Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 19:39   #1

Sailing in SE Asia/Pacific

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this message today in order to get some information about how to enter the sailing world. I figured that this website might a really useful way to get knowledge about cruising. Here's my story and my motivations :

14 months ago I started a journey that saw me coming overland from my home country, France, to Singapore, where I just crossed the border a few days ago from Malaysia. After so many kilometers overland to reach the other side of the world, I now wish to avoid flying by any means and my dream is now to find a way to continue my journey without having to use a flight. Therefore the best idea that came to my mind is to find a boat able to cross the ocean.

And this is where I need some help from you. I figured that you might be aware of how I could continue my trip. I started to contact marinas in Singapore and Malaysia. I also went on some websites like findacrew or crewbay, but I believe it is going to be quite complicated. I would like to offer my services to sailors against a passage so I would be more than happy to get an unpaid position if it can help me to continue. I won't mind cleaning, scrubbing, cooking and taking night shift. I do not have any fixed destinations in mind, I would consider any opportunities if one arises. I think the most important for me is first to get more experience to make myself more valuable on a boat. I also know that there is many ferries connecting Singapore to Indonesia, but I'm also aware that there is no ferry connection to another continent such as Oceania or America. Even if I am in Singapore, I can go to Malaysia/Thailand pretty fast.

Do you guys have any recommendations, tips or anything that could lead me towards realising my dream ?

Thank you for taking time reading this.
Old 19-07-2016, 20:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Sailing in SE Asia/Pacific

Welcome to the forum. When considering moving in together with strangers into a small boat with less comforts and space and especially personal space than in an average home people usually would like to learn more about people before committing, and I believe you could expect more success by telling more about yourself. Good luck and bon voyage.
Old 19-07-2016, 23:37   #3

Re: Sailing in SE Asia/Pacific

Thank you really much for your reply. I do understand the importance of getting to know each other before going on board. So here's an introduction of who I am and what I've done previously to this journey :

As stated in my profile name my name is Maxime, I was born in France and lived there until I turned 20. At that age I realized how much travelling was attracting me and decided to make it my lifestyle. My native language is French, but people usually said that my English is not too bad for a French guy. I do speak a bit of Italian and Spanish. I am now 23, which might seem quite young to many sailors, but a short talk with me will reassure you about my maturity. Since I started to move around, I've got some experiences as an entertainer in a hotel in Spain (Mallorca) during 2 summer seasons, as well an experience in sales during my stay in Australia, which also allowed me to perfect my English. I worked also in a ski resort for a whole winter season in the kitchen, mostly washing dishes but occasionally helping to cook and some manual labor concerning the maintenance of the guesthouse. Other experiences include volunteering in a hostel for free accommodation in Hong Kong and Singapore, both jobs were focusing mostly on cleaning, changing bed sheets and registering incoming guests at night time. I also gave sparingly some french lessons in my travels.

I've been to around 50 countries, and now it's all clear to me that my biggest dream is to manage to go to all of them. However I do not want to rush to do it as quick as possible but rather taking my time, and I find sailing a much more attractive option than flying. I'm always in search of new challenges and explore new area that most of the people would not dare to do or to go. This is how I ended up being in Afghanistan for a week last year. I have a few nice stories to share, and I hope that a sailor might be willing to listen to these!

I usually do prefer to travel on my own, despite having a out-going personality, because it allows me to have a complete freedom and responsibility over my decisions, and when you are alone it makes it easier to meet many people, especially local. My point of view is I don't see the world as being a place full of strangers, but rather one full of friends that I have yet to meet. Despite this, recently I have been sharing my travel for the past 4 months in SE Asia (overland from Hong Kong to Singapore, through Yunnan, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar and Malaysia) with a girl I've met during my 3 months stay in Hong Kong. I did not mentioned her in my previous post because I do not want to involve her in this, simply because she doesn't know how to swim yet. The plan is to meet her again in Australia/New Zealand and continue our journey together.

Hope this message will give me more success in my quest, you are welcome to tell me if you think something might be missing.
I'm willing to give more in details if anyone interested send me a private message or an email at maxime_angelini@orange.fr

Tags
Asia, sail, sailing