Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 03:03   #1

Boat: Boatless
New Zealand to Alaska

We are in the final preparations for a 'delivery mode' trip from New Zealand to Alaska. The route will be Wellington to Nuka Hiva to Hawaii to Sitka. 'Delivery Mode' because of the need to get out of Hawaii before their hurricane season.

We hope to ride the top of the lows east out of New Zealand at about 40 S and then turn up towards the Maquesas. Has anyone any practical experience with this route? If so at what longitude were you able to turn north.

I have spent weeks studying the route but practical experience would be appreciated.

Why Alaska...I promised to take my Grandkids salmon fishing!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: New Zealand to Alaska

Sounds like an amazing journey. Hope to see pictures and updates as you can along the way.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:26   #3

My friend did a similar passage going a little south of NZ to pick up the westerlies and then sailed down to Tahiti and then reached across to Hawaii. Once in Hawaii it's a beat north for 5 days or so to reach the westerlies or north westerlies and then your good to go to Alaska, similar route to BC. When I first met Jimmy Cornell he also chose to only go as far as Tahiti before reaching to Hawaii on his return leg to the Antarctic so I don't think you have to go as far as the Marquesas Islands but each to there own. I've sailed back from Hawaii 4 times and it's an ok sail but lots of fog as you get up north and make sure you have warm clothes because even though it's summer I've experienced sleet on that route, certainly not like sailing in the tropics. You will quite likely experience a gale or 2 as the lows coming across on top of the stationary high are reasonably frequent in that neck of the woods. You'll usually have all the wind you need to sail except as you close in on the mainland it can get pretty light sometimes. Have a great sail.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 16:19   #4

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. I had Good Canadian Mates do the trip (except they went into Papeete) a few years back. They got caught in a big high pressure system that parked after it moved east past New Zealand. Spent a 3 to 4 days hove to in 35 to 40 knots waiting for it move. Be care of high pressure systems over 1035 hPa and you would stay south of 40 degrees until you approach 145ishW to turn north, unless the local 2 to 3 day forecast is favorable as you draw close. Trust that helps with the planning. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 17:50   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

If you make landfall at Sitka, take outside waters around Chichagof to Elfin cove just inside cross sound. From there it's a short hop to Bartlett Cove (Glacier Bay) rather than battling currents and tides up inside waters. Give me a shout when you're in the area.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 19:18   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We learned about 'squash zones' in the southern part of French Polynesia. It was one of those 1035 mb highs with a low passing to the south. We got 55+ knots and then when the low had passed by less than 10 for our passage to Papeete. Perhaps the secret is to wait until a low has gone by and then head north before the next one comes.
Old 24-03-2017, 07:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
We are in the final preparations for a 'delivery mode' trip from New Zealand to Alaska. The route will be Wellington to Nuka Hiva to Hawaii to Sitka. 'Delivery Mode' because of the need to get out of Hawaii before their hurricane season.

We hope to ride the top of the lows east out of New Zealand at about 40 S and then turn up towards the Maquesas. Has anyone any practical experience with this route? If so at what longitude were you able to turn north.

I have spent weeks studying the route but practical experience would be appreciated.

Why Alaska...I promised to take my Grandkids salmon fishing!
Howdy Captains Nell and Phil!

Your PM box is full and will not accept any more PMs.
I would like to send you an email with some info about your voyage to Alaska.

Please send your email address to me via a PM.

Thanks!
Steady

P.S. The Tayana 55 is a beautiful boat! I looked at one inside and out when I lived in SF and was greatly impressed by it. What a wonderful boat to have for cruising or sailing!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:01   #8

Boat: Stevens 47

Curious on how the trip to Alaska went ? We are debating heading home to BC via Alaska and looking at the route from the Marshall Is to Alaska.
Fluenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 15:10   #9

Boat: Boatless

We turned back to NZ because of storm damage. We then went to Fiji and north to the Marshals where we waited out cyclone season. In March we sailed Marshals to Guam to Osaka Japan and will head for Alaska on June.

Japan is wonderful and we are very pleased we are here. Tannowa yacht harbor is a great place to explore Japan from...safe and only 10 min walk to the train it costs us $40/day for a 55 ft boat.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 16:13   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

That sounds very much like landing on your feet, guys. Well done.

Ann
Old 06-05-2018, 17:37   #11

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
We turned back to NZ because of storm damage. We then went to Fiji and north to the Marshals where we waited out cyclone season. In March we sailed Marshals to Guam to Osaka Japan and will head for Alaska on June.

Japan is wonderful and we are very pleased we are here. Tannowa yacht harbor is a great place to explore Japan from...safe and only 10 min walk to the train it costs us $40/day for a 55 ft boat.
Hmm ... Interesting ... we are looking at that option now too for next year.

Not quite ready to be done cruising the Pacific so that route would let us see a bit more before heading home to Canada. Would be interesting to go via some of the other Micronesia islands before going to Guam.

Loved the Marshall Islands. We were there last cyclone season and spent a lot of time at Ailuk kitingboarding and visiting with the folks at Enjelar.

We look forward to following your trip across to Alaska. Safe passage.

Cheers,

Max
Fluenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, New Zealand