Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 17:22   #1

Boat: Columbia 34MkII
pirate All I wish I knew before setting sail - how to advertise a book?

Hey mates,
So I have been working on my sailing book for a while now (see quick summary below) and I finally published it! Hurrah! Well, but now I was wondering what's the best way to advertise it?

FYI, I did go the self-publishing route which gives me the most control over my book, allows quick updates, and is actually fun - however there is no publishing house to help advertise it.

------- book info ----
All I wish I knew before setting sail: A practical guide for short and long distance cruising in the digital age.

If you are toying with the idea of taking a temporary break from the daily grind or planning to run away to paradise forever, this inspirational manual will assist you along the way. The author shares his experience of crossing the Pacific Ocean in an inexpensive, good old boat and provides solid advice for each step along the way. Starting with how to escape the rat race and excite your loved ones to join you, to the search for the perfect boat and how to prepare and outfit her in the digital age. Follow along as useful cruising skills, safety at sea, and dealing with foul weather are explained. Read about the pros and cons of living aboard a cruising yacht, how to stay up to date on weather, and route planning. Throughout the narrative the author combines his knowledge with the advice of other cruisers, expert views, and scientific results in a laid back, conversational style. Big adventures need a fair bit of planning and this book comes with a wealth of advice on how to go about it, while also providing the necessary inspiration. Most importantly, the author emphasizes that strong determination and commitment rather than a high income are the recipe to cast off the lines tying you to land and follow your dreams.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:37   #2

Re: All I wish I knew before setting sail - how to advertise a book?

You might contact the book review folks at all of the sailing magazines (online and print). Maybe you can get a review published which would help.

Of course, you can always buy ads in one or more of these same magazines.

FB page?
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
You might contact the book review folks at all of the sailing magazines (online and print). Maybe you can get a review published which would help.

Of course, you can always buy ads in one or more of these same magazines.

FB page?
Thanks, yes I did just that today and contacted three sailing magazines. One replied already to my email - and they are interested in reviewing the book!

I also started a Facebook page @AllIwishIknew and regularly post short excerpts from the book there.
tv195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:06   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Are you self publishing on Amazon Kindle?

There are a number of promotional options there and you immediately have access to worldwide markets. My books have sold in about half a dozen countries now...pretty amazing when you comare it to the effort and expense of old school printed book publishing to achieve the same thing.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:54   #5

Just a tip. I couldn't find your FB page by searching for alliwishiknew or all I wish I knew
I needed the full title (found it with a google search). I'm interested in the book so I'll take a look at the FB page now
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:02   #6

Boat: Pearson 367

Timely post. Just finished the book a couple days ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it covered a lot of info I haven't seen in other cruising books.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:51   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

You can advertise by CF and other forums. Just look around this post - there are adds atop, to the sides, etc. Ask the admins how to post your add.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 15:46   #8

Boat: Hunter 386

It's ironic that the "self-publishing" industry often forgets that 2/3rds of publishing is selling the damn book after you've made it :-)

That said, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, a quick book website, forums like these (and there are lots more of them out there) are all quick and easy methods of marketing your book. Talk to your local bookstore and chandlery. Talk to you local paper...they often like to do a "local boy makes good" story...same thing for the local morning shows. Contact other marine suppliers: anchor makers, electronics companies, life jacket manufacturers, marine insurance brokers etc. and let them know about your book and see if you can do a deal. Giveaway copies in exchange for a mention in there email blasts or at their next trade show... A maxim in the publishing industry is that the book itself is often the cheapest form of advertisement: the more hands you can put it into that are in a position to recommend it to someone else the better off you are.

Network. Trade shows and boat shows often have booths. Send a copy to someone more famous than you are for them to mention on their social media. You never know they might actually really like it and mention it to their contacts and so on and so on...

Readings and book launches, while mildly glamorous are generally a waste of time if family and friends have already been persuaded to buy, but giving a talk at the local yacht club on a related (or even non-related) topic will put you and the book in front of fresh eyes. Anywhere more than 4 potential new sailors gather is often worth a poster, postcard or even a complimentary copy. I used to like doctors and dentists office as a potenial place fore "reading copy" — what's the nautical equivalent? The local yacht broker? A boatyard laundromat? Be creative.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas. Remember there is a difference between advertising and publicity: publicity is free, but advertising is more targeted. A mix of both is the best strategy.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Are you self publishing on Amazon Kindle?

