Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 07:37   #76

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Gideon,

What will the height be on the larger unit that would replace my Yanmar SD 30 saildrive, and 40h.p. engine

I have at least 5 feet over my base for the saildrive. what is the approx dimensions
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 10:35   #77
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Gideon,

What will the height be on the larger unit that would replace my Yanmar SD 30 saildrive, and 40h.p. engine

I have at least 5 feet over my base for the saildrive. what is the approx dimensions
The diameter of the inboard electric motor is only 8 inches and the lenght 1 foot 10 iinches the unit is made to be connected to a shaft but it might be possible to connect it to your saildrive.
The 10 Kw unit is big enough for the size of your boat we detune the 10 Kw to only 7 Kw for our 46 ft cat

greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 11:22   #78

I want to remove the saildrive. The design to change the oil on our model requires hauling the boat out at 100 hour intervals. That must be due to a design flaw. The seals could be better in my opinion, I have milky oil now that I will have to repair the seals in one drive as soon as the sailing season starts here.

I like the idea of the pod coming up into the hull, cleaning up the bottom for sailing and the no maintenance to the lower unit. No more oil changes.

I bet there is a great market to replace the older saildrives that require the oil to be drained from the bottom of the drive. The newer drives allow to change oil from above. I still don't like the design with small o-ring seals in the gearcase.
Old 17-01-2008, 11:34   #79
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In your case the best solution might be the monohull solution to lift the electric motors into the hull and closing of the bottom with a shield but it will be a costly job to do, first installing the retractable motors , generator,battery,s, wiring hydraulic actuators etc and the cost of the total system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mono Deployed and stowed box removed.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2501  
Old 17-01-2008, 11:58   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
In your case the best solution might be the monohull solution to lift the electric motors into the hull and closing of the bottom with a shield but it will be a costly job to do, first installing the retractable motors , generator,battery,s, wiring hydraulic actuators etc and the cost of the total system
I like the idea of that system, When the monohull application get rolling I will be interested.

What about doors that swing down in two halves instead of the plate under the pod.

Could the design be made less costly by lifting the unit with electric power, allowing the unit to slide on the 4 outer shafts. The lowering would be gravity assisted with some type of lock to hold it down.

just thinking of options
Old 17-01-2008, 19:20   #81

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
you can walk on the bimini
Good choice! We've got a soft one that isn't walk-on-able and it can make handling the sailcover etc a bit tricky...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 21:43   #82
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I like the idea of that system, When the monohull application get rolling I will be interested.

What about doors that swing down in two halves instead of the plate under the pod.

Could the design be made less costly by lifting the unit with electric power, allowing the unit to slide on the 4 outer shafts. The lowering would be gravity assisted with some type of lock to hold it down.

just thinking of options
once you are ready to do a installation you can order just the electric Motogens with controllers wiring control handle etc and make a lifting device of your own choice. A builder in the Netherlands is doing just that. he has his own ideas on how to make this system retractable.
You can hang it under your bridgedeck and retract it towards the back so the props end up in the lockers or just below, there are many ways to skin a cat and we will help you in any way possible to make your yacht greener anmd pollution free while improving comfort because of no noise or vibration , smoke , sooth etc and minimal or no maintenance at all.
We had 6 different generators developed that can provide 12 or 24 volts for your service batt. pack and 156 volts dc for the propulsion pack with auto switch on and of and even the for the hot water system we made a new way to heat so the heat generated by the controllers is used to heat your water and if not enough heat is available the 156 volt dc heating element takes over.
greetings
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	changes to boats 006.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	2504   Click image for larger version

Name:	green motion picture small.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2505  

Name:	African Cats Shrouded Propeller.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	2506   Click image for larger version

Name:	African Cats Shrouded Propeller 4.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	2507  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf electrical liftable props.pdf (74.4 KB, 206 views)
Old 03-02-2008, 01:25   #83

Could you regenerate power while anchored?

I love your electric motors. When I build I will be contacting you. I have been wondering over the past while if you could create a very large fabric windsock type shape to mutiply the effects of a light current in an anchorage. A the fabric scoop could be attached between the hulls to focus the current to the prop unit. Am I missing something basic or would this work. Say taking a 1/2 knot current over a 2 or 3 square meter area and funneling down it into the prop.

Haveing power like that at anchor would be a real bonus.

Any thoughts, Grant
Calverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:45   #84
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Fastcar, she looks brilliant. No doubt it will be a huge challenge to keep the displacement within the design specs, but even if you are able to keep it close she should be a rocket! I do have a couple of comments/questions, however:

1. Steps down into bridgedeck accomodation: I understand that the cockpit sole here will be open to permit drainage (and I assume that the door is designed to be watertight), but have you given any thought to sloping the raised portion of the cockpit aft to improve drainage (and to divert it away from the entry well)? In addition, how high is the lip at the bottom of the door?

2. There does not appear to be any dedicated chart table/nav station with seating. Have you given any thought to reducing the size of the galley and to installing a forward facing nav station to the port side of the settee? This is really all that is required in terms of forward visibility from below (and it permits an inside steering station through use of a joystick for the autopilot). Some of the area along the port side of the saloon could still be used for galley storage as you would need only a narrow walkway in order to access the chart table. This would be particularly true if a swing out stool was employed.

I disagree with those who are proposing a single head in this design as there does not appear to be any way to separate the sleeping area from the heads. In my experience, people still want some privacy in their staterooms/sleeping area and this achieves it by providing two separate staterooms, each with their own head.

If there is adequate headroom forward of the existing head compartments, I do believe that the standard layout would benefit from the addition of a separate shower stall. It should add minimal weight but would be a huge plus in terms of convenience and marketing.

The lack of a dedicated workbench? Obviously, you can only do some much within the design parameters of a true performance cat in this size range. An alternative would be to provide a small wooden workbench (perhaps with a removable vice) that could be installed on the table pedestal in the cockpit. Realistically, there are few occasions when one will need an enclosed workbench and you will have much more space/ventilation when working on deck.

Finally, have you given any thought to installing articulated, fold-down aluminum steps rather than the aluminum extrusion from the front of the bridgedeck to the forward cross-beam? Yes, it would add a little weight (albeit, only a little). But the length here appears adequate to provide steps down to (or close to) the bottom when beached, or anchored close to shore. I, for one, consider this to be a feature which truly takes advantage of the shallow draft of a cat. The steps (or platform when not deployed) would also provide a wider area for access to the furling gear/dolphin striker when underway. Finally, if it were removable, it could also be used from the aft deck as a gangplank to shore when med-moored.

My final question concerns the interior finish. Glued on vinyl is, of course, extremely light. On the other hand, it will eventually discolour and, as the glue (inevitably) breaks down, it will also sag. Are all of the interior surfaces either removable panels or moulded frp?

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to comment and make imput into the finishing touches of such an incredible concept/design.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11   #85
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calverley View Post
I love your electric motors. When I build I will be contacting you. I have been wondering over the past while if you could create a very large fabric windsock type shape to mutiply the effects of a light current in an anchorage. A the fabric scoop could be attached between the hulls to focus the current to the prop unit. Am I missing something basic or would this work. Say taking a 1/2 knot current over a 2 or 3 square meter area and funneling down it into the prop.

Haveing power like that at anchor would be a real bonus.

Any thoughts, Grant
Hallo Grant
Yes you can regenerate while at anchor but the current needs to be 3 knots minimum, we can adjust the rpm setting by laptop at which the charging will begin , this is normally set to 6 knots because at lower currents the charging will be minimal plus the fact that when sailing at these low speeds you do want any extra resistance.
A funnel shapede sail would help but not much since the flow of the water will take the easyest way so most will flow around it.
We standard install 4 x 210 watt solar panels plus one masthead mounted wind generator and this should keep your batteries topped up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	windgen small.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2581   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2467.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2582  

Old 03-02-2008, 10:26   #86
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo Brad I am sure we will keep her within the desing weight, our fastcat 435 with the original design weight of 12200 LBS is now well below 10400

1.The cockpit floor will be open in the rear and we will have 4 drains in nthe brest of the floor 2 of which will below the raster near the entrance
The lip under the door into the boat is 8 inches the required CE certification minimum,
Because of the light weight the boat will be very dry since she follows the waves better and does not dive in

2.She will have a forward facing nav station and the cat will have 2 heads unless otherwise ordered so each bedroom will have its own heads and shower.

The headroom will be ample but as is normally the case with us we will offer a separate shower.
A dedicated workbench can be placed forward of the shower area, these locations are so far kep ampty but can be used.
We normally use cork and maple flooring insdie our cats , very light weight. naturally anti slip , insolates well both for noise and temperature, is naturally fire resistant and veru comfortable to the feet, it discolors slightly but what doesnt , the cork is removable and we supply extra tiles in case of damage.
All interior finish is resin infused epoxy with basalt fibre and foam,spray painted or finished with veneer.

We have build a ladder in the forward compression beam but the extrta weight is just to much and at the wrong location so we have decided against it.

Greetings

Gideon goudsmit
Old 03-02-2008, 12:15   #87
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Thanks Gideon for the comprehensive response. I will not be in the market for a new cat for another 4 or 5 years, but at that time will be looking for something exactly along the lines of what you are now designing. She looks perfect for very fast, safe passages for a couple with occasional guests. My current boat is going to be left on Margarita Island for use in taking out tourists on sunset/snorkeling cruises from the small hotel that I am building. She is perfect for that as she has huge accomodation and deck areas suitable for sitting, but she is way too heavy/slow for extended offshore passages by a short-handed crew.

My only real concerns/issues with the Fastcat for my purposes - the need for a forward facing nav station, the height of the lip under the door, the absence of glued on vinyl in the interior and the availability of a separate shower stall have all been addressed. She looks great and will hopefully prove to be an Outremer-beater on the water.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 21:18   #88
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo Brad

If we compare the present Fastcat 435 with the slightly longer Outremer the FastCat beats the Outremer in every way besides going sharp into the wind, here the daggerboards give her the avantage by a 5% faster speed
However in all the other directions from 60 to 180 Degrees we are between 5 and 20 % faster, the best top speed seen so far was 26.9 knots and this cat was loaded to the maximum and the best distance covered was 446 Nm in 24 hours. I expect the new 405 to be marginally slower. I have attached 2 pictures taken by a client when sailing in between the harbor heads of the Amsterdam harbour with 26 knots of wind at 120 degrees

Greetings

Gideon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Diversen 077.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	2584   Click image for larger version

Name:	speed small.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	2585  

Old 04-02-2008, 16:31   #89

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Lordy, I wish I could afford one of those.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:20   #90
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Lordy, I wish I could afford one of those.
After 6 months of testing we will sell the prototype with a 25 % discount or
around [edited for commercial content - please contact Gideon directly for pricing] completely equipped electrically driven generator airco etc.
That will be from Miami ex sales tax or import duty is any applies

Greetings

Gideon

Tags
fastcat