Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2019, 06:36   #1

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Which charter company

Good morning! I am planning a bareboat charter in Croatia September of 2020. I have done seven charters with the moorings in the past and I've had a good experience. I am considering using kiriacoulis. When my wife and I were in Greece on The moorings boat, it was a very small fleet when compared to kiriacoulis. Also, kiriacoulis is much less expensive than the moorings. That said, a day lost on vacation due to mechanical failure is a large percentage of your vacation, and the frustration involved would easily negate any financial benefit. The times that we have had service interruptions on the moorings boats it was fixed within hours. When I read reviews of the other company, the complaints are all similar that the boats are maintained in a replace only when necessary model and has caused some issues for some of the reviewers. Does anyone have any real-world experience with kiriacoulis?

Thank you,
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 07:21   #2

Re: Which charter company

Hi

I have real world experience with yacht charter in Croatia and I would say if you want to have things run smoothly in Croatia use a Croatian Company. With Moorings you are paying for the Brand, lots of really nice well maintained yachts available from the locals at substantially less. I personally wouldn't use a Greek company in Croatia. September is the best month, wise choice. Enjoy!
BonCapitaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 07:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonCapitaine View Post
Hi

I have real world experience with yacht charter in Croatia and I would say if you want to have things run smoothly in Croatia use a Croatian Company. With Moorings you are paying for the Brand, lots of really nice well maintained yachts available from the locals at substantially less. I personally wouldn't use a Greek company in Croatia. September is the best month, wise choice. Enjoy!
Thank you!!! I also know of a company called Tubber. I am just looking at them now.
Old 17-10-2019, 07:51   #4

I can recommend Croatia Yacht Club (Swedish company with base in Trogir) and also had a good experience with Dream Yacht in Sibenik. Won a charter holiday with the Moorings out of Agana (Trogir) and can't fault them but they are very expensive. We've also used Ultra from Dubrovnik and not a bad experience but felt the boat and equipment wasn't at the same standard of others.

Another plug for local companies though, we are midway through buying a 38ft boat with a small family run charter co just south of Split. Their boats are impeccably maintained and upgraded. So much so we will be leaving her with the charter operator for a season or two which was never our plan as we didn't believe charter companies maintained boats well enough for us to do it to our own!

The owner runs only about 7 boats and most charterers get boarded and away early plus he has a lot of repeat customers because he is fair and honest as well as has great boats. Set up on his own after working for big companies for over 10 years and hating how they treated boats/owners and charterers. Website is being updated ready for 2020 but if you want any details of his company, let me know.

Importantly, think about where you want to charter from as that will narrow the options. I love all of Croatia but the experience and type of sailing varies across the Pula/Zadar/Sibenik/Spllit/Dubrovnik areas!!
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 08:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasailor View Post
I can recommend Croatia Yacht Club (Swedish company with base in Trogir) and also had a good experience with Dream Yacht in Sibenik. Won a charter holiday with the Moorings out of Agana (Trogir) and can't fault them but they are very expensive. We've also used Ultra from Dubrovnik and not a bad experience but felt the boat and equipment wasn't at the same standard of others.

Another plug for local companies though, we are midway through buying a 38ft boat with a small family run charter co just south of Split. Their boats are impeccably maintained and upgraded. So much so we will be leaving her with the charter operator for a season or two which was never our plan as we didn't believe charter companies maintained boats well enough for us to do it to our own!

The owner runs only about 7 boats and most charterers get boarded and away early plus he has a lot of repeat customers because he is fair and honest as well as has great boats. Set up on his own after working for big companies for over 10 years and hating how they treated boats/owners and charterers. Website is being updated ready for 2020 but if you want any details of his company, let me know.

Importantly, think about where you want to charter from as that will narrow the options. I love all of Croatia but the experience and type of sailing varies across the Pula/Zadar/Sibenik/Spllit/Dubrovnik areas!!
Thank you for your reply! I I'm planning on leaving split and sailing a one-way charter to Dubrovnik over 14 days. So far, I am underwhelmed by the response of moorings. Based on poor reviews and the recommendation above, I will not be using kiriacoulis. So, I am in the market for a local charter company. I have contacted tubber and they seemed very friendly and knowledgeable. I would be interested in the person you are recommending, as well.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 17-10-2019, 08:49   #6

Happy to share details but they're not a big enough operation to support one way - you either need a company that has bases in both or would need a skipper to return the boat (they will all charge a one way fee usually though).

Some companies offer one-way more routinely for a fee (usually because they have multiple bases). I know Waypoint.hr do a lot of one way, as would Ultra. Maybe Dalmatia Charter.

FYI, when you say "leaving Split", Trogir is close (and closer to the airport) and I personally prefer it out of the two so do consider that as your departure marina too!
Old 17-10-2019, 11:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasailor View Post
Happy to share details but they're not a big enough operation to support one way - you either need a company that has bases in both or would need a skipper to return the boat (they will all charge a one way fee usually though).

Some companies offer one-way more routinely for a fee (usually because they have multiple bases). I know Waypoint.hr do a lot of one way, as would Ultra. Maybe Dalmatia Charter.

