Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 14:04   #1

Boat: Columbia 36
Available for crew positions on weekends: Ft.Myers/Cape Coral Area

I am looking to gain experience sailing and would be available to crew over the weekends as I work during the week. I do not have any experience but I am a quick learner and I am excited about any opportunities that would be available.

I am looking to eventually get my own sailboat and would like to gain some experience before I do so.

I live in Cape Coral Fl, but would be willing to travel if it is within reason.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
romra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 15:04   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Available for crew positions on weekends: Ft.Myers/Cape Coral Area

I started out that route many years ago. I crewed for the weekend races at Treasure Island Yacht Club which is north of Ft Meyers. Between races I picked the skippers brain about every boat I found attractive as well as local cruising. With no knowledge you'll start out as "rail meat", movable ballast but pay attention to what everyone else is doing. Next someone won't show up and you'll have a new position.

It would be best if you find a club with an active racing program. That might be difficult in your chosen area because of the large elderly population. Just keep trying and someone will know someone who knows someone. Your other choice would be to take a few lessons (mine were for $25 with the local red cross in Port Charlotte, then get a decent dinghy to learn on your own.

You may spend a great deal of time treading water in the beginning but some of the best sailors in the world got their start there.

Good luck,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 15:16   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

Rich,

Thank you for the advice and info. I will look into the Treasure Island Yacht club and also look for some cheap sailing lessons. I don't mind starting at the bottom, you have to start somewhere, and its all experience. I like the dinghy idea as well, I should be able to find something around here for a decent price.

Thanks again for the reply.

Mario
romra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 15:58   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Sorry but Treasure Island club is no more
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:34   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by romra View Post
I am looking to gain experience sailing and would be available to crew over the weekends as I work during the week. I do not have any experience but I am a quick learner and I am excited about any opportunities that would be available.

I am looking to eventually get my own sailboat and would like to gain some experience before I do so.

I live in Cape Coral Fl, but would be willing to travel if it is within reason.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
====

You might want to check with the Edison Sailing Center in Ft Myers:

Edison Sailing Center | Learn to Sail in Fort Myers, Fl

They are primarily youth oriented but I think if you volunteered to help out that you could probably get some boating time also, possibly for free.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46   #6

Boat: Catalina 375

Not sure of the distance for you however you might check out the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. I was there a few years ago when my son was racing Lasers. It seemed like a really good learning /racing club at the time.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:35   #7

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbeg View Post
Not sure of the distance for you however you might check out the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. I was there a few years ago when my son was racing Lasers. It seemed like a really good learning /racing club at the time.
====

It's still a very good racing/sailing club - lots of boats of different types and lots of events. The down side is that it's about a 90 minute drive from Cape Coral. My oldest son occasionally races there and knows a few people. I'd recommend that you start with Edison Sailing Center and learn a few of the basics first.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 18:13   #8

There is a very active sailing club in Cape Coral known as CMCS. They meet on the third Tuesday each month at the Cape Coral Yacht Club. You are welcome to come as a guest and see what we do. Starts at 6:30 pm. Check out cmcs-sail.org.
SailingMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:25   #9

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 1977
Send a message via Skype™ to jankosailor

Try The Punta Gorda Sailing Club. Much closer than Sarasota and quite active in racing season.
jankosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 21:58   #10

I'd grab a large coffee and go to the dinghy dock near Joe's Crab Shack W 1st St. Watch for a dinghy coming in with empty jugs or duffels. "I want to learn some sailing and I'll drive you to walmart in my car every other week" or similar barter will get you plenty of sailing.

And/or volunteer to support the Water Tribe's annual hoo hah when they pass by Ft Myers.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape coral, coral, crew