Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 23:17   #1

Sailing in the philippines

Dear Community

I am new on this forum and also relatively new to sailing. Soon I am going to start my first sailing adventure in the philippines. I am looking for contact, preferably by email, to sailors that are experienced in sailing in the philippines, so that they could share some experience with me and I might get rid of some of my doubts. Is there anybody out there who is willing to help me out? Please contact me on hakkapelite@gmail.com.

Kind Regards

Daniel
freemind21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Sailing in the philippines

Daniel hi and welcome to CF.

It might be better if any replies are posted on the forum so that everyone can benefit from the knowledge.

Regards Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 21:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Daniel hi and welcome to CF.

It might be better if any replies are posted on the forum so that everyone can benefit from the knowledge.

Regards Pete
Agree - and also suggest you remove your email but use PM instead. Spam crawlers would soon find it and your inbox will be flooded.
DITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 23:34   #4

Boat: CT-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind21 View Post
Dear Community

I am new on this forum and also relatively new to sailing. Soon I am going to start my first sailing adventure in the philippines. I am looking for contact, preferably by email, to sailors that are experienced in sailing in the philippines, so that they could share some experience with me and I might get rid of some of my doubts. Is there anybody out there who is willing to help me out? Please contact me on hakkapelite@gmail.com.

Kind Regards

Daniel

What info are you looking for? What cruising area in the Philippines ?
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 23:58   #5

A bit of information here but it seems not updated for a while:

RIBnet Forums - Powered by vBulletin
DITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:46   #6

Well, my plan is to buy a simple filippino boat, like the ones they use for fishing here, just a small one maeby 8 meters of length and convert it into a sailing boat by myself. Ive got the knowledge to do this. I will not put engine just only sailing and i will have some rudders too. I will just sail along the coast and maeby from one island to the other.

My concern though is if they are just going to let me sail peacefully with a filippino boat. Ive been to the philippines quite some time already and i realized that most people and especialy the officials are friendly to foreigners as long as they see them as a "normal" tourist like going to resorts in groups, take pictures and go home again after 3 days, but as soon as I do something extraordinary they suddenly become distrustful and start being anoying. They even start speculating i might be a terrorist or whatever. I just dont want to get in trouble with coastguard etc. Does everyone know if there is a many coastguard patrols there and if they might get me in trouble?
Old 06-03-2018, 06:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Daniel.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 12:41   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Well, my plan is to buy a simple filippino boat, like the ones they use for fishing here, just a small one maeby 8 meters of length and convert it into a sailing boat by myself. Ive got the knowledge to do this. I will not put engine just only sailing and i will have some rudders too. I will just sail along the coast and maeby from one island to the other.

My concern though is if they are just going to let me sail peacefully with a filippino boat. Ive been to the philippines quite some time already and i realized that most people and especialy the officials are friendly to foreigners as long as they see them as a "normal" tourist like going to resorts in groups, take pictures and go home again after 3 days, but as soon as I do something extraordinary they suddenly become distrustful and start being anoying. They even start speculating i might be a terrorist or whatever. I just dont want to get in trouble with coastguard etc. Does everyone know if there is a many coastguard patrols there and if they might get me in trouble?
The traditional small Filipino sailing vessel is called the Paraw. I suggest going to Panay island near Borocay where you can find dozens of them and simply ask if you can rent or buy one. Don't go to Borocay itself. It is the small town next to Borocay called Caticlan. Ithink they would be happy to build you one. They use bamboo poles and simply sheeting for the sails.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraw_Regatta_Festival
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 22:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The traditional small Filipino sailing vessel is called the Paraw. I suggest going to Panay island near Borocay where you can find dozens of them and simply ask if you can rent or buy one. Don't go to Borocay itself. It is the small town next to Borocay called Caticlan. Ithink they would be happy to build you one. They use bamboo poles and simply sheeting for the sails.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraw_Regatta_Festival
Hello pbmaise

Thanks for that info, it looks interesting. Im gonna build my own boat though. My plans are different from the one on the image. Im gonna build a small house on the boat too and im gonna have 2 mast and 3 sails. Also if I as a foreigner buy a boat near the biggest tourist destination of the philippines, i doubt its gonna be a good price for me. I wonder though how they make the keel for their vessels. Do you have any information on that?

Boatbuilders here are normaly not used to make keelboats so i think im just gonna have to make a keel of stainless steel and screw it onto the boat.
Old 19-03-2018, 22:32   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Hello pbmaise

Thanks for that info, it looks interesting. Im gonna build my own boat though. My plans are different from the one on the image. Im gonna build a small house on the boat too and im gonna have 2 mast and 3 sails. Also if I as a foreigner buy a boat near the biggest tourist destination of the philippines, i doubt its gonna be a good price for me. I wonder though how they make the keel for their vessels. Do you have any information on that?

Boatbuilders here are normaly not used to make keelboats so i think im just gonna have to make a keel of stainless steel and screw it onto the boat.
Good luck with your "Adventures in Paradise' mate. We spend a lot of time there each year specially in Cebu and nearby islands. Suggest you acquaint yourself of the local way of things and find out about how to conduct yourself there because it certainly 'aint Kansas! But get it right and you should have no problems, it is a fantastic place and friendly people. There are some forums specific to the Phils like the one in Cebu that have a wealth of knowledge about the country, the people and what to do and not do. But you will have get used to the kids saying 'hey Joe' with a big grin!

Cheers, OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 22:38   #11

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Hello pbmaise

Why would it have a keel?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 23:53   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

The small local paraw rigs do not have a keel. They bring them up on the beach each night. I am guessing you intend to build with fiberglass coated plywood if you intend to build something that will remain in the water. Just be aware there is some very cheap quality plywood here that is supposedly "marine grade". Sounds to me like you actually have a rather good budget if you intend to build a keel out of stainless steel. There are many many small yachts sitting in Negros that can be had for very cheap. One of these would get you going quicker than building. There is also another forum called Pinoy Boat which focuses on building boats in the Philippines. See

pinoyboats.org/
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 01:37   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The small local paraw rigs do not have a keel. They bring them up on the beach each night. I am guessing you intend to build with fiberglass coated plywood if you intend to build something that will remain in the water. Just be aware there is some very cheap quality plywood here that is supposedly "marine grade". Sounds to me like you actually have a rather good budget if you intend to build a keel out of stainless steel. There are many many small yachts sitting in Negros that can be had for very cheap. One of these would get you going quicker than building. There is also another forum called Pinoy Boat which focuses on building boats in the Philippines. See

pinoyboats.org/
Hi Daniel, Above is some very good advice. Doing anything in the Phils 'our way' instead of their way will end in grief! Believe me, been there done that.
Suggest you go and stay awhile, chill out and listen to the locals and yes buying a local boat will be much easier and give you time to 'de-westernize!' Besides if you wait around and don't look too much like a rich 'Kano', you will find a bargain.

Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 05:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Why would it have a keel?
For upwind ability?

I wonder if the Paraw has any upwind ability if it has no keel. Ive been to the philippines quite a while and i have already a small banka of 3m length with a sail but no keel and when i try to sail close hauled i just end up moving back and forward on the same line with little to no progress towards the target.
Old 22-03-2018, 15:15   #15

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
For upwind ability?

I wonder if the Paraw has any upwind ability if it has no keel. Ive been to the philippines quite a while and i have already a small banka of 3m length with a sail but no keel and when i try to sail close hauled i just end up moving back and forward on the same line with little to no progress towards the target.
Yeah well its not a keel you are after its boards be it lee or dagger.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines, sail, sailing