Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 13:29   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hunter Sailboat Abandoned at Sea, Loose Keel Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Are you still referring to keels?
Well I'm definitely not talking about swinging my balls on the beach..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 15:04   #47

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Hunter Sailboat Abandoned at Sea, Loose Keel Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sailorboy,

As I wrote in an earlier post, the video suggestion was sent to me via YouTube suggestions... Nothing was searched using the word Hunter. It was only after watching the video. That I noticed the boat looked like our former 450.

Yesterday, I'd also requested that the moderators change the thread title to something more generic, leaving out the word "Hunter" in the title and in my initial post in order to stimulate debate more on the topic of preparedness and safety. I wasn't aware when I created this thread that the rescue was from 2003, I thought it was recent because of the publish date on YouTube.

BTW: Before you head out this spring, check your keel bolts. I'll also be checking mine.
I don't get it: the boat is a Hunter!!!!

I could not find on internet anything regarding that accident but from the movie we can see that:

They relied on water from a watermaker and from powdered desiccated food that need water to be consumed.

They were not able to turn the engine on, they did not had a generator neither any other way to produce energy. Had flat batteries and no way to charge them.

The boat was not sinking and was on its waterline.

So even if they had a small water ingress they had not energy to run the pumps but worse they had no water and no way to produce it (they were already at see for 15 days) and no way to prepare food (for lack of water).

They said that the keel bolts were moving but if they abandoned the boat for not having water, no food and no energy no way a insurance company would cover a claim on the boat loss and they would need some other cause that excluded lack of preparation to justify the boat abandon.

Not saying it was the case but the truth is that the boat is not sinking neither it was significantly flooded.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 15:15   #48

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well I'm definitely not talking about swinging my balls on the beach..
LMAO!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 17:56   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by teveau169 View Post
Hi!
I have a 31 Mainship so I don't have to worry about keels or deep drafts for that matter. However, I have a very good friend and an accomplished sailor and sailing instructor who owns as operates a Hunter 40' sailing yatch. The boat performed a round the world trip shortly before he purchased her and he has used her, keel and all without any keel problems for several years now. I also see many sailors in Hunters of all sizes as I traverse coastal marinas and sailing areas and none of them have reported any keel problems with their Hunter sailboats. I have to conclude from my observations that Hunter is getting a bad rap based on scant evidence of wide spread product failure. One last point: as far as a Hunter loosing a keel because the fools that sailed her ran directly into a reef, no sail or power boat builder can be held responsible for such 'bad luck' or poor sailing.
So with this little wee sample of your personal experiences you are able to come to a strong conclusion?
Doesn't make much sense to me. I see boats all over the place and I have my personal biases but I'm not going to make a statement one way or the other as to who's keels are falling off.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 21:06   #50

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I
They said that the keel bolts were moving but if they abandoned the boat for not having water, no food and no energy no way a insurance company would cover a claim on the boat loss and they would need some other cause that excluded lack of preparation to justify the boat abandon.

Not saying it was the case but the truth is that the boat is not sinking neither it was significantly flooded.
Owner's problem, not the delivery crew's. And you don't know that the boat was not sinking, not the amount water coming in and not how much they had hand bailed..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:04   #51

Boat: Tartan 40

If you watch video, near the end you see delivery captain describing keel bolts working back and forth as boat rocked. I'd probably get off as well since this could indicate a significant risk of keel falling off. Could be more than a loose keel bolt. Perhaps several sheared off and the remaining were working loose? Perhaps laminate was compromised?

Practical sailor has an article on keel bolts this month. Biggest takeaway for me is that builders often don't follow design specs for thickness of laminate by bolts, and many rely on grid rather than hull thickness there. Fine until a hard grounding exceeds specs.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:10   #52

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Owner's problem, not the delivery crew's. ...

BR Teddy
You mean is not for a delivery crew a problem to say to an owner that they abandoned a boat because they were not able to start the engine and therefore no batteries, neither water (watermaker) or food (dessicated food)? Don't you think that it is up to a delivery crew to gather the conditions for a safe passage, namely food and water and the means to produce energy?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:25   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You mean is not for a delivery crew a problem to say to an owner that they abandoned a boat because they were not able to start the engine and therefore no batteries, neither water (watermaker) or food (dessicated food)? Don't you think that it is up to a delivery crew to gather the conditions for a safe passage, namely food and water and the means to produce energy?
Polux.. its modern day sailing.. didn't you know..??
Water tanks are obsolete these days.... along with emergency water in 5litre cans in case of fouled tanks due to bad water.
Also.. its an American boat and crew.. their tap water is more often than not undrinkable and you would not believe the life one finds coming out of the spout 2 weeks out of N Carolina or Florida..
Why dya think everyone drinks bottled water over there.
Brings to mind the Oyster abandoned because they had no nav due to inability to charge the I-Pad.. or means to cook.. N of Bermuda a few years back.. another 'Experienced Sailor'..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:05   #54

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Sh** happens but it's not that delivery crew's responsibility is to rebuild boat's before deliveries. They can assess what risks they take considering the seaworthiness of the boat in question, take it or leave it, take their personal safety gear and do it. The owner has responsibility of the boat what comes to omitted maintenance, surveys and what the insurance covers or not..
And still you don't know how big was the leak but it was what destroyed the batteries..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:33   #55

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Polux.. its modern day sailing.. didn't you know..??
Water tanks are obsolete these days.... along with emergency water in 5litre cans in case of fouled tanks due to bad water.
Also.. its an American boat and crew.. their tap water is more often than not undrinkable and you would not believe the life one finds coming out of the spout 2 weeks out of N Carolina or Florida..
Why dya think everyone drinks bottled water over there.
Brings to mind the Oyster abandoned because they had no nav due to inability to charge the I-Pad.. or means to cook.. N of Bermuda a few years back.. another 'Experienced Sailor'..
I have three filters on my NC water. In a worst case scenario I could stay alive on just the green algae that still makes it through. It appears to be scientifically impossible but ... .

I'd say the most important gizmo ever invented for self-styled experienced modern sailors is the EPIRB.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:39   #56

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I have three filters on my NC water. In a worst case scenario I could stay alive on just the green algae that still makes it through. It appears to be scientifically impossible but ... .

I'd say the most important gizmo ever invented for self-styled experienced modern sailors is the EPIRB.
I've always drank water that supports life. I expect I'll live well into my fifties. So, no probs.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:41   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

My yucky trip from Beaufort to the UK in '05 on an old Hunter 37 I was filling a 5L jug and letting it stand till the 'life' settled then siphon off the top half and boil.. the 'life' then abandoned ship..

Old 02-05-2016, 06:43   #58

The cats and dogs, crabs and goats here pray for a fresh muddy puddle to sip from.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:52   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The cats and dogs, crabs and goats here pray for a fresh muddy puddle to sip from.
Ahhh.. but..!! their immune systems have not been screwed up by antibacterial cleaners and constant consumption of antibiotics etc. in their diet.
My systems pretty tough but solo 1000nm from land in a blow. severe stomach cramps and the runs/upchucking is not my favourite past time..

Old 02-05-2016, 06:58   #60

This is why we drink lite beers. It's cleaner and clearer than tap water.

Tags
hunter, keel, keel bolts, sail, sailboat