Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 17:41   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hunter Sailboat Abandoned at Sea, Loose Keel Bolts

I do think that boats that are abandoned should be scuttled.. they can be a serious hazard to navigation to small boats for quite a long time.
I wonder if anyone has ever got in trouble or lost insurance cover for saying they scuttled the boat on abandonment in the report.??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 20:20   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Hunter Sailboat Abandoned at Sea, Loose Keel Bolts

Quote:
I wonder if anyone has ever got in trouble or lost insurance cover for saying they scuttled the boat on abandonment in the report.??
Yes, that would be very interesting to know.

Ann
Old 19-04-2016, 21:33   #33

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger62 View Post
Hello Teddy.
A course in damage control teaches to never go to sea without tools for one.
The major thing that bothered me from the beginning is that it had to of been hours from the time the mayday went out until the freighter arrived on scene and the boat was still floating on her lines so how much water could there have been to deal with.
True but how much of this is the responsibility of the delivery crew if the owner didn't care. Talking about the damage to or loss of the boat, not about injuries and lives.
Let's assume they had been hand bailing 24 hours by the time of the rescue, to keep the boat safe untill possible rescue. So boat leaking maybe 10gallons/minute, loose keel, no weather forecast, maybe handheld radio good for some Nm and a ship arrived to pick you up. Stay or abandon? Again not your boat and as a delivery skipper you have your responsibilty of the crew too..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 22:11   #34
cruiser

Before our delivery crew departed from the UK four years ago, a complete inspection and inventory of our boat was carried out, and any missing essentials needed to be purchased prior to the Captain leaving the dock. Repairs were carried out, even very minor ones, and all electronics checked. The delivery crew members each possessed their own navigation computers or iPads, and personal safety equipment.

We were only going from Ipswich, England over to Guernsey, but we did hit an unexpected Force 8 which caused us to layover in Southern England for an extra day. I was just a passenger until Guernsey, but I felt very safe and secure with those fellows in control.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 05:45   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

I wanted to know know more about the boat in question so did various internet searches for "Hunter sailboat abandoned at sea", and variations of it. The number one search result was this thread. I did get a hit for a a rudder related abandonment. You would think based on internet forums that Hunter boats are getting abandoned right and left, but I can not find documentation of it.
Old 20-04-2016, 06:10   #36
cruiser

Sailorboy,

As I wrote in an earlier post, the video suggestion was sent to me via YouTube suggestions... Nothing was searched using the word Hunter. It was only after watching the video. That I noticed the boat looked like our former 450.

Yesterday, I'd also requested that the moderators change the thread title to something more generic, leaving out the word "Hunter" in the title and in my initial post in order to stimulate debate more on the topic of preparedness and safety. I wasn't aware when I created this thread that the rescue was from 2003, I thought it was recent because of the publish date on YouTube.

BTW: Before you head out this spring, check your keel bolts. I'll also be checking mine.
Old 20-04-2016, 06:52   #37
CLOD

I was just saying that it made me wonder so I searched about this boat. I'm just saying that regardless of the internet "chatter" Hunter's don't appear to be getting abandoned at sea any more than any other boat and counting the U-Tube video on this thread I only found 2 (that's this 1 and 1 other).

I don't "blow off" boat problems as not happening because it was a Hunter. If it was a Hunter I want to know more details not less.
Old 20-04-2016, 13:59   #38

Hi!
I have a 31 Mainship so I don't have to worry about keels or deep drafts for that matter. However, I have a very good friend and an accomplished sailor and sailing instructor who owns as operates a Hunter 40' sailing yatch. The boat performed a round the world trip shortly before he purchased her and he has used her, keel and all without any keel problems for several years now. I also see many sailors in Hunters of all sizes as I traverse coastal marinas and sailing areas and none of them have reported any keel problems with their Hunter sailboats. I have to conclude from my observations that Hunter is getting a bad rap based on scant evidence of wide spread product failure. One last point: as far as a Hunter loosing a keel because the fools that sailed her ran directly into a reef, no sail or power boat builder can be held responsible for such 'bad luck' or poor sailing.
teveau169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 14:26   #39

Boat: Formosa 41

It looks to me like the biggest problem they had was no engine due to dead batteries.

A battery booster or a small pull start generator might have saved the boat here.

Through my idiocy I've been in their position with a dead engine but by the grace of God just barely managed to start the diesel generator.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 20:45   #40

What's the best way to check the keel bolts, our boat is on the hard and no signs of cracks between the keel and haul.
BabyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 21:14   #41
cruiser

Our prior boat showed signs of weeping from the keel/hull joint when it was hauled out during survey. The weeping continued for an entire day and the bilge water was salty. If your boat isn't exhibiting these kinds of symptoms, then ask the manufacturer what the proper torque on the bolts should be and then check them using a torque wrench.

So far, the keel joint looks good on our Oyster.
Old 29-04-2016, 06:50   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJ View Post
What's the best way to check the keel bolts, our boat is on the hard and no signs of cracks between the keel and haul.
If you had this boat from new, I would just look at the bolts from the top (in the bilge) and if they are mint, I would ASSUME they are OK.

The longer route is, when in any doubt, drop the keel, inspect, fix if required.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:01   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hunter Sailboat Abandoned at Sea, Loose Keel Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you had this boat from new, I would just look at the bolts from the top (in the bilge) and if they are mint, I would ASSUME they are OK.

The longer route is, when in any doubt, drop the keel, inspect, fix if required.

b.

It would not hurt to check that they are 'Torqued Up' every couple of years.. lets face it.. its not like they are massive nuts..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:15   #44

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Polux issued stats that only 2 cruising monos since 1984 sunk due keel issues. Now I know for 4 already.

Add another one from that AUS movie after true events where keel hit reef and parted and boat sunk and great white eat nearly all of crew and we are at 5 already.
One of the things that really pisses me up is people saying that I said things I did not said. Before making wrong statements about what others have said you should check what they actually had said and see if you got it right or mislead what was said (and that is obviously the case).

If you have doubts, please quote what I had actually said.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 13:19   #45
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

It would not hurt to check that they are 'Torqued Up' every couple of years.. lets face it.. its not like they are massive nuts..
Are you still referring to keels?

Tags
hunter, keel, keel bolts, sail, sailboat