Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 14:46   #1

Boat: Genzel Phantom 28
Repairing/restoring old electronics

Now I'm going the electronics on my new/old boat, and I'm thinking of trying to fix some of the parts, for the practise and learning experience. If something breaks I can replace it, and I'm replacing the broken VHF set directly because I won't play with safety. Sorry if this has been covered before, I did search first.

There's a wind speed gauge, an Anemo 7 older than me, which doesn't appear to be responding to inputs due to high resistance. First I'll clean the terminals (sandpaper, acetone, WD40?), any tips on what to do next - worth disassembling it completely? Any better chemicals or approach I should use to cleaning the electronics?

There's a Clipper Depth system, where the instruments seem fine but the transducer's end is covered by what looks like old cured epoxy. I think the previous owner pried it off the fiberglass and hung it on a peg in the engine bay because he felt he didn't need it - no bottom in the Adriatic when the boat draws 1.16m What's a good way to get the epoxy off without damaging the transducer, is an acetone bath followed by a spell on a hotplate too aggressive?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	188011   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	188012  

Toffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 16:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Repairing/restoring old electronics

Grind the epoxy flat, it will shoot through it easily, I’d bet that was what was done, epoxied to the hull on the inside of course, cause an xducer will shoot thru a non cored hull very well.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics