Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2017, 06:57   #1

Pulling 4.108 From Morgan Out Island at Anchor

Hi, this forum has been very helpful to me in the past, so I thought I would ask for any advice you might have on removing a Perkins 4.108 from my 1978 Morgan Out Island where it sits at anchor in the Bahamas.
It has a Borg Warner Velvet Drive transmission. I am writing from WV and leave on Monday to attempt the removal. I would like to leave the transmission in place. The motor I am buying does not come with a replacement transmission.
Question 1. Can I get the motor off of the transmission without pulling the transmission up and out of the doghouse which is underneath the cockpit?
It might well be that the rear motor mounts are attached to the trans in which case I imagine it is not possible to just pull the diesel.

Thanks in advance.
PigZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:12   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Pulling 4.108 From Morgan Out Island at Anchor

If it were me, I’d pull both, rebuild the trans (if it hasn’t been done before) and dry fit to the new motor. Also a good time to put on a new age shaft couler for easier realignment with all that room to move down there. Just my thoughts good luck.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:24   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

The rear mounts are attached to the bell housing. If you can move the engine about 8" forward to clear the input shaft of the transmission, you're set.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:09   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

helpful hint--having done this a few times with formosa 41.... DO make sure the oil is gone from inside engine before lifting the engine out of the engine bays of the boat. we used overhead hatch for removal as it is my largest hatch, but long block would not pass thru so dismantled to short block for removal and reinstall.
spilled oil everywhere as we didnot know there was oil remaining in engine after previous owner blew the thing to smithereens.
i padded the area with triple plastic, thank heavens and my teak and holly sole is not oil stained.
goodluck. the task is not as hard as it seems from afar. i swarezes.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, morgan, morgan out island