There are a number of promotional options there and you immediately have access to worldwide markets. My books have sold in about half a dozen countries now...pretty amazing when you comare it to the effort and expense of old school printed book publishing to achieve the same thing.

Yes I self-published it on amazon. And thanks for the hint, I just looked it up and it seems amazon allows "Sponsored Products" and "Product Display" ads - do you have any experience with these?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
Just a tip. I couldn't find your FB page by searching for alliwishiknew or all I wish I knew
I needed the full title (found it with a google search). I'm interested in the book so I'll take a look at the FB page now
Thanks for checking, and sorry it seems you have to search for "All I wish I knew before setting sail" on facebook, although the URL is ...facebook.com/AllIwishIknew/
Old 07-11-2017, 03:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Timely post. Just finished the book a couple days ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it covered a lot of info I haven't seen in other cruising books.
Fantastic, thanks! Great that you enjoyed it!
Would be great if you could add a quick review on amazon- thank you!
Old 07-11-2017, 03:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You can advertise by CF and other forums. Just look around this post - there are adds atop, to the sides, etc. Ask the admins how to post your add.

Cheers,
b.
Thanks, what's the best way to get in touch with the admins? Just using the "contact us" link?
Old 07-11-2017, 04:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
It's ironic that the "self-publishing" industry often forgets that 2/3rds of publishing is selling the damn book after you've made it :-)

That said, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, a quick book website, forums like these (and there are lots more of them out there) are all quick and easy methods of marketing your book. Talk to your local bookstore and chandlery. Talk to you local paper...they often like to do a "local boy makes good" story...same thing for the local morning shows. Contact other marine suppliers: anchor makers, electronics companies, life jacket manufacturers, marine insurance brokers etc. and let them know about your book and see if you can do a deal. Giveaway copies in exchange for a mention in there email blasts or at their next trade show... A maxim in the publishing industry is that the book itself is often the cheapest form of advertisement: the more hands you can put it into that are in a position to recommend it to someone else the better off you are.

Network. Trade shows and boat shows often have booths. Send a copy to someone more famous than you are for them to mention on their social media. You never know they might actually really like it and mention it to their contacts and so on and so on...

Readings and book launches, while mildly glamorous are generally a waste of time if family and friends have already been persuaded to buy, but giving a talk at the local yacht club on a related (or even non-related) topic will put you and the book in front of fresh eyes. Anywhere more than 4 potential new sailors gather is often worth a poster, postcard or even a complimentary copy. I used to like doctors and dentists office as a potenial place fore "reading copy" — what's the nautical equivalent? The local yacht broker? A boatyard laundromat? Be creative.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas. Remember there is a difference between advertising and publicity: publicity is free, but advertising is more targeted. A mix of both is the best strategy.
Great, thank you! - that definitely gave me lot's of ideas! I created the book website (books.greenpanther.org) already and I am also using facebook to promote the book. I like your idea of contacting marine suppliers and I will hunt down some famous people to review the book and hopefully they will like and endorse it. And I have no fancy book launches or readings planned, so far I just showed the book to a couple of friends.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:41   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv195 View Post
Yes I self-published it on amazon. And thanks for the hint, I just looked it up and it seems amazon allows "Sponsored Products" and "Product Display" ads - do you have any experience with these?
I have read their pages about them, but not used the paid promotions yet. There are other non-paid promotions like free book give aways and Kindle price count downs which I have used.

My perspective is that my books (Belize Cruising Notes and Western Caribbean Cruising Notes) are narrow niche books with a limited audience, not block busters waiting to happen, so spending any significant $s to promote them is not a good investment.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I have read their pages about them, but not used the paid promotions yet. There are other non-paid promotions like free book give aways and Kindle price count downs which I have used.

My perspective is that my books (Belize Cruising Notes and Western Caribbean Cruising Notes) are narrow niche books with a limited audience, not block busters waiting to happen, so spending any significant $s to promote them is not a good investment.
Thanks for that!
And I totally hear you when it comes to paid advertising. Well, my book should be useful for anybody who is interested in cruising, but that's only a small fraction of the population so it's no blockbuster either.

BTW, did you ever sail by Carrie Bow Cay? Beautiful place - I was lucky to work there for a few weeks back then.
tv195 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail