Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 12:31   #1

Boat: In the market for the time being!
Opinions on Cheoy Lee 38 Offshore (1980)

I cannot seem to find much info on the CL 38 off shore. We have 3 little kids < 7 yrs old. The cabin layout is highly ideal with the split vberth bunks, extra 1/4 berth and double aft stateroom. Planning East Coast and Caribbean cruising. So, the low draft in an offshore capable boat is also ideal. This boat seems to be in sail-away condition with a lot of work done.

My concerns:
Mainly - storage. It's only a 12 beam and with such an ideal layout, it seems like storage had to have been sacrificed? Also, small head / single head. No idea what the black tank size is and I can't find that listed anywhere. We're not super into the composting head idea. I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews on sailability, though it sounds like this boat handles quite well and goes to windward well.

Work done:
All standing / running rigging replaced in last 10 years including the mast, spars (previously wood), stays and upgraded to newer self tailing winches. Teak removed and all grip with mesh installed. All portals/hatches replaced (though 2 need re-bedding already). Bottom paint last fall. Engine is a re-powered beta marine 43hp with only 50 hours on it. It has everything we'd need except solar, epirb and a dingy. I mean everything! Including chart plotter, radar, vhf (with cockpit remote), ais, inverter, gas stove, 12v fridge, hot water system with exchanger, AC system, autopilot, davits and the list goes on and on, all in working order and much of it < 10 years old including haul out and bottom paint last year.
maplemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 13:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Opinions on Cheoy Lee 38 Offshore (1980)

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice.
You did ask for opinions.

Quick Opinion:

Based on what I saw, in the layout and photos, I think the boat Asking Price $50K is high, or overpriced, when compared to comparable size and quality and age and outfitted boats.

If I had three kids, I would not choose that boat.
Why?

1. I don't think the split twins in the forward cabin will be convenient, as the top bunk is small and high.

Have you actually been on that boat?
Have you looked at the forward berths with an eye to how your small children will get into and sleep in that high bunk when at sea or at night?

2. Single head and five people.

In short, I would keep looking.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9616.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	166554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9617.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	166555  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 14:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, but is not what you want to hear:

Quick Opinion:

Based on what I saw, in the layout and photos, I think the boat Asking Price $50K is high, or overpriced, when compared to comparable size and quality and age and outfitted boats.

If I had three kids, I would not choose that boat.
Why?
I don't think the split twins in the forward cabin will be convenient, as the top bunk is small and high.

Have you actually been on that boat?
Have you looked at the forward berths with an eye to how your small children will get into and sleep in that high bunk when at sea or at night?

In short, I would keep looking.

Hope that helps.
As always, appreciate the response!

Very much seems like a boat I need to be on to determine. I guess I'm more concerned about storage. We have all but ruled out 38ft boats, though the financial aspect of a < 40ft would be nice.

The split twins to us are ideal for a 45 inch, 50 inch kid. Think it would be too small of an area? Our 3rd child is < 6 months old. She'll fit in the engine compartment... kidding of course!
Old 19-03-2018, 06:54   #4

Boat: 53' Cutter

1. The boat will sail and handle well.

2. These were not equipped from the factory with black water tanks. If there is one, it was installed by a previous owner.

3. Have you and your wife spent a solid week together with the kids, without going to work or school, in one room of your house (kitchen is best, sleep there too), and only use one bathroom, limit your water usage to less than two gallons per person per day for everything, with no TV, and no regular internet for the entire time?

4. You can get comfortable with anything. Kids get comfortable and adapt faster. The bunks are manageable with lee cloths.

5. That layout prevents adult privacy. With three kids, I am going to go out on a limb and say you are going to want more bedroom privacy than that boat offers.

6. Ventilation on a cruising boat is so much more important than most people realize. Pay close attention to that when boat shopping.

7. Your kids might be 48" tall right now, but they will very quickly be much taller, and have much larger appetites, and want more privacy.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 09:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsWithFists View Post
1. The boat will sail and handle well.

2. These were not equipped from the factory with black water tanks. If there is one, it was installed by a previous owner.

3. Have you and your wife spent a solid week together with the kids, without going to work or school, in one room of your house (kitchen is best, sleep there too), and only use one bathroom, limit your water usage to less than two gallons per person per day for everything, with no TV, and no regular internet for the entire time?

4. You can get comfortable with anything. Kids get comfortable and adapt faster. The bunks are manageable with lee cloths.

5. That layout prevents adult privacy. With three kids, I am going to go out on a limb and say you are going to want more bedroom privacy than that boat offers.

6. Ventilation on a cruising boat is so much more important than most people realize. Pay close attention to that when boat shopping.

7. Your kids might be 48" tall right now, but they will very quickly be much taller, and have much larger appetites, and want more privacy.
We lived in an 20ft camper all last year traveling around the country. No doors except on the bathroom...

The one thing we kept saying all year: We need a door! We're not super picky... just one door for privacy somewhere would be nice. lol

The owner didn't know the size of the black tank... if it didn't come with one, I'm guessing there just isn't one. Between that and it having a CNG stove with a questionable location for the LP (if we converted it), we're going to pass. And like you said, it's limited in privacy and basically the minimum that would work.

Was interesting considering.

Tags
cheoy lee, offshore