Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 12:42   #1

Cruising Catamaran Questions

Do catamarans heave-to as easily as monohulls?

Is downwind the fastest point of sail for a cruising cat? For monohulls, upwind legs seem fastest but I suspected this would differ for large cats - ?

Thanks.
MrAntigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Cruising Catamaran Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAntigone View Post
Depends on the design, but yes. For example on one of my previous larger cats to heave to was a simple matter of furling the job, traveller down, tighten main sheet, then tacking. To get going again ease mainsheet, unfurl jib, away you go.

Quote:
Is downwind the fastest point of sail for a cruising cat? For monohulls, upwind legs seem fastest but I suspected this would differ for large cats - ?
Beam reaching is the fastest point of sail for most multis
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:54   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:

Thanks.
Catamarans can certainly "Heave-to" but its done a little differently..

Downwind is definately NOT the fastest point of sail on my cat.. Actually I hate pure downwind sailing unless I'm running a chute. Our fastest point of sail is Beam Reach easily. Last season we went from Gaudaloupe to Antigua on a beam reach in 19 knots of wind and made 9knots speed over ground. I thought I was flying till our buddy boat passed us doing 10.5 (a Privilege 495) . Thats why cats are so popular in the Caribbean. Its easy to wait for the right weather and run on a beam reach between islands.

However.. Our catamaran is pretty damn fast downwind if running a chute. I'm just not a good enough sailor to enjoy running a big spinnaker..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 15:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Thanks.
As others have said, generally it's on a beam reach on a cat.

I disagree about upwind being fastest for monohulls. I find beam or broad reaching fastest on most that I've sailed (depending on design, sails and weather)

If you google "sailboat polar diagram" and look at the images, you will get a fairly clear picture.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 17:16   #5

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Cats spill less wind on a beam reach but it is easy to have toooo much canvas up and cause rigging stress. So a beam reach is faster but you have to be careful.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 17:43   #6

I've tended to consider a beam reach upwind. The sail still seems to be acting as an airfoil. That's been my classification for "upwind" versus "downwind." Perhaps this is incorrect or idiosyncratic. Will Checkout sailboat polar diagram.
Old 05-11-2017, 18:28   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

Thanks.
Generally yes, but (for both monos and cats) it depends on the specifics of the boat...and every boat has its own quirks. My cat for example, has longer (fore - aft) mini keels than most and heaves to beautifully using same technique as traditionally used on monos (reduced jib backed, helm to windward, main eased)...holds a close reach point of sail...as it should...you dont want to be beam-to in any signifcant sea state. If a boat (cat or mono), is lying too broad to wind then you can try sheeting the main in a bit, which shifts CE aft, and brings the bow up.

Boats with fin keels/boards may require more coaxing or a different technique all together (like main only).

For most boats (cat or mono), a shallow broad reach in a good breeze is the fastest point of sail, but again depends on boat (look up polar diagram for specific boat as suggested). Close Reach/Close Hauled can be fastest in light air and minimal seas because you are creating more apparent wind. But as winds and sea state pick up, bashing into seas slows you down (esp so on a cat).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 18:47   #8

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2017, 20:25   #9

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

Thanks.

My cat with boards is very difficult to heave to as the angle of balanced heave-to is small and waves are easily able to knock her off that balance. So I don’t bother with heaving to - if we need to rest then we reef right down and slow down - either on the original course or by running with it (plus drogue if necessary to limit surfing).

Fastest angles for our boat is between 90-120 true wind angle. This generally means between 60-80 apparent wind angle. I don’t think this is much different than the fastest angles for a monohull. Ignoring using spinnakers in high wind surfing conditions as I assume you are asking about cruising boats - as that is the fastest sail plan for planing monohulls.

The differences are probably not so much between small and large cats but more to do with the cat’s performance rating.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 20:48   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1944 View Post
Catamaran is not a boat. It’s a raft.
Humpty Dumpty Mk II has entered the building.
Old 05-11-2017, 21:06   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Just went for a little sail today on a mono in 12-14 knots of wind, fairly flat seas. With 26 people on board it was a bit overloaded, but upwind speed was 9+ knots, with VMG of 7. Downwind, 12-13 knots with vmg 10. A nice sunny day and the decks stayed dry.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 21:45   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1944 View Post
Catamaran is not a boat. It’s a raft.
Uncalled for, insulting and adds nothing. If you dont want to sensibly discuss multis what are you doing in this part of the forum.
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 21:52   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Uncalled for, insulting and adds nothing. If you dont want to sensibly discuss multis what are you doing in this part of the forum.
while I agree with you, this sort of answer is fuel for the fire IMO. If you simply ignore these trolls they may go away, but at least it dampens the back and forth recrimination that so often ensues. This seems to be satisfying to the troller, for he has once again gotten your goat. Deny him that pleasure!

Jim
Old 05-11-2017, 22:10   #14
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
while I agree with you, this sort of answer is fuel for the fire IMO. If you simply ignore these trolls they may go away, but at least it dampens the back and forth recrimination that so often ensues. This seems to be satisfying to the troller, for he has once again gotten your goat. Deny him that pleasure!

Jim
I'm sorry Jim, but IMO you as a moderator should take care of that post. You called him a troller. It is 100% obvious that the poster is attempting to create conflict, which should not be allowed.

Rules:
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

and this:
Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

Do you as a moderator follow the rules because if so, Steve 1944 should have his account restricted. Make a decision Jim, because enough is enough.
Old 05-11-2017, 22:34   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'm sorry Jim, but IMO you as a moderator should take care of that post.
Jim's not a moderator. Ann is - hopefully he will report it to her.

(Incidentally, I got told off for calling another member a troll - apparently we're not supposed to do that).

Tags
catamaran, cruising