Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2016, 14:00   #1

Rerigging a Gemini

Hi,

I'm looking into purchasing a cheap Gemini as a way to get into my first cruising sailboat. The vessel I'm looking at is a 1991 3200, and has had the mast removed, and has been used as a power cat most recently. The owner has the boom and sails, but does not have the mast. I have not yet received details on what, if any, of the rest of the rigging he still has. The current owner is the second owner, and says that the first owner took very good care of her, but removed the mast when he got older and did not want to sail.

I am only interested in purchasing if the boat can be restored back to proper sailing order. So my first question is, assuming the rest of the boat is in good condition, is it worth the cost, work, and time to re-rig this boat? Are there potential mechanical problems (with the hull, daggerboards, leaking windows etc) that make re-rigging such an early model Gemini too risky?

How much would it cost to re-mast and re-rig this boat? Let's assume I need to purchase a mast, all new standing rigging, and potentially running rigging as well. I'd also need to hire a rigger, as I don't have the experience to do it all myself. The boat is located in Florida, USA.

How long and how complex is such a job? How difficult is it to locate a mast for this boat? Can I just hire a rigger to take care of the work, or will I need to dive in and do a substantial amount of work and research myself? How long would this work take? Days? Weeks? Are riggers typically backed up with work?

If it's not possible to quote a price range, how would I go about figuring this out? Can any rigger just give me a price quote? Or will I need to track down a mast myself first?
occamsquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 16:01   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: rerigging a gemini

Figure on $30-40,000 for a new rig. Good riggers are backed up with work. If you start now, you will be lucky to have the mast in by the end of the year.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 16:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

My guess is that you are looking at $25,000 for the replacemnt mast. Plus another $5,000 for the rigging, add in new sails, and I am guessing you are in the $30-35k range.

The work itself really isn't that difficult, probably a day to prep, half a day to step the mast, and another half day to tune it.

You can try looking for a used mast, but you need to get something at least close to the same stiffness, which means most monohull masts won't work.

Edit: contact Gemini and see if they happen to have an old mast that was never used, or a modern one that would work. They may have a spare floating around the shop that's never got installed and let it go for a song.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 16:18   #4

Boat: Sabre 38

That is a huge project indeed. From the rough calculations in my head, the above sounds right. $7k for a used mast, $3k for standing rigging, $5k for your cheaper sails, and $5k on all the running rigging. That is just parts and DIY to the max. Double that cost for the progressional install.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:08   #5

Thanks to everyone who replied for the info!

It looks like I'll have to pass on this one. I'd be dumping $50K-$70K (after re-rigging it) into a boat that would sill not be equipped with the necessary electronics (which it does not come with), not to mention the extras I'd like to have, like a water maker, and solar power. My gut says I could do it on the cheaper side if I take my time and do the research and really work at it. But I'd rather spend that time and energy becoming a better sailor, not to mention dealing with all the other maintenance tasks that will come with boat ownership.

The search continues... Other than craigslist and yachtworld, are there other good places I should be watching?
Old 15-09-2016, 05:10   #6

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

You don't need a new rig, its not a new boat. Also not a particularly big job if you have the info. While its true that a cat has a higher righting arm than a similar sized mono many monos have every bit as heavy a mast section, there are only so many mast extrusions available and lots of boats share the same sections. I have a used mast from a Macgregor 36 cat which would probably be suitable with some modification, it is 6ft taller than the 3200s and single spreader. The boat burned up in storage warehouse fire but the mast was at another location. I also have a nice set of airfoil spreaders and every measurement required to rig it for a Gem 3200 which is what I was going to do until I happened on a 3200 rig complete with sails, furler, boom and even chainplates as I am in the process of rigging a gemini 3000 with a 3200 rig. I could rig this mast as a double spreader ready to stand on a 3200 if you were interested. The mac 36 and Gem 3200 have similar righting arms as the Mac is lighter but much wider than the gem. PM me if you have any interest.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 05:57   #7

What is the price of the boat?

A 3200 with mast and sails already installed is only going to run $30-40k. If you are going to dump $20k in new mast and sails, you need to get this one at a heck of a bargain.

If you found a used mast and sails for cheap (as in a couple grand for both), it might be a reasonable project if the boat is only around maybe $10-15k. Having done the Great Loop with a 3400 which involves taking the mast down and putting it back up a few times, it's really not that hard. Only thing you really need a rigger for is to make the new stays (even that could be DIY). Of course that assumes, they didn't pull the mast due to structural issues.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 06:04   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I can help you out with this for way less than these numbers, assuming you are good with a used mast. PM me if you buy the boat.
Old 15-09-2016, 19:43   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I saw someone that successfully used a street light pole for a mast and set it up as a gaff rig - sailed it successfully all around the caribbean. Not that I advocate it but it would be a way to get that boat up and running quickly for cheap. Especially if you are just using it for coastal/bay cruising.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:08   #10

The owner is listing the boat for $30k, which, with no nav electronics and no extras, is overpriced IMO.

Quote:
A 3200 with mast and sails already installed is only going to run $30-40k
I've been researching and poking around the listings for a couple years now and I've never seen a 3200 (or 3000) listed for less than about $55k, without having some major problem. Perhaps you're right, and they only appraise at around $30-$40k, but I've never seen one listed that low. (If anyone has concrete data on what a reasonably healthy 3200 appraises at these days, I'd love to see it!) That being said, I do believe the vessel in question is overpriced, since it has no rig and comes with no extras.

Quote:
If you found a used mast and sails for cheap (as in a couple grand for both), it might be a reasonable project if the boat is only around maybe $10-15k.
The question is how to find such a deal? And how easy it is to find such a deal?

Thanks to everyone who replied offering help. I've decided I wont let the idea go quite yet, and so I'll continue to look into whether it's reasonably possible. I'll PM those who offered some solutions.
Old 16-09-2016, 08:22   #11

Quote:
I saw someone that successfully used a street light pole for a mast and set it up as a gaff rig - sailed it successfully all around the caribbean.
It's an interesting idea, and I'm sure someone with more experience could save money and go a route like that. But as a relative newbie, I'd want to stay closer to factory rig.
Old 16-09-2016, 08:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by occamsquattro View Post
The owner is listing the boat for $30k, which, with no nav electronics and no extras, is overpriced IMO.

I've been researching and poking around the listings for a couple years now and I've never seen a 3200 (or 3000) listed for less than about $55k, without having some major problem. Perhaps you're right, and they only appraise at around $30-$40k, but I've never seen one listed that low. (If anyone has concrete data on what a reasonably healthy 3200 appraises at these days, I'd love to see it!) That being said, I do believe the vessel in question is overpriced, since it has no rig and comes with no extras.
Listing prices might get up around $55k but unless you are talking absolutely perfect condition, expect the actual sale prices to be a good deal lower.

I took 5 min poking around and found several in the mid $40k range (some expired advertisements). Knocking $5k off to get to $40k is a pretty reasonable assumption.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 10:04   #13

Re: Rerigging a Gemini

Quote:
I took 5 min poking around and found several in the mid $40k range (some expired advertisements). Knocking $5k off to get to $40k is a pretty reasonable assumption.
Where are you looking?
Old 25-09-2016, 06:02   #14
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

if the gemini you are thinking of buying is in Maine or somewhere up thier on the hard, I got this guy to sell it for $18000 PM me for more information if this is the boat it was like in some town with a C??
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 20:01   #15

Boat: Macgregor 26M in SF bay, Bayliner 175BR in JAX FL

Contact Peter Gulick at the Catamaran Company in St Augustine. Honest dealer who will steer you in the right direction to get a reasonable Gemini.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jbpatents is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, rerigging, rigging