Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 10:45   #1

Boat: Boatless
Chafing Gear on Anchor Rode?

I'm wondering what one would use as chafing gear on anchor rode if anchoring is a big storm. I watched a boat in Irma on Biscayne Bay at anchor, and it was still there after the hurricane departed. I could not tell if the boat was on all chain but if it was not, clearly chafe on the rode at the bow roller would be a giant issue. I recently read that a boat with chafing gear that used velcro to attach the gear, like ones sold in a marine stores, had every line fail, attributed by the boat's owner to velcro itself chafing against the rode.

A tube of some kind would be a problem to attach as one would have to thread it from the vessel end of the rode which would work, but one would likely need to let out all the line to do so, in my case 125' of chain plus 175 ' of rode.

Thoughts?
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 11:37   #2

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop
Re: Chafing Gear on Anchor Rode?

Depends on your bow arrangement. We have a bowsprit, so we use a bridle with chain grabber. Our rode is all chain, so we let out our scope, back down to set and then just grab the chain with the bridle and set it up.

Here's a picture of the grabber.

When we started cruising, I slit old vinyl hose and exhaust hose, poked holes in them, put line through and made them fast with rolling hitch. These made poor chafe guards, they would work loose.

Nowadays I use fire hose and don't cut them open, just slide them over the end. Obviously, a lot easier to do on a 15' bridle than your entire rode. If you can puzzle out a way to do it, I'd suggest not to cut whatever you use as chafe guard as it usually works loose in rough stuff.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, gear, rode