Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 20:25   #1

Boat: 1990 Kelly Peterson 46
DIY boat yards in HI and PNW

Hello CF,

I'm a California sailor and an avid DIY'er. In the Bay Area (San Francisco) we have two boatyards that openly accept DIY boaters. Berkeley Marine Center and Napa Valley Marina. It's true that other yards in the area allow you to work on your boat while it's in the yard but only simple projects that don't require heavy machinery or large amounts of chemicals (or much sanding, for that matter.) This also goes for other yards along the CA coast but few allow full reign of your project with 'help from the professionals when needed.' The CA EPA has made it nearly impossible for boatyards to comply. (I hope this thread doesn't go off the rails re: EPA rants!)

Curious; is this the same approach in WA, OR, and HI? Are there specific yards in those states that fully embrace the DIY boat owner, or are more and more of them turning us away? Can you provide the names of those who call us in?

Thanks for your help.
mitchisword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 23:40   #2

Boat: '71 Cruise-A-Home Corsair 40' & Fiberform 28'
Re: DIY boat yards in HI and PNW

Not a problem.
Build a trailer for your boat, haul it to your property and have at it.
goguygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 00:17   #3

Boat: Islander 36

Gentry's In Kona has dry storage where you can DIY. Keehi Marine Center in Honolulu does allow, but pretty restricted because they are busy, and you really don't want to hang out very long. In general, Hawaii doesn't work so well for cruisers IMHO
Old 20-01-2020, 17:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguygo View Post
Not a problem.
Build a trailer for your boat, haul it to your property and have at it.
That would be wonderful if my home wasn't the 36,000lb 46-ft boat I live on! Would also be a bit complicated if I was only doing a bottom job! I do envy those that can take their boat home to their back yard, though.
Old 20-01-2020, 17:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Gentry's In Kona has dry storage where you can DIY. Keehi Marine Center in Honolulu does allow, but pretty restricted because they are busy, and you really don't want to hang out very long. In general, Hawaii doesn't work so well for cruisers IMHO
I had heard of Keehi but not Gentry's. Thanks!
Old 20-01-2020, 20:03   #6

You're right- I should have said it wasn't a problem in my case.

My boat is pulled out for a major refit. I had the option of working on it at one of the two DIY boat yards I could find on the Columbia- one in Scappoose Oregon or the other at the mouth near Astoria. My challenge is that my home is 300 miles away from there, along with its no charge storage, tools and equipment and the obvious convenience.
So the trailer build made sense for me.
My previous boat was moored in Redondo Beach and I couldn't find a DIY yard around there. And Tomahawk in Portland used to allow folks to work on their boats, but I went in there last year to set something up and they said that is no longer an option. DIY yards are getting harder to find, at least on the West Coast of the US, in my observation.
Old 20-01-2020, 20:55   #7

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchisword View Post
I had heard of Keehi but not Gentry's. Thanks!
If you get in touch with Gentry's, tell them to check their email inbox. I got no reply.
Old 20-01-2020, 20:57   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Canal Boatyard, Southpark Marina and Port Townsend Boat Yard are the three I've used and am familiar with in Washington, if that helps...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 20:59   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
You're right- I should have said it wasn't a problem in my case.

My boat is pulled out for a major refit. I had the option of working on it at one of the two DIY boat yards I could find on the Columbia- one in Scappoose Oregon or the other at the mouth near Astoria. My challenge is that my home is 300 miles away from there, along with its no charge storage, tools and equipment and the obvious convenience.
So the trailer build made sense for me.
My previous boat was moored in Redondo Beach and I couldn't find a DIY yard around there. And Tomahawk in Portland used to allow folks to work on their boats, but I went in there last year to set something up and they said that is no longer an option. DIY yards are getting harder to find, at least on the West Coast of the US, in my observation.

The one in Scappoose is probably Rocky Point Marina. They were a DIY boatyard when I worked on my boat there 18 years ago...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 21:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
The one in Scappoose is probably Rocky Point Marina. They were a DIY boatyard when I worked on my boat there 18 years ago...

No, it is Dike Marine Service.
https://www.dikemarinestorage.com/

My boat slip was at Rocky Point until recently. They are a full service yard, zero DIY allowed nowadays.
Old 21-01-2020, 07:30   #11

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37

Both Zittel's and Swantown in Olympia WA allow DIY.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 09:14   #12

Boat: Maxi 95, 31ft

Boat Haven in Port Townsend will allow any work I have ever seen and will allow, in reality, expect that you will live aboard in the boatyard while you work.

Do the clean up they require at the end of each day. The fines that you agree to when you sign the contract are very painful.

Also consider the Shelter Island in Richmond, BC. Very nice people also the live aboard facilities are better than PT, and a good bit less expensive given the current exchange rate.
johnjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 12:25   #13

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I have a slip at their marina. They usually are booked 2-3 months out, but there are exceptions.

Boatyard – Keehi Marine Center
Attached Files
File Type: pdf YARD-TERMS-CONDITIONS-AUG-2019-.pdf (192.6 KB, 24 views)
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 13:30   #14

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
No, it is Dike Marine Service.
https://www.dikemarinestorage.com/
This yard is not on the water. It is necessary to haul out at Rocky Point, then use a boat mover that Dike specifies. For long term work it may pencil out but for modest jobs like bottom paint it does not.

AFAIK the only fully DIY-friendly yards on the Columbia are the municipal yards run primarily for the benefit of the fishing fleet at the mouth in Astoria and in Ilwaco, WA. I think one or two yards allow a little DIY work while the pros do the big jobs, but the daily charges for DIY-only are ridiculous. Bringing in a pro, if allowed, entails bonding (reasonable IMHO) and a large cut to the yard.

A friend who is a bonded professional boat repairer hauled his own boat to work on, thinking he had an agreement to do so. When it came to pay the bill they charged him for the hours he worked. Nice.

Needless to say, as someone who built his own boat, I have a very bad attitude about all of this. However I do think that it is not unreasonable for boat yards to insist that they do the bottom cleaning and sanding (for a modest sum) because ultimately they will be held accountable for any resulting pollution. It might even be argued that they do the bottom painting for the same reason. But requiring customers to buy the paint through them is classic anti-competitive behavior - and yet strangely not enforced.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 21:37   #15

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
Both Zittel's and Swantown in Olympia WA allow DIY.
You should call And speak to Clay Ann at Ziittles, last I heard you cannot sand or bottom paint your vessel there.
And find out what they now allow.
Environmental Regulations have changed since the no Discharge area was created.
Swantown will require your sanding be done in an enclosed plastic tent as well your Vaccume must be of a specific HP with a certain capacity
Call and speak with Nate for DIY details.
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, DIY