some overlap, put each one has a different vibe. Next up is San Diego, either later in the month or in June. it is smaller than Newport, but I love going down to SD and Harbor Island. The Marina Del Rey show is even smaller. The Seattle show is supposed to be on the larger side.
Just go knowing that they are somewhat limited and have a good time. You never know what you might stumble across. JMHO
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show, west coast