FYI, when you say "leaving Split", Trogir is close (and closer to the airport) and I personally prefer it out of the two so do consider that as your departure marina too!
Bellasailor,

Thank you again! I only know the region from chart study, so any knowledge you impart I am thankful for. I use Split more to describe the approximate area I want to depart from, and I want to visit Split. Looking at the area trogir and split are very close. I intend to visit Split, Brac, Hvar, vis, Vela Luka, Korkula town, and then looking for a layover between Korkula town and Dubrovnik. I figured that would be on Miljet. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 18-10-2019, 03:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Bellasailor,

Thank you again! I only know the region from chart study, so any knowledge you impart I am thankful for. I use Split more to describe the approximate area I want to depart from, and I want to visit Split. Looking at the area trogir and split are very close. I intend to visit Split, Brac, Hvar, vis, Vela Luka, Korkula town, and then looking for a layover between Korkula town and Dubrovnik. I figured that would be on Miljet. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I'd say you have all the key places covered. If you've been to Greece you will be familiar with the med mooring in general terms but for docks Croatia uses lazy lines/slime lines more than anchoring out and reversing up. Depending how cost sensitive your trip is, any buoy/dock/marina in Croatia is likely to be more expensive than you are used to in Greece but there is of course anchoring for free (subject to not being in an area with a concession/buoy field). If you are eating out, a lot of restaurants have docks and buoys that are free in return for your patronage.

I would also consider Solta and Lastovo in your itinerary as some options. Don't miss Mljet; there is the national park and lakes for which you'd want to stay in Polace or Pomena but I also highly recommend a stop in Okuklje and visit Konoba Maestral. Sipan (particularly Sipanska Luka) is worth a stop too).

Other suggestions very much depend on what mix you want of towns/architecture/civilisation/party vs quiet bays, nature etc!

Unless you charter a boat with a watermaker (less commonly available in the med than Caribbean) you'll need at the very least to stop for water somewhere and may want to dock and use marina facilities at some point on the trip.

If possible, avoid refuelling in a charter base on a Friday afternoon in peak season; it will be very hectic to say the least!If you are passing (or on) Mljet on the last day and heading straight into Dubrovnik from there, as long as you fill the tank to the brim you'd be fine to fill up at the small berth in Luka Sobra on the Northern coast of Mljet.
Old 18-10-2019, 05:13   #9

Boat: Discovery 50

We chartered with a Croatian company called More Charter who were decent. We took delivery of the boat in Primosten (near Trogir) and sailed Trogir / Split / Hvar / Korcula / Mijet / Dubrovnik - extra cost for a 52ft Cat for one way trip was €750. We had an awesome time and highly recommended
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 07:21   #10

Bellasailor,

Thank you so much for those recommendations!! I will adjust my itinerary. I will mostly stay on the quay when possible in the cities. We have some nonsailors on board and want them to be able to come and go easily. We like to mix in mooring ball/anchoring as well, as in the park on Miljet, and possibly in Vis. I really appreciate your input.

Hartings, thanks for the charter company lead.

Ben
Old 18-10-2019, 07:24   #11

Best part about using a charter agent is they have knowledge of all the companies--their bases, their boats, and their customer reviews. They can also help compare apples to apples as the European companies charge quite differently than Caribbean ones where a more inclusive approach is taken. For example in the Med, some companies charge for outboard, others don't; some have cockpit cushions as an option, others have it as mandatory extra, and others don't mention it. With a hard and fast season, definitely look for a newer boat. I'd also advise against a one day, particularly with 7 days. Split area is great, and plenty plenty to see and do in 7 days. NauticEd can advise as to licensing requirements as well as provide charter agency services.
Imkalaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 07:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Bellasailor,

Thank you so much for those recommendations!! I will adjust my itinerary. I will mostly stay on the quay when possible in the cities. We have some nonsailors on board and want them to be able to come and go easily. We like to mix in mooring ball/anchoring as well, as in the park on Miljet, and possibly in Vis. I really appreciate your input.

Hartings, thanks for the charter company lead.

Ben
Pleasure - be aware marina charges in Croatia are very hefty
Old 18-10-2019, 07:31   #13

I have heard. And....I'll be on a cat. May be on a mooring ball anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Pleasure - be aware marina charges in Croatia are very hefty
Old 18-10-2019, 07:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imkalaur View Post
Best part about using a charter agent is they have knowledge of all the companies--their bases, their boats, and their customer reviews. They can also help compare apples to apples as the European companies charge quite differently than Caribbean ones where a more inclusive approach is taken. For example in the Med, some companies charge for outboard, others don't; some have cockpit cushions as an option, others have it as mandatory extra, and others don't mention it. With a hard and fast season, definitely look for a newer boat. I'd also advise against a one day, particularly with 7 days. Split area is great, and plenty plenty to see and do in 7 days. NauticEd can advise as to licensing requirements as well as provide charter agency services.
I got my ICC through nautic Ed. Great idea using them as charter agent!
Old 18-10-2019, 07:39   #15

As someone else commented most cost effective way of mooring is to pick up a ball belonging to a restaurant - so long as you use the restaurant there will be no charge for the mooring. On Hvar would highly recommend Konoba Arsenol which is a few miles West of Hvar Town. Lovely bay and restaurant and cheap and quick taxi access into the beautiful and very lively town. If you opt for the marina on the Pakleni (?) Islands it is very expensive (like €150 per night for a 50ft Cat) and an inconvenient water taxi ride to town (and stops at 11pm I think)

Tags
charter