Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 00:33   #1

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32
SHORT NOTICE - Panama City Florida to Clear Lake Texas via ICW

Crew:
This is a UNPAID crew position. Departure from Panama City, Florida is anticipated near the end of March or beginning of April depending on the weather. The wind predictions from Weather Underground indicate that Sunday, March the 26th would be a favorable window to depart. That may change.

Ideally, the candidate to crew would be seeking to satisfy U.S. Coast Guard License / Credential Requirements: "Must be able to document 360 days of experience on a vessel. Must have 90 of these days within the last 3 years." However, this crew position is open to anyone of reasonable physical condition, skill and experience; male, female, old, young, black, white or green. Pleasant and ethical persons of good moral character; persons that are also neither dogmatic nor intolerant, are strongly preferred.

Rules:
  • Safety first.
  • No illegal anything allowed.
  • No alcohol consumption allowed while underway.

Conditions:
  • Some sailing experience is expected.
  • Common sense and a good natured disposition are required.
  • Should be able to steer a course, use the VHF and read a chartplotter - at minimum.
  • Provisions within reason are provided (food, drink, snacks; I'm open to suggestions).
  • Travel expenses and personal items (including foul weather gear) are NOT provided.
My food choices underway run toward healthy snacks and weather appropriate canned meals like soups and stews with sandwiches. Moored, docked or anchored are a different story. But I'm flexible. Your input is welcome.

The Boat:
1979 Endeavour 32'
  • Galley is adequately equipped and stocked.
  • The vessel is mechanically sound.
  • She has some issues, mostly cosmetic, but she is serviceable and reasonably comfortable.
  • Under power, she can easily make about 125 miles a day when operated on a 24 hr watches. At approx 6 gal per day, we have fuel for 7 x 24 hr days of motoring or 875 mi.
  • Tankage includes 76 gallon of fresh water (fresh water for bathing, cooking, cleaning, etc., and bottled water for drinking), a 15 gal holding tank and 20 gallons diesel fuel with 25 gallons (5 x 5 gal fuel cans) in reserve (45 gallons).

The Plan:
St. Andrew's City Marina near Panama City, Florida to Kemah, Texas in Galveston Bay via the Intracoastal Waterway. This trip should be easy. It will not be a 'forced march', but there are places where it would be best to sail straight through. For instance, I don't think it wise to linger in the Mississippi Sound this time of year, because it is mostly open to the Gulf wind and waves and also because sheltered anchorages are scarce or are in some cases, many miles out of our way. However that crossing is doable in about 30 hrs.

Mississippi Sound:

In cases like this it is better to just keep going. However, anchoring in some areas before and after this stretch would be acceptable and even desirable. Most reasonable items concerning this trip are negotiable, such as stops along the way, what's on the menu and the occasional day off. Again, I'm flexible. The overarching goal will be to safely and happily arrive at our destination as friends and shipmates. Hopefully we might be able to learn from each other too.

About me:
I am a 66 years old, happily married man in reasonably good physical condition and have single-handed the boat from Myrtle Beach to the Georgia/Florida border in December. The boat required some towing due to reoccurring fuel problems. Since then the entire fuel system has been upgraded and the 22 hp Yanmar diesel engine is now in good working order.

With the addition of a single crew member in Fernandina, Florida at the Georgia border, we rotated watches and sailed 24 hrs a day comfortably. We made the transit down the east coast of Florida, across the Okeechobee and back up the west coast to Dunedin (north of Clearwater/St. Pete). That's over 550 nautical miles with two overnight stops in five days. This trip will be about 100 miles longer (about 650 mi), so a 7-10 day estimate offers a lot of latitude.

If you need clarifications, more details or simply wish to ask questions, you may post them here. To exchange contact information, you may send a personal message. I'll answer as quickly as I can.
Old 21-03-2017, 01:17   #2

Re: SHORT NOTICE - Panama City Florida to Clear Lake Texas via ICW

As an aside, Greyhound bus tickets between Houston and Panama City run about $50 to $60. If it becomes critical, I may be able to cover that amount.
Old 21-03-2017, 09:14   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Philip, I wish that I were at liberty. I'd love to join you if I could. Good choice to add a crew member for this part of the journey.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 10:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Philip, I wish that I were at liberty. I'd love to join you if I could. Good choice to add a crew member for this part of the journey.
Hey mate! Hope all is well. I wish you were available too. Passing through NOLA could turn into a celebration! Besides, I love your stories!

Yeah, a crew adds a lot of convenience and options. Besides, there are long stretches where the bottom is just muck and anchoring out becomes a giant messy hassle. I want this to be a flexible fun-run, know what I mean?

The run from Fernandina to Dunedin was a blast. Scott and I went to Adam's in Moore Haven for some outstanding ribeye steaks and to soak up some local color. Whew, have I got some stories.
Old 21-03-2017, 19:12   #5

These shots are from our crossing of the Okeechobee on our third day out of Fernandina. As you can see, I let my hair down in Moore Haven. It's almost long enough to donate again. That is Scott on the helm coming out of the lock and into the Okeechobee. Anyway, I can't wait to get back out there!

There looks to be a weather event next Saturday, March 25th. The day following the wind and waves lay down for almost a week. Winds are out of the south and the weather will be warm. So there is plenty of time to cross from Mobile Bay to New Orleans. That would be a great place to hang out, eat well and recharge our proverbial batteries. What? No takers yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161220_162512.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	143658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161231_125353.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	143659  

Name:	IMG_20170113_075443.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	143660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170113_081402.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	143661  

Name:	IMG_20170113_075054.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	143662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170101_175826.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	143663  

Old 21-03-2017, 19:48   #6

When we stopped for fuel in Fort Myers, it turns out it was bike day. We stayed a while.
Attached Files
Old 23-03-2017, 13:20   #7

Ok, we're getting the band back together! Position is filled! Thanks everyone!

MODERATOR: You may archive this thread now. Thank you.
Old 27-03-2017, 18:18   #8

Boat: Ohlson 35,1961/Pearson 30 Coaster 1968

sounds like a great trip,hope it goes well,out of time..cant join
offtosea07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 06:14   #9

Boat: Hunter 27

Phil:

How did you make out in regards to finding a crew? I have a 27 foot Hunter sailboat that I want to move to the Sarasota FL area this fall and was going to post an ad later this summer or early fall. Mike
mwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 06:42   #10

I got no takers. But that's alright. I landed at Blue Dolphin fuel dock 7 o'clock yesterday morning. It was a great trip.
Old 20-05-2017, 06:48   #11

Boat: Hunter 27

I'm over at the Kemah Boardwalk Marina; been there for 3 years. Did you big her thru the GCWW by yourself? Id enjoy getting together some time for a cup of coffee or lunch etc. Mike
mwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 07:52   #12

Yes, I did go solo to Kemah. I put Nauti One in Seabrook marina. How about Sunday?

Tags
clear lake, florida, icw, Panama, texas