Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 19:43   #1

Safety of an older Gemini cat

Im considering purchasing a Gemini 3000... with intentions of summer trips in the bahamas exumas ...i doubt I would ever go further...maybe turks caicos?? But prob just the exumas
I currently own a macgregor 26x and it's been a great boat for what it is I take it regularly to the keys . Me and my 2 kids camp out on it and sail out to the reefs and it's been a lot of fun for me and my kids and given us many great memories however each year I dream of the exumas..... while I've read many accounts of other macgregors making it over there it makes me weary despite having a drogue oversized Mantus and tons of preparations.....the idea of taking such a small boat to the exumas makes me nervous so it got me looking at other boats.....and I stumbled upon a Gemini 3000 fairly cheap that seems in good shape but to read up on the Gemini it by some it makes it sound just as sketchy light and unsuitable of sailing outside of a bathtub on a perfect day as the masses would say my macgregor is...... I'm accustomed to reading the many armchair captains talk about what a macgregor isn't capable of doing and have now realized 90% of it was b.s. having sailed my own boat and been caught in squalls numerous times...... so I can't help but wonder if this is the same type of misinformation spread about Gemini as my macgregor and is it considerably "more suitable" than what I have or should i just save my money and take the boat I already have since they both are death traps?????
Whgoffrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:58   #2

Boat: 1996 hunter 295
Re: Safety of an older Gemini cat

I just bought a 30 year old Gemini 3000, hull number 201 made in July 1987. I had the same questions as you. I had the boat surveyed it passed with flying colors. I DO NOT plan on taking it off shore, although some have, this model is NOT blue water capable. So far I'm very happy with it. After having 5 mono hulls from 25 to 37 ft. I'm ok with a 30 ft boat that has lots of room, I like the outboard, very quiet, powerful, and easy to service or replace.
sailaketch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, safety