Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 16:06   #1

Boat: O’Day 40
C&C LF 38 v Morgan 383?

Hello all-
As retirement draws closer I’m looking for a replacement for my O’Day 34. It seems like a Landfall 38 or a Morgan 382, 3 or 4 series would be a good choice for Caribbean hopping. While I think my current boat could work with a close eye toward the weather, I really thing a boat that was a little more robust & had a shower would be a better choice.

Any thoughts out there from one who knows these boats?
Thanks,
Lou
Annapolis
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 17:30   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: C&C LF 38 v Morgan 383?

I like the C & C but also like the Oday 34. You wouldn't like the sailing performance of the Morgan after the Oday.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:32   #3
Kxt

I own a 38 LF but can't attest to it's sailing characteristics (though I have been told she's fast) since she is on the hard for and extensive refit. I can give some observations from crawling thru my boat. There are some interesting ways in which C&C built the 38 LF that have impressed me. The keel stepped mast sits on an aluminum foot and because of the way the bilge is designed water should not be able to pool in that area making it less likely the mast will corrode from the bottom. I like C&C s method of chain plating l, having the chain plates attach to the standing rigging with a rod and U bolt arrangement elimenates the potential for deck leaks effecting the chain plates. The fit and finish is top notch and the interior is a unique design that I like, though some people won't. All in all they are great boats.

Now some things to watch out for. Number 1 is of course the 38 LF is a wood cored hull. It's important that any pre purchase survey checks for wet coring however they are well layed up and wet coring in the hull is rare. Another thing to watch for is the diesel tank sits on foam and could have crevice corrosion. The engine also is hard to access so proper maintenance may not have been as likely to occur. The 38 LF has rod standing rigging which is notoriously difficult and expensive to replace. Seeing as all 38 LF are getting up there in age rerigging is likely needed so keep this in mind. I am currently looking at changing the rod rigging to synthetic rigging comprised of dynemma dux. I'm hoping this will make future re rigs cheaper and keep the sailing characteristics intact. Also, look for any signs of the classic c&c smile at the keel hull joint.

Good luck in your search, if you have any more questions please let me know.
Kxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 05:22   #4

I have a LF 38 and when I bought it 4 years ago I was also considering a couple of Morgan 382 series boats.
The Landfall is an excellent sailor and build quality was very good. I’m always amazed at how well the boat perfoms compared to newer boats in both light and heavier air. She does get overpowered quickly (with a 150%), plan on reefing at 15 knots (and reefing lines are external on the boom - kind of a drag).
C&C is one of the few builders that I would consider buying with a cored hull. Deck coring is set back about 3” from the rail, so stantions and other fittings don’t pass through the core.
Yes, the fuel tank sits in foam, so corrosion can be an issue after 30+ years.
The layout is love it or hate it - I absolutely love it. Big galley and it’s a 38 with a separate aft cabin - amazing. All of this moves the saloon forward, making it more narrow, so it’s a trade-off. From what I’ve seen the 1982’s (what I have) had the nicest interiors with all wood before they started using more molded fiberglass - just my opinion.
What I didn’t like about the 382 was that the interior was bland, most had an old Perkins (vs. upgraded Yanmars in the LF’s I saw) and the big issue was the keel fuel tank in the 382 - I understand it can be a big problem. I didn’t think the build quality was as high as the C&C, but it looked to be strongly built and being a Brewer design, I’d expect they can handle some weather.
Overall, both boats are excellent choices - good luck!
Down East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 05:35   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The 38 LF is gorgeous under sail. A dated design until one blows by me in 20kts of air.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 05:49   #6

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Both are very good choices, I have sailed and cruised on both.
Look at them both and buy the one YOU like , if the find the right boat, the right condition at the right price I would be happy with either.

I jokingly used to call my friends LF 38 a Landfill 38 , but I really did like the boat, Be prepared for such speech !
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan