Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 11:21   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler 370 Outrage
Boating from Florida to Puerto Rico in my Center Console

I recently purchased a 37' Boston Whaler - Center Console and I ultimately need to get it down to Puerto Rico which is where I live. I was considering driving it from the Miami area down to Puerto Rico by going down through the Bahamas through Exumas down to Turks and Caicos then over to the Dominican then to PR. From looking at the charts it looks like most of the stretches in between Marinas are around 100 miles or less which seems very doable.

My boat has a range of approx 400 miles and has recently been serviced.

Any advise, comments, or ideas on whether this is a safe trip and any tips would be greatly appreciated.
seaboundinpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 16:39   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Boating from Florida to Puerto Rico in my Center Console

Engine configuration?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, seaboundinpr.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:46   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Whoa.. I wouldn't think that would be a good idea.. That is called "The Thorny Path" for a reason. There is some really nasty stretches of water along that trip. Ask me how I know, I did it last year!

Personally I would never take that type of boat on that trip.. I would pay to have it shipped!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have made the trip to PR and the Virgin Islands a few times by sail so know that route well.

However I have also owned several power boats including 25' twin I/O center console and a 36' twin diesel cruiser and I would make that trip in a minute in either of those and certainly a 37' Whaler I assume the boat has twins of some kind for power).

Pick the season and pick the weather and you're fine. Depending on the time of year you might have to sit somewhere for a few days or even a couple of weeks waiting for a calm day or two for the next leap. I know this will raise howls from the hurricane people but summer would be the best time for this trip. Trade winds tend to be much calmer and you might even find a few windless days.

It has been many years since I cruised the far south Bahamas so this may be out of date info. Unless things have changed I don't know of any reliable fuel stops between Clarence Town Long Island and the T&C so that stretch and the one from T&C to the DR are a bit longer than 100 nm but if you have a reliable range of 400 nm you should be good. I would check the fuel consumption in rough, choppy headwinds as those conditions can significantly impact your mpg compared to calmer conditions.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:34   #6

Obviously, at each leg that exposes you to ocean swells, you will have to be very careful to pick the right weather window for crossing. But that is a boat that I am sure goes quite fast, especially compared to the kinds of boats that most cruisers use. That means that you don't need several days of good wind and waves to get across, only several hours.

I tend to be kind of cautious, but in a sound boat with a well-maintained engine, I see no reason why it couldn't be done.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:59   #7

Boat: Currently in between

That Whaler is a big boat! I have a close friend that has one, except his is a walkaround cuddy, and he runs 300 mile roundtrips in the GOM from/to Clearwater area all the time. Twin 300's on a very solid hull.

Like others said pick weather windows carefully. Like others haven't said, I'm jealous!
Old 08-05-2017, 10:14   #8

Boat: Scout 30

Let's see, unsinkable Whaler with 3 outboards. I'd take that boat just about anywhere within range. I'd be most concerned about taking on bad fuel. I'd want a high volume electric fuel pump in front of your water separators kind of like a fuel polishing system for diesels. You might need some way to get a lot of water out of the fuel. And bring along a bunch of spare filters.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:25   #9

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Agree with scout30 - big, top of the line center console, triple outboard power. Typically, that boat can go most places. I would think that boat also cruises easily at 35kts. That would make 100 - 150 mile jaunts in 3 - 5 hours.

Enjoy the trip.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:26   #10

Yep, fuel stops need to be considered, but heck, you can make all those trips in daylight with that boat.
Fl to Nassau
Nassau to Georgetown
Georgetown to Turks for fuel
Turks to DR-Luperon
Luperon to Samana (maybe to PR?)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:49   #11

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Looks like I was wrong.. I know nothing of power boats and just judged her by her looks..

Looks like the more experienced think you won't have any problems..

I would concur with the statements about fuel. Along that exact route, we have gotten watered petrol twice. A baha filter could offer some protection to that, but would sure slow down your fill ups.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:00   #12

All about weather, so if you have patience not a bad run.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:43   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboundinpr View Post
I recently purchased a 37' Boston Whaler - Center Console and I ultimately need to get it down to Puerto Rico which is where I live. I was considering driving it from the Miami area down to Puerto Rico by going down through the Bahamas through Exumas down to Turks and Caicos then over to the Dominican then to PR. From looking at the charts it looks like most of the stretches in between Marinas are around 100 miles or less which seems very doable.

My boat has a range of approx 400 miles and has recently been serviced.

Any advise, comments, or ideas on whether this is a safe trip and any tips would be greatly appreciated.
If that is a 370 Outrage, that is a very nice boat!

Bon voyage!

For those who have not seen one, here is a good video review of that model. According to this review video, with three 300hp engines it has a optimum cruising speed of 28 knots and a range of 334 nm at that speed.

https://youtu.be/dLMvjQ_CejM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3679.JPG
Views:	597
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	147307  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 13:19   #14

I would load that baby up with extra fuel,like as much as I can conveniently carry with extra cans. And extra fuel and maybe even a little extra water. Yeah I did I mention fuel, and maybe double extra water...point is I bet you use more fuel than you expect & be prepared, if in the summer like was suggested make sure you got plenty of sun protection!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 15:55   #15

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Fuel burn on that big puppy center console has to be less then 1 nm to a gal. I will be very interested in hearing about your trip recap.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, florida, Puerto Rico