Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 09:06   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
Cal Sailboat owners _ UNITE!

Hey there Guys/Gals,

I had pm'ed a fellow Cf'er to ask some questions about their Cal sailboat as I too am in process of redoing pretty much everything on my boat. He had some really awesome things he has done and will be doing to his boat and I got a few good ideas. I too have done a bit since getting my Cal 2-27 and will hopefully have most major things finished up in the next couple of months. Let's talk about and share improvements or refurbishings that we have or will do to our boats.

I envision this as a brainstorming thread!
Old 19-02-2013, 09:09   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Cal Sailboat owners _ UNITE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Hey there Guys/Gals,

I had pm'ed a fellow Cf'er to ask some questions about their Cal sailboat as I too am in process of redoing pretty much everything on my boat. He had some really awesome things he has done and will be doing to his boat and I got a few good ideas. I too have done a bit since getting my Cal 2-27 and will hopefully have most major things finished up in the next couple of months. Let's talk about and share improvements or refurbishings that we have or will do to our boats.

Try joining Cal_boats yahoo group.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:11   #3

Boat: Cal 2-27

I am a member of that group. The only thing with yahoo groups is that they are set up like craigslist. I can't stand the setup.

Would be nice if Cal owners had a thread like the trimaran searunner thread. The member that shared thoughts with me on pm was doing some really cool things to his Cal and I figured we would all be able to talk about issues, strong points and improvements.

For instance, I'm getting rid of my water tank under the v-birth, adding a built in there and also where the engine used to be, so 2 tanks in total. Also, redoing and when I say redoing the galley, I'm talking about taking it out from where it is and putting it on the starboard side of the boat.
Old 20-02-2013, 08:43   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

There's another on-line sailing forum that specializes in brand-specific forums, but they tend to end up with hugely different conversations than we have here on Cruisers' Forums. I was active on that forum years ago, but the conversations tended to focus around questions like, "Does anyone know where I can get a replacement water tank for the v-berth of my Cal 2-27?

I'd hate to see us re-invent that wheel.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:42   #5

Boat: Hunter 27
I have a Cal 20 that needs to be redone inside. I want to set it up to cruise on the weekends.
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:27   #6

Boat: 1974 Cal T/4

I'm setting my Cal T/4 up to sail from Boston to Bradenton Florida leaving in about a week. I would love to hear and see your other ideas about how you have refurbished, repaired, updated your Cal sailboats. I am going to be making videos, and a blog that will be posted for my long trip.
ForeverSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:42   #7

Boat: Cal 34-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
There's another on-line sailing forum that specializes in brand-specific forums, but they tend to end up with hugely different conversations than we have here on Cruisers' Forums. I was active on that forum years ago, but the conversations tended to focus around questions like, "Does anyone know where I can get a replacement water tank for the v-berth of my Cal 2-27?

I'd hate to see us re-invent that wheel.
I need a forum like that. the URL is something like https://forums.sailboatowners.com/forums/ but I find the threads difficult to follow.

I REALLY LIKE my Freedom BB https://www.freedomyachts.org/ But I am selling my Freedom and am back into a Cal.

I just want there to be critical mass and this forum is always lively.
Chad Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:20   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rider View Post
I need a forum like that. the URL is something like https://forums.sailboatowners.com/forums/ but I find the threads difficult to follow.

I REALLY LIKE my Freedom BB https://www.freedomyachts.org/ But I am selling my Freedom and am back into a Cal.

I just want there to be critical mass and this forum is always lively.
Welcome aboard Chad! This thread will likely bring in Cal owners. You might also consider setting a social group here for Cal boat owners. You can find them under the "Community" drop-down menu.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 13:55   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Hey there Guys/Gals,

Welcome.
A person after my own heart.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 18:51   #10

My first boat was a 1978 CAL 25 with tiller steering, , think I was 22 just over 30 years ago. Me and my friends had a blast on that little boat spent summers cruising Newport, Block and rest of Narragansett bay. She was a great boat and simple to maintain.
windward34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:27   #11

Boat: 1978 Cal 2-27

I have a 1978 Cal 2-27 in Channel Islands Harbor (near Ventura, California) that still needs lots of work, but is getting better gradually. I mostly sail singlehanded, so I'm very interested in helpful sailing hints as well as maintenance/repair info. Replacing mast lights and improving my cockpit drains are upcoming projects.

Rick M.
rickmartyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 13:44   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

I got my first Cal 25 in the late 60's. Won the Cal 25 National Championship in 1973. 1982 I bought Jack Jensen's Cal 46 SATORI which I still have, but due to my age and health challenges she is for sale. We retired and sailed away from Long Beach, CA in 1988, cruised, and ended up on Bayou Chico, Pensacola,FL Lived aboard and cruised 14 years. It was better than we had dreamed!

Anyone else had a Cal boat over 60 years?

Tom & Bobbie Vandiver
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 14:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcal46skipper View Post
I got my first Cal 25 in the late 60's. Won the Cal 25 National Championship in 1973. 1982 I bought Jack Jensen's Cal 46 SATORI which I still have, but due to my age and health challenges she is for sale. We retired and sailed away from Long Beach, CA in 1988, cruised, and ended up on Bayou Chico, Pensacola,FL Lived aboard and cruised 14 years. It was better than we had dreamed!

Anyone else had a Cal boat over 60 years?

Tom & Bobbie Vandiver

Tom, I suspect you have the record for Cal boat ownership!

I started sailing Cal 25s in the mid 70s out of Dana Point, CA when a friend of mine had one. We had a pretty good fleet going back then, even did the Newport to Ensenada race a time or two. Years later in Tidewater VA I bought a Cal 39 MKII and have had it for over 20 years.

They weren’t what I would call Cadillac’s, but there are still plenty of them out there going strong.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 13:43   #14

I just purchased a 1980 Cal 39! I have been sailing her nonstop for several months now. I love her on the SF Bay! She comes alive and loves 20 knots plus. What a wonderful sailing machine. I can’t stop loving her! I researched boats for many years ( after selling my Morgan 382). What a great purchase!
memmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 17:54   #15

Boat: EDELCAT33

I had a 1979 CAL39MKll “shallow draft” Jensen design, it was such a sweet boat to sail. Sold it and two months later the owner lost it in one of the many small Hurricanes we get in Miami. I heard it sank in front of Ramsom Everglades or Carrollton. I heard they were going to rebuilt her. That was 5 years ago.
Any who love the Jensen designed Cals
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, sailboat