Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 00:37   #1

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Something new in the mix... mid-80s Chris-Craft 42' Catalina

Yesterday, we started looking at some ads for the 42' version of the Chris-Craft Catalina. The link is to an example boat. Older than what we had previously been looking at but that era of Chris-Craft hulls seems to have a great reputation. We're only looking at diesel models at this point. Tons of room inside; very high on the livability scale for the wife and I and plenty of room for guests. Made arrangements to tour one in a couple of weeks. The prices seem very reasonable. As with a house that's 30+ years old, there would be things that need to be repaired and perhaps modernized. That's to be expected.

Anyone had one, have one or know someone that does? Experience or reputation? Anything specific to watch out for?
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 14:42   #2

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: Something new in the mix... mid-80s Chris-Craft 42' Catalina

So, one of the Chris-Craft 42s that we found online had several photos of the engine room. These are two of the photos.

What is going on with the tape around the end of that hose? The boat is currently cruising so it is operational.

The other photo seems to show a dirty engine room where there has been some leakage or something but is currently dry. They just installed a new generator and serviced the heat exchangers. I'm speculating that a thorough cleaning of the engine room is in order and then monitor for any leaks or drips. Does that sound right?

Definitely in need of a personal inspection and then a hull and engine survey.

Any thoughts you share would be appreciated.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 19:12   #3

Boat: Catalina 36

That doesn't look like a sailboat to me -- I think you have the wrong form -- This is for the manufacturer Catalina -- Not Chris Craft
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 10:07   #4

Boat: Uniflite, 36 Aft Cabin, KNOT GUILTY

John:

Without a photo of the hull, I am not quite sure but I believe that the mid-80s CC 42' Catalinas were the old Uniflite 42 aft cabin molds. CC brought the molds for the 36 and 42 along with some motor yachts around 1984 and produced them for a few years under their own name. Before they stopped production, Uniflite went from solid glass hulls to cored hull to reduce weight. They also had a great variety of diesels and I understand the Detroits can be a problem to maintain but parts and service are readily available. There is a Uniflite forum that may be able to provide you with more information.

As with any older boat, you need to have a detailed survey performed.

Gene
Comogene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina