Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 09:21   #1
cruiser

Azores-Where to Stay, What's to See

Hello,

I'm back on the forum following a rather busy winter here in New England which included lot's of overtime at work and buying a new boat, and now.... making some plans for this summer which will include a trans Atlantic passage from New Hampshire, USA to Venice, Italy.

Right now, we're trying to figure out how much time to spend in the Azores on our way over to Gibraltar and then on to Italy, Greece and Croatia.

Regarding just the Azores, are there any sheltered anchorages available? Which marinas are best? What sites to see? How much time? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? 3 days? What's the weather like in July?

Thanks for you responses in advance.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Azores-Where to Stay, What's to See

Lajes das Flores on the SE corner is both an anchorage and a small marina.. Flores is reckoned to be the most beautiful in the Azores..
Faial and the port of Horta is next with the famous Peters Sports Bar.. a nice island to explore.. in July you will likely have to anchor as its the height of the crossings season.. the bottom is artificial and consists of large stone/concrete lumps but is sheltered and pretty secure.. if you want a marina spot you may have to wait a few days.
Catch the ferry over to Pico across the way.. well worth the visit and.. if your fit and into hiking you can trek up the volcano which is popular with many who go there.. visible from upto 50nm away in perfect conditions..
Terciera, there's a good anchorage at Praia de Vitoria on the NE end of the island.. good holding in sand and a good base for exploring the island.. US Airforce base on the island so a few countrymen for you to hang with if you choose.
Sao Miguel is also worth a stop.. the largest island but worth the visit.. only marinas and day anchorages however..
They are lovely islands and well worth the stopover Ken.. take your time and enjoy them.. they are unique..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:54   #3
cruiser

Re: Azores-Where to Stay, What's to See

Thanks so much Phil.

How's late June into the first part of July for making the trans Atlantic crossing? 'Looking to experience nice weather, no worries.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:11   #4
cruiser

Anyone else been to the Azores or crossed the Atlantic in late June, early July?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:01   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Azores-Where to Stay, What's to See

The couple of times I have done the Bermuda Azores route were both stormy.. in 2004 and '05 I got clobbered each time..
'04 just N of Bermuda a large wave dumped on me popping the fwd bulkhead and unseated some tabbing round the main bulkhead ahead of the mast.. turned back to NC.. April-May...
'05 I experienced 3 strong N'lies.. the last just W of Flores.. 5 days of 60kt winds and rain that had visibility down to 50 to 100metres most of the time for the final 2 days.. as it lifted on the final day Flores appeared 5nm ahead of me with water streaming down the cliffs in multiple cataracts.. this was June-July..
Both times the new Simrad WP belt failed me and a lot of hand steering was for the rest of the way.. solo.
This was an old HC37.. on a bigger boat you should have an easier/more cpmfortable trip.
This is the reason I prefer the longer W to E crossings from further S like Florida or the Caribe direct to the Azores.. ride the bottom of the systems to the N.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:00   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Congratulations on the new boat!

Others will disagree (), but I think that's just the right size for a couple.

My answer to your question -- every single one of the various sailors I know who have crossed via the Azores, have loved it there. By all accounts, it's a place worth spending some time in.

You might also consider crossing by the Northerly route via Ireland, as TJ and his crew did on Rocket Science. It's faster, shorter, and interesting sailing, with likely better wind. Then you can make your way to the Med at your leisure by the usual route.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:57   #7
cruiser

Thanks Dockhead,

Yes, we think it fits just right for the two of us, yet it’s still small enough for me to single-hand. OrinocoFlo (Pam) doesn’t want to make the Atlantic passage, says she has “more interesting things to do,” so presently I’m looking at a three week stop over in the Azores so she we can meet up and spend some time sightseeing. Then I’ll continue on with a new crew and meet up with her again in Gibraltar.

Cheers

Ken
Old 02-05-2018, 07:21   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks Dockhead,

Yes, we think it fits just right for the two of us, yet it’s still small enough for me to single-hand. OrinocoFlo (Pam) doesn’t want to make the Atlantic passage, says she has “more interesting things to do,” so presently I’m looking at a three week stop over in the Azores so she we can meet up and spend some time sightseeing. Then I’ll continue on with a new crew and meet up with her again in Gibraltar.

Cheers

Ken
If that's the same Oyster 62 I know, it has a separate working cockpit like many of the Swans do -- terrific! Nice boat with completely different level of performance from your old one. A real mile eater.

Have you closed the deal?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-05-2018, 08:20   #9

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Visit their botanical gardens.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:21   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If that's the same Oyster 62 I know, it has a separate working cockpit like many of the Swans do -- terrific! Nice boat with completely different level of performance from your old one. A real mile eater.

Have you closed the deal?
Yes, the deal is closed and we now own it. This picture of sistership “Uhuru of Lymington,” shows the deck layout from above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A4F2B76-B88B-438D-987D-41AF1E77E8A8.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	169116  
Old 02-05-2018, 13:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes, the deal is closed and we now own it. This picture of sistership “Uhuru of Lymington,” shows the deck layout from above.
Love the cockpit arrangement! I don't know why more boats don't have this -- they've been around since at least the '70's, on S&S designed Swans. Solves the problem of the short handed sailor with non-sailors in the cockpit -- crawling over them to sail the boat -- ugh! I spent some miles on a Swan 90 with this and absolutely loved it.
Walt Whitman
Old 02-05-2018, 13:57   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

welcome back Ken,

We have been to the azores a couple times. Had pretty decent runs across along about 38Nish. a couple gales each time but nothing that would bother that boat.

Boatie has given you the straight scoop on the Azores cruising - terrific islands. We were there one year in time to see the bulls run which was fun.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 14:17   #13

Only been there once (Nordhavn Rally, sorry, power) but thought it was a fantastic place to visit. Don't miss seeing the damage to the town (Faial, I think) that was covered from the recent, 1957 (?), volcano, tragic but very interesting. Lighthouse, rooftops, chimneys etc visible.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 14:40   #14

Boat: Custom 55

Hey Ken, welcome back. Nice boat you've got there...

Rocket Science is in the Gibraltar area until July, so look us up when you get there.

Reserve your slip now if you want to get into Gib, by the way. Availability is tight, from our experience.

TJ
Old 02-05-2018, 14:42   #15

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Congratulations on the new boat!

Others will disagree (), but I think that's just the right size for a couple.

My answer to your question -- every single one of the various sailors I know who have crossed via the Azores, have loved it there. By all accounts, it's a place worth spending some time in.

You might also consider crossing by the Northerly route via Ireland, as TJ and his crew did on Rocket Science. It's faster, shorter, and interesting sailing, with likely better wind. Then you can make your way to the Med at your leisure by the usual route.
I can confirm that fast and windy was our experience on this route... Really, we just wanted to visit Newfoundland again-that was the main driver of that routing. We loved that place.

Tags
Azores