Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 20:50   #16

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Boat Speed problems with my Hunter 386

A year's worth of growth, locked prop, and towing a dinghy.

Seems that could easily be a knot and a half deficit all told.

Add that to your reported speeds and the numbers start to seem more reasonable.
Old 18-08-2016, 21:07   #17

Boat: Catalina 387

My aged Catalina 30 in the same wind speeds would easily exceed the reported velocity of the OP's 38' boat.

Clean the bottom.
Trim the sails (get help if necessary)
Enjoy the 6kt speeds.

I can get my boat in the 6's in 10-15kt winds everywhere but DDW. And my boat is a pig. A modern Hunter should be able to get to hull speed in 15kt wind on a reach.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 21:46   #18
cruiser

The underside of your hull is probably covered with marine growth, ours looked like a three inch fur coat two weeks ago here in the Med. It can't be seen from the surface, dive under and have a look. Also, barnacles are a problem here.

Most likely, this is your problem.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 03:02   #19

I'm going to talk to the next marina I pass and try and get it lifted for a clean. Seems to be the general consensus that it's the main problem here.

Frankly, I'm really happy that this isn't normal speed. I was very disappointed in how slow the boat was compared with my expectations. I'll do what I can to get this speed improved and report back.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, you guys rock! Any more ideas, keep em coming and I'll keenly try them out.
ryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 03:16   #20

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Example on a hunter 430 i motored to the yard doing 5.7 knots after 14 months in the water. Cleaned the bottom and the prop and came back at 8.1.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 04:23   #21

Exciting! Can't wait to test this!

Quick related question. If I manage to get it taken out today, I just spray it with a pressure wash until the antifouling is off, wait for it to dry, and repaint with a new coat of antifouling, right?
ryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 04:34   #22

too slow... fouled bottom. if speed is from gps... consider so foul current.. if from a paddle wheel speedo.. that's fouled... Bottom paints suck.. you need to have your bottom scrubbed. Then report back
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 04:36   #23

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Hmmmm, where do i start.....

First pressure wash, get the slime and barnacles off and clean and scrape the propeller. If your antifouling is damaged, there is sanding and alot more to it than just rolling on new paint.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 04:51   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryall View Post

One problem I have is the main doesn't go out well because of the spreaders facing aft. Should I let the sail touch them or stop letting it out just before they touch?
I've been putting my main on the spreaders if needed for the point of sail for 8 years with no problems.
Old 19-08-2016, 04:58   #25

You can add stick on sail repair patches as chafe protection! You can see some staining where you need it ;-)
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 06:38   #26

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryall View Post
Exciting! Can't wait to test this!

Quick related question. If I manage to get it taken out today, I just spray it with a pressure wash until the antifouling is off, wait for it to dry, and repaint with a new coat of antifouling, right?

So you are dragging a bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 07:07   #27

Boat: Catalina 30

You don't need to do a haul out to clean the hull. You can hire a diver to clean it for probably less money. Now if the anti-fouling paint is no longer viable then yes you should do the haul out, scrub, sand, and paint.

Also as far as trim goes, remember, "When in doubt let it out". If you think you are trimmed properly let the sails out slowly until your tell tales start to luff, then trim in just enough to get them to fly straight. If you had to let them out a lot then you were over trimmed which kills speed.
Old 19-08-2016, 12:00   #28

I also have a Hunter 386. She regularly does 6 knots in a 10 to 12 knot wind.

Suggest that you check the bottom for growth and then the sails.

Good luck
stevev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 14:02   #29

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Question? Did you not take the boat for a test sail as part of the pre-purchase process? Ditto on hauling her out as part of the survey? And those are just a couple of the standard checks.
So if they were skipped, you'd be wise to do a good bit of studying on the boat buying process. Probably before having her hauled, so that you're more knowledgeable of what bo both expect, & look at when you do have her hauled.

That, & vett a few surveyors, & then have the top one present when you have the boat hauled. So that he can inspect things in order to make recommendations to you in terms of what maintenance below the waterline she may need... aside from a good cleaning, & probably new antifouling.

There's plenty of info on both pre-purchase checks, & checklists here on the forums, as well as online. And the same is true about surveys, & surveyors. With boatpoker's site on; boats, surveys, & surveyors being a good one. http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/

boatpoker being a member here. Along with a number of others as well. And some damned fine boat repairers & builders, who know loads about how boats are put together, what to look for when evaluating them, & of course, how to fix them.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 16:27   #30

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

FIRST get a diver to scrape the hull and clean the prop. That will eliminate 90% of speed issues. Haul outs should be reserved for when you need them to repair something or repaint. Bottom cleaning about $100. Haul out $400+ any labor to do whatever. Boat speed is never a good reason to haul out.